Game-Labs Forum

Trincomalee

trincomalee is a beautifull ship and not a bad one eighter...but i was thinking maybe you could give her some more turning/speed because she is not fast enough to maunver with a surprise and i thnk than not enogh fire power against constitution and bigger ships...it could be just me tho that i suck sailing her.But i would like to know what others think

post-5472-0-99505600-1417385277_thumb.jpg

Its hard to handle indeed, but if u try manual sail adjusting instead of auto skipper whan turn, it can get quite nice effect, specialy whan your opponent assuming your turn rate is very low and no expecting find himself in situation eye to eye against your cannons;)

It fits fine between the Surprise and the Constitution. It won't turn as well as the Surprise as it's a good bit larger but it will batter it with it's larger guns. It does turn faster than the Constitution however. I used the Trincomalee earlier with another Surprise and Brig to defeat a Constitution and a Surprise.

Yeah I think Trinco is fine as she is. Surprise is actually a corvette, or light frigate, so she should be swift and agile. Constitution is a super-heavy frigate, she should have the advantage in a muzzle-to-muzzle fight. You just have to adjust tactics accordingly. Also correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like Trinco is actually a bit faster than Surprise on certain points of sail. I broke 15 knots earlier today before the wind, Surprise usually manages about 11 or 12 knots on the same point of sail.

• Like 1

Yeah I think Trinco is fine as she is. Surprise is actually a corvette, or light frigate, so she should be swift and agile. Constitution is a super-heavy frigate, she should have the advantage in a muzzle-to-muzzle fight. You just have to adjust tactics accordingly. Also correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like Trinco is actually a bit faster than Surprise on certain points of sail. I broke 15 knots earlier today before the wind, Surprise usually manages about 11 or 12 knots on the same point of sail.

I got 15.1 kts too. It will make a good interceptor in the open world battles especially with the 4 chase guns. So its trade off is really just turning which I think is because of the length of the hull but it doesnt matter when its faster than most of the ships ingame. Maybe its even faster than the constitution. :huh:

Too bad its limited right now to the small battle zone.

trinco suffer mainly by the lack of guns on the stern, also, turning ain`t getting better as you get bigger ship, unfortunately. you`ll often find small flock of ships sailing at your back and you won`t be able to target them until you take some distance from them.

It's a huge step up in firepower from the Surprise. But you pay a significant price in maneouverability though. To be expected.

The Trinco also suffers from a trait that her class reportedly had: they tended to significantly heel under crosswinds. And the in game model really does. This is one of the ships I don't want to take upwind from an enemy if I'm planning for a long range engagement. Because then you'll be simply unable to achieve the needed elevation for long range shooting. Using battlesails helps a bit, but for true long range engagement is either fully drop your sails to be able to fire at long range, or not being able to shoot at all. And of course on the windward side is the opposite, you can't depress guns enough, so close range shooting is complicated.

I like that it's a ship of compromises. You get a much stronger punch than the Surprise, a much more resiliant vessel (Trinco's armor is great), you're lightning quick (I've reached 15.4knots with 135º wind with it) and still is maneouverable enough. Heeling is a problem and if you're used to dance in your small ships you'll feel the lesser maneouverability, though.

oh and the lack of rear chasers is a significant bummer. But four fore chasers are amazing. Again...tradeoffs :).

(I downright beat a Constitution with a Trinco, btw. Slipped fast to close quarters and there used my superior maneouverability and some nifty tricks to unleash several double broadsides with double shot on his sides and stern. I got away pretty mauled, but the Consti went down :). It's a fine ship. It just requires a different sailing style from that of the Surprise).

• Like 2

Trincomalee is getting another knot of speed this Friday
Bear in mind that it is a heavy frigate, it's a wet frigate (it has more roll and pitch). It's stiff.
But it is one of the fastest frigates and has excellent close haul angles. More than 40 ships were built based on its design which originated from French Hebe/ and later British Leda

Basically You are are sailing the real Leda class Captain.

• Like 1

My opinion: when you sail Trinco after Surprise you can feel the force and solid of the ship....I think there is no balance issue at the moment. Just remember Trincomalee isn't a light frigate/corvette.

As on every heavy warship you need to help yourself with manual skeeper if you want gain max out of the ship

Trincomalee is getting another knot of speed this Friday

Hmm.. Every time I fight a trinco in my surprise I have a very hard time keeping up with her.

She already is pretty fast. A whole knot? Maybe thats a bit over the top.

But we will see how it goes. I hopefully can play some more next week.. Got some RL stuff going on.

Once I have the trinco Ill give you my cents on her.

Yeah I think Trinco is fine as she is. Surprise is actually a corvette, or light frigate, so she should be swift and agile. Constitution is a super-heavy frigate, she should have the advantage in a muzzle-to-muzzle fight. You just have to adjust tactics accordingly. 

+100

Nothing more to add.