Game-Labs Forum

Add markers to show limits of gun elevation.

Elevation would be ideal however needs to remain simple and not give away to players for instance should just be 100 yards 200 yards 400 yards yadda yadda not telling me how far the enemy ship is or a marker telling me were my shells will land im not for arcade  i want a historical sim thats realistic not a joke

I'm for a very minimalistic UI, I think that fits the flavor of the era, but I think markers showing max elevation/depression wouldn't be a bad idea. Or even at least an artificial horizon of some sort to show your heel angle, so you have some idea if your target is within that window or not. It's easy to get tunnel vision sometimes and not realize you don't have enough elevation/depression because of your heel until it's too late. In reality, since you're obviously heeling with the ship yourself, this wouldn't be so much of a problem. But in the game in order to get a clear idea of your heel angle you have to zoom out and actually look at your ship, which isn't always something you have the liberty of doing.

Elevation would be ideal however needs to remain simple and not give away to players for instance should just be 100 yards 200 yards 400 yards yadda yadda not telling me how far the enemy ship is or a marker telling me were my shells will land im not for arcade  i want a historical sim thats realistic not a joke

They already had this, and I'll have to agree it looks as if it made gunnery too easy.

I'm for a "last elevation" bar, or maybe unmarked hashes, but not anything marked specifically with ranges.

To clarify OP wasn't talking about targeting aids or rangefinding sights or anything like that, just a visual indicator to show how far the guns can traverse.

Yeah this is the idea. Thanx Subutai, my english is not perfect.

My idea IS NOT crosshairs and airplane's HUD style for detailed gunnery. 

Only minimalized markers for elevation limits. The real gunner had their cannon and he had and idea for angle left to elevate or depress  and he can sense the roll of ship. We can't sense this and need some markers.

I like the game system now and I want less markers possible and shoot by "using the Force like Luke Skywalker" XD. Sorry for the simile but is difficult for me explain me in english.

Another idea is see the barrel gun at bottom of the screen and see direct their elevation. Like if you were an master gunner making ranging shots before broadside.

I definitely support some form of indication for elevation limits. This would make firing less frustrating and unpredictable without actually making it easier.

yes. Sigfried idea is very good and will be implemented in the future after the merge with open world back end infrastructure (currently most development focus is on it)

• Like 4

yes. Sigfried idea is very good and will be implemented in the future after the merge with open world back end infrastructure (currently most development focus is on it)

Nice, to consider that in Patrick O'Brian series in Book "The Fortune of War" ,Captain of HMS Shannon show Jack Aubrey some of guns on ship with new kind of gun-sight monted on guns. I am not naval historian, but i think in XIX this was common on battle ships. I support idea of elavation markers ,this be a nice feature to have.

I would also recommend making the elevation limit a very minimalistic, dynamic UI feature.

I don't think anyone wants two more little lines on their screen all the time. The maximum traverse line should only appear when you are aiming near the limit already.

• Like 1

I actually think the line should be left as is (one line) but changed to a transparent like that is thicker and thus easier to keep the mouse properly lined up with.

My main problem is the tiny increments I must move the mouse to make things hit. Gives me RSI. Maybe this is for the best? I certainly don't want it dumbed down so leave it as it is

P.S. Perhaps give people a choice of aimer colours and thicknesses... I wouild like a slightly thicker one that was easier to move smoothly.

I would also recommend making the elevation limit a very minimalistic, dynamic UI feature.

I don't think anyone wants two more little lines on their screen all the time. The maximum traverse line should only appear when you are aiming near the limit already.

I like this. Only visible when limit is near. Or changing colour or wide or form of the actual line is better. Make semitransparent too.

Or making a visual representation of the gun in the lower of the screen side to charging guns indicators.

Sorry but I don't understand. The elevation limit is established by moving the mouse up, we have that now, just move the mouse up to the limit. If we're talking about 'how much up you can get' by waiting for the top of the roll, then wait for that and fire if you get enough elevation. But honestly, if you are wondering if the roll is going to give enough elevation, you probably need to slow down a notch right now. I think we have enough information already, all 'elevation limits' would add is clutter.

Sorry but I don't understand. The elevation limit is established by moving the mouse up, we have that now, just move the mouse up to the limit. If we're talking about 'how much up you can get' by waiting for the top of the roll, then wait for that and fire if you get enough elevation. But honestly, if you are wondering if the roll is going to give enough elevation, you probably need to slow down a notch right now. I think we have enough information already, all 'elevation limits' would add is clutter.

The whole point of adding a visual indicator is so you don't have to move your mouse and mess up your aim just to check and see if you have enough room to traverse. If it really adds too much clutter for some players then the simple solution is to make it an optional addition to the UI.