Game-Labs Forum

How will European and Asian language localizations impact game population?

1 hour ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

Don't really think there is gonna be a boost but hey surprise me.

Would be interesting to see the regions have the most player population, I imagine it's Europe and the U.S.

I would love to see around 1k on the servers at any given time, not sure that will happen.

2 hours ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

Don't really think there is gonna be a boost but hey surprise me.

On GLOBAL we have a DANE clan CN/CCCP (CN is old clan, CCCP is newer one) that is mostly SEA players.  I can tell you for a fact they could get way more players to join if it was localized into Chinese since that is where many of them are from.   They said that many of the more players that would join would make other nations grow as they would want to fight each other in there own time zones to so it would add to the SEA/AU time zone of players.  The only thing is they can't really play on EU cause of the Chinese firewall kills there ping big time.

@chailang and the rest of his clan mates could speak more about this.  Great guys we have had a pleasure to work with over the last year.  Even if some times we both had to rely on google translation to speak with one another.

I know they have volunteer to help localize the language and I'm sure other clans for other languages have or will do so when the game gets closer to finalize.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Iroquois Confederacy said:

Honestly, I'm more curious about the process of localization.  Seems it'd be cool.

Simple translation really. It is only called localisation as in computer games or similar projects you simply cannot 1 on 1 translate. To be too literal wouldn't carry the message or feeling therefore every translation also adapts to the market location it is aimed for(change names to keep puns, change jokes if the translation would sound weird in that language, etc.) hence why its called localisation.

i.e. I had a line once where 'Curtis the Shower Curtain' had to be changed to 'Dave der Duschvorhang' to keep the pun of the initials CC - DD.

Edited by JollyRoger1516
  • Like 2

Snap_2017_06.21_10h09m59s_001.thumb.png.afabb6e4c50fe7f86d83953a5b2dc67c.png

I work translations on the side and a while ago when I applied for a new company they send me a translation test(hence why I can show this here :P ). This is roughly what it looks like although we use programs like MemoQ, etc. But it aint that different. Sometimes additional limits come into place such as translate but have a max character limit per line which is like the biggest pain ever experienced ;)

Edited by JollyRoger1516

8 minutes ago, chailang said:

I'm not looking forward to localization now .

Because this will reduce the quality of the players . So many things happened to me during that time, and I changed

Yah quality is better than quantity any day.  It's like I moved from PvP1 to PvP2 so long ago and happy that while GLOBAL could use some more players, but I"m glade we are not over over populated too.  

2 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Yah quality is better than quantity any day.  It's like I moved from PvP1 to PvP2 so long ago and happy that while GLOBAL could use some more players, but I"m glade we are not over over populated too.  

The quality of these new players is very bad, and it attacks us in other forums 

I think localization is the best without Chinese, and can filter 80% bad players 

4 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Quantity has a quality all its own. - Joseph Stalin. 

• Like 1

What I have always noticed was that through localisation additional language barriers have been opened up instead of breaking them down. While it opens up the game itself the chats become weird as people start heavily talking in their own languages (there is never enough rules/moderation for the chats to be maintained). It also creates strong currentsand divisions in the groups when several clans refuse to communicate in english etc. I of course hope this doesn't happen here but it is something that I ahve experienced without exception so far.

I mean I love translating but sadly I gotta say that it does create a lingual laziness in the players which has massive effects on games.

25 minutes ago, sveno said:

I feel it is to early for localization, later when the interface is getting final and most content is in would be a better time.

As soon you localize, update work is going up for each change.

Aye until the text bits are final the localisation will require constant updating or be behind the patch progress and look weird.