Game-Labs Forum

After the wipe, how should I begin?

Reading the forums I've found that I don't really understand much about the game that's being discussed here.  Especially the PVE and crafting stuff.  To some extent with just what we're actually supposed to be doing.  When I launch my basic cutter and yacht after the wipe what are the first things I should start doing?  I've had my fill of capturing helpless NPC traders, and moved up to battling NPCs with similar number of guns what usually wreck me.  Do I start out by just tooling around looking for small ships to battle until I get enough gold reward to put cannons on my yacht and a privateer, and then take those out and do more of the same?  Do I do the smallest type of missions from the port over and over?  Do I need to go back to tedious stomping of NPC traders to try to collect some useful resources by looting them?  (looting being much more difficult and less profitable now than it used to be, so probably a bigger time sink) 

I suggest join a clan (you don't have to stay in it forever, just to learn the basics) or alternatively find a mentor who has more experience if you can snipe one out from a nation chat and Bud Fox him.

Edited by Kaos

6 minutes ago, Kaos said:

I suggest join a clan (you don't have to stay in it forever, just to learn the basics) or alternatively find a mentor who has more experience if you can snipe one out from a nation chat and Bud Fox him.

You don't even have to join a clan.  Just ask if you can tag along or even hang out on there TS to learn.  I know a lot of guys aren't the best at teaching cause they all ready maxed out there chars, but there are some of us that don't mind taking some one and walking them through things.  I have helped a lot of players in other nations just by private messages in game when they have issues.  

Now the only big problem right now is a lot of us are taking a break from the game until the new patch comes out. I spend most my time on Testbed getting a feel for the new patch so when it hits I'm running and going without any issues.   

• Like 1

It wasn't clear if you've already made a character or not. If I were you, I would join now, create a character on all 3 Live Servers and start playing on the Live Server that is most appropriate for your Time Zone.

Although the Testbed presumably best reflects the game mechanics post wipe, any XP you gain there will not carry over. XP you gain on the Live Servers will. Grind through a few lower ranks in small ships. Ask for help in Nation or Global chat. I'm sure you'll find plenty of folk will to give you gold and ships -- we all know we're about to lose them anyway. Therefore, you probably won't need to worry about making enough gold and ships to support yourself. But practice it a bit so that you are familiar with the concepts. Same with crafting. Try to learn to assemble a few small ships but again, I wouldn't worry too much that you'll need to make what you sail right now. At any rank, you'll probably be able to find someone that will give you one.

Try to rank up enough so that you can crew at least a Cerberus if not a Surprise. The best way to do this is see if some Clan members or others in your nation will do some low level fleet missions. These with give you more XP and you'll learn more than just sailing alone.

Fair sails. 

I've had the game for over a year, but none of my old characters have a significant amount of XP to transfer so I'm starting from scratch in terms of XP.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to beat NPC ships with guns on the test server, because I can try different ships for free until i've lost all the free test server starter gold.  Armed ships always sink me, even if they're much smaller.  I've been attacking ships with much lower battle strength, but after 45+ minutes of manouvering they still sink me even if I manage to create leaks or set them on fire.  Over an hour for zero XP and a lost ship and cargo, LOL.

Anyhow, as I've been losing ships I've started wondering what the actual goal of the game is and how to get there without wasting my time.  Whatever the goal is I'm not getting there by attacking even lightly armed ships, and is risking whatever cannons I can afford to purchase just not going to pay off early on?  

Edited by rownd

4 hours ago, Kaos said:

Joining a clan is a good idea as they can help in many different ways; learning basic sailing, battles, trading and more. PM (private message) me if you are interested. 

It sounds like you most need advice on combat, which I am poorly placed to give - though I do recommend target practice on unarmed traders (TLynx and TCutter have no guns at all; TBrig only has stern chasers; TSnow has 3 guns a side). On the live servers, you'd usually board these for the loot but there basically won't be any to speak of after the wipe so you may as well sink them. You'll get a little gold, XP and PvE marks - all good stuff. Getting your own shots home is only part of the story, but it is at least a start.

You'll need gold if you're not going to sail around in a basic cutter all the time. To earn the gold needed to buy the ship, guns and a few repairs from combat you'll probably need about 8 wins against similar-sized enemies. The game is pretty careless in its definition of similar-sized though - some targets are easier than others. At the moment on Live because gold is so easily found by boarding traders and guns are cheap because you just be one, you can afford to experiment, be reckless, get sunk. After the wipe this freedom vanishes - you really will need those 8 kills else when you do sink you;ll be back in a basic cutter again. Personally I hope the devs significantly increase gold for combat, but it doesn't look like they will.

Once you have some money, the principal way of making more is by trading. Carrying useless NPC goods from a port where they are sold cheaply to one where they are bought at almost twice the price. Or you could do trade missions to much the same effect. As I say, you'll need money to buy the goods in the first place and a ship to carry them in. But the devs have this great wheeze that new players carrying trade goods should be fodder for PvPers. The PvPers in question (and by no means all PvPers fall into this group) aren't particularly good at it so to give them a helping hand they (the devs) have slowed down your trader so it is almost impossible for any PvPer who happens to see you to not capture you and your cargo - which they'll have to throw away as they won't have hold space and foolishly neglected to get any fleet perks.

But, the new game on Testbed hasn't yet gone Live. Perhaps there'll be more changes before it does.

• Like 1

@rownd Two quick questions: What Server are you on? What nationality?

On the PvE server you can practice combat against the AI in relative safety since nothing can attack you. You have to start all combat. On either of the PvP servers you can still go after the AI ships, but you can be attacked (and attack) live players at any time. While PvP players may disparage PvE on the forums, it is a more controlled environment to learn in until you are ready to face other players. Just keep in mind the the AI is pretty stupid compared to most players, but learning techniques for maneuver and controlling your ship gives you a better chance when you switch.

Whichever you choose, jump onto Nation Chat and find folks who might be willing to group up with you to show you the basics. As has been mentioned most clans will help out new members, but it is difficult to know if a particular clan is going to compatible with your play style, goals or just your attitude about things. I personally think joining a clan should be prompted by a bit more than a need for assistance. On the PvE server there are players of all nations that will help out someone no matter what nation they start in, but you can only group with players from yours or an allied nation.

Anyone know how groups work on the test server?  I think you can join anyone's fight (or anyone can join yours, but I'm not sure how it works. Since I haven't seen many players anywhere I've sailed. I have a US character and wouldn't mind sailing with you if I can figure out how it works and where you're sailing.

France is down at Fort-Royal on Martinique, a long way from the US.  I pop into the game now and then at fairly random times for a short sail, so coordinating am meet-up over that distance would be tricky. 

Some time a few months after the wipe I was thinking of taking a long sail completely around the game world - Martinique to Bermuda to the northernmost US port, then all along the continental coasts to the southernmost port and back to Martinique. 

While waiting for the wipe I switched to something more productive than sinking.  (test server)  I redeemed one of the free trader lynxes and have been doing delivery missions, visiting various ports trying to find reasonable missions and the required commodities for them.  $$$  During yesterday evening's couple hours of sailing I actually encountered 5 players between Christiansted and Gustavia, at a time when only about 20 were logged in. 

It sounds like you are figuring it out for yourself, rownd. The greatest thing about this game is the open ended freedom. People who are used to missions and objectives think the game sucks... but in reality, it's beautiful in that it gives you the freedom to do as you please. Wanna be a trader? Go for it. Wanna be a privateer? Do it. Wanna be the most notorious pirate in the sea? Do it. Naval Action gives you the keys to endless replayability, so long as you are willing to do the work to figure out how to accomplish your tasks.

There still isn't much actual purpose to what I'm doing besides exploring the different ports and trying to understand what's available in their markets and at what prices.  However, I was just happy that I saw 5 players sailing around in one session. 

OK, so, a few suggestions - I'd seriously consider setting up some sort of basic crafting operation.  Your labor hours will go to waste if you're not using them for something, and pumping out resources to sell to your nation, or combining them to sell barrels / muskets / food supplies / whatever and selling those.  That will stat you out with some sort of money.  I'd say to do that in your Capital region, because it can't be captured.  Regional bonuses won't matter, as you're not building ships.

That money will in turn set you up for more things.  I'd suggest using the free basic cutter for things until you get up to level 3 - at which point you can take over a Brig or Snow.  Things become significantly easier at this point.  You can take on larger vessels, or pummel weaker ones.  Unfortunately, right now, the first few levels are kinda like a gravity well.  Hard to get out of.  I hope it'll be resolved in time, but it's not impossible.  (I did it starting from scratch on the test bed, which write up you can find here).

So - in a nut shell, set up a revenue stream, run some missions, level up to 3, and get in a square-rigged vessel.  From there, you'll find yourself much more comfortable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

OK, so, a few suggestions - I'd seriously consider setting up some sort of basic crafting operation.  Your labor hours will go to waste if you're not using them for something, and pumping out resources to sell to your nation, or combining them to sell barrels / muskets / food supplies / whatever and selling those.  That will stat you out with some sort of money.  I'd say to do that in your Capital region, because it can't be captured.  Regional bonuses won't matter, as you're not building ships.

That money will in turn set you up for more things.  I'd suggest using the free basic cutter for things until you get up to level 3 - at which point you can take over a Brig or Snow.  Things become significantly easier at this point.  You can take on larger vessels, or pummel weaker ones.  Unfortunately, right now, the first few levels are kinda like a gravity well.  Hard to get out of.  I hope it'll be resolved in time, but it's not impossible.  (I did it starting from scratch on the test bed, which write up you can find here).

So - in a nut shell, set up a revenue stream, run some missions, level up to 3, and get in a square-rigged vessel.  From there, you'll find yourself much more comfortable.

Good points, even if you don't plan to craft you can pick something basic that folks might need. I never produce  coal. I all ways get some new player to make some and buy it off them.  Or just buy it off the store.  Though I put up contracts in the port I"m producing at and let new guys know I have contract for Coal there at almost twice the going port price you bring it to this port.  They will b e happy to do it and they make easy money. I plan and I know others will do this when patch goes live.  Folks will need Coal and Iron for cannons, so that might be something to think about.  You wont see this on testbed, but you will for sure see it one live.  The first few weeks or even month a lot of folks will need just common mats.  Later you can figure out something you might want to craft and set up for that exactly.  Like another thing is set you self up for doing repair kits and sail repair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

You're not an econ player, are you Powederhorn?

Food supplies would be a sensible use of LH - you'll have the raw materials to had for free, after all - but it is needed in such small quantities you'll struggle to find buyers. A shipbuilder who makes nothing else needs no more than 1000 a week, which takes 400 LH, less than half a day's generation. Make this and you'll soon swamp the market.

Muskets?? Have you seen the list of ingredients? Coal, iron ore, fir logs, oak logs, saltpeter and sulphur! If you can assemble this little lot then you're hardly a beginner, and in any case War Supplies (the only thing for which muskets are used) are mainly made by clans.

Barrels. You'll maybe find buyers in a shipbuilding port, but since they require coal, iron,fir and oak, if you have these resources why on earth aren't you making hull repairs? Add hemp and you can make rig repairs. Get hold of some stone to build the workshop and you can make guns. These are items players really do need and crafters won't be able to make them quickly enough. The only problem is you can only put up 10 sell contracts at a time, so no selling rig and hull repairs at all your local ports, or trying to sell every size - even every popular size - of gun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I never produce  coal. I all ways get some new player to make some and buy it off them.

Coal may be worth making yourself (before the wipe it was only coal and iron I never rotated) if only for the gold and silver.

I take it you really farm it out to others to save yourself the LH. You (well, I) was never short of resources before the wipe, even with just 3 slots.

Edited by Remus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Remus said:

Coal may be worth making yourself (before the wipe it was only coal and iron I never rotated) if only for the gold and silver.

I take it you really farm it out to others to save yourself the LH. You (well, I) was never short of resources before the wipe, even with just 3 slots.

Try running 5 level 3 Silver mines and than transferring it over to notes for mods and frigates.  I would send the silver to atwood and than change it to ingets and than run it up to Kidds.  Though with the lack of need for copper I don't have to do the same with the other char cause we used a lot of speed trim and copper plated ships in our PvP in OW.   With that it won't be as important, but coal and iron will be needed. I was burning through it like crazy making cannons for folks and still using it for ship building mats on testbed so yah it's going to be be needed.  Most folks will have a shipyard and workshop if they are a crafter so they will only have three buildings and will prob save those for things that are more needed.   Another thing some one can prob make money off early one is stone blocks.  Though they adjusted those pretty big so it's not like when we first had to build the workshop and Shipyards, but the level 2 and three take a lot of them.

On 5/18/2017 at 4:24 PM, Powderhorn said:

OK, so, a few suggestions - I'd seriously consider setting up some sort of basic crafting operation. 

Since we don't have any free rum this time I decided to try making some, starting with making the barrels.  The 4 ports on Martinque can produce all the resources, but hoo-boy does it cost a fortune to set that production up.  Near 150000 for fir, oak, coal, sugar and iron ore production. I guess I will make a stockpile of rum and shut most of that down and set up new production to make something else.  I know it doesn't make economic sense, but I just wanted to give the process a try.

Hmm, I thought smuggler's flag would let me enter foreign ports?  I was able to enter foreign ports in the past, but today I couldn't.  Does it only work for "traders" type ships?

edit: another testbed wipe, so I'll have to set up production again.  Unfortunately I never got to see if anyone bought any of the rhum I put in the shop  :(

Edited by rownd
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 3:38 AM, rownd said:

Hmm, I thought smuggler's flag would let me enter foreign ports?  I was able to enter foreign ports in the past, but today I couldn't.  Does it only work for "traders" type ships?

Since we can't have traders ships for who knows what reason why can't we at least use the smuggler's flag with the Basic Cutter?  I'd like to be able to sell my products in foreign ports.  The Delivery Missions are pretty much useless.  This is silly.