Game-Labs Forum

Should I get a refund?

No, the game is still plenty populated and will pick up again upon release.

People just like to cite the number of players that were online right after EA release, exaggerate it, and then claim that the drop is the result of their own pet feature request not being implemented.

"This game used to have 10,000 players online every day but then the devs wouldn't put three sets of boobs on the figurehead of my ship, so everyone left."

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Fengist said:

I just purchased Naval Action. Haven't even logged in yet. And now I see how much the player base has dropped in the past year. That scares me. While I still can... should I get a refund?

Go to the European Server. It is populated and the ping, although not excellent, is not debilitating.

2 minutes ago, maturin said:

No, the game is still plenty populated and will pick up again upon release.

People just like to cite the number of players that were online right after EA release, exaggerate it, and then claim that the drop is the result of their own pet feature request not being implemented.

"This game used to have 10,000 players online every day but then the devs wouldn't put three sets of boobs on the figurehead of my ship, so everyone left."

This infuriates me beyond anything else. It is NOT too much to ask for six tits on my ship!

• Like 5

Depends what kind of game you are looking for.

You need a lot of time to get into it, there is no tutorial at all. Theres also a lot of "afk-sailing" gameplay for things like trading or crafting ships needed. It is also a true alpha game, that means a lot of things get changed around, are not balanced yet or broken (economy for example).

If you look for a exceptional nice community and great battle mechanics Naval Action could be something for you.

14 minutes ago, PolishMartyr said:

Go to the European Server. It is populated and the ping, although not excellent, is not debilitating.

That was the plan though I'm in NA. Watched a bunch of the Aussie's videos. 300ms ping didn't seem to bother him.

1 minute ago, JonSnowLetsGo said:

Depends what kind of game you are looking for.

You need a lot of time to get into it, there is no tutorial at all. Theres also a lot of "afk-sailing" gameplay for things like trading or crafting ships needed. It is also a true alpha game, that means a lot of things get changed around, are not balanced yet or broken (economy for example).

If you look for a exceptional nice community and great battle mechanics Naval Action could be something for you.

I was one of the early players in EVE-O and loved it till tier 3 crap came out. Was hoping this game was a chance to relive that fun with cannons.

55 minutes ago, SirSamuelHood said:

aeuO4x8.gif

When I logged into this game some random guy came up to me and explained me the basics on TS for 3+ hours and gave me some nice start items and ships. That was  amazing. Also the atmosphere in clans is just great for the most part.

53 minutes ago, OneEyedSnake said:

your nation will always be very friendly to you, but other nations not always true... or certain individuals... 

Some teasing and shittalk between enemies is a sign of competition and nothing bad in my eyes. But maybe thats just me...

55 minutes ago, Fengist said:

I was one of the early players in EVE-O and loved it till tier 3 crap came out. Was hoping this game was a chance to relive that fun with cannons.

Never played this game, so I cant really say anything about this.

Edited by JonSnowLetsGo

1 hour ago, Fengist said:

I just purchased Naval Action. Haven't even logged in yet. And now I see how much the player base has dropped in the past year. That scares me. While I still can... should I get a refund?

I can´t say yes or no, but the game is dying, and everything the devs do is: for every step forward, 2 steps backwards, that is, to fix one broken feature, they introduce 2 new even worse broken ones.

3 minutes ago, stormridersp said:

I can´t say yes or no, but the game is dying, and everything the devs do is: for every step forward, 2 steps backwards, that is, to fix one broken feature, they introduce 2 new even worse broken ones.

Herein lies the rub for many people. Some old systems, which were more finetuned, were flawed in their core concept. So there was and is a dire need to get those removed. Currently we are experiencing the end of certain experiments and we can aproach the finetuning again.

I certainly wont deny that the game has it's shortcomings, nor can we deny that the game also offers some great features like the combat :)

To get back at op: its a bit of both really. Lower players count is noticable but anyone who tries to find pvp will find it. I tend to quote a friend of mine in that regard: it's as fun as you make it yourself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteelSandwich said:

Herein lies the rub for many people. Some old systems, which were more finetuned, were flawed in their core concept. So there was and is a dire need to get those removed. Currently we are experiencing the end of certain experiments and we can aproach the finetuning again.

I certainly wont deny that the game has it's shortcomings, nor can we deny that the game also offers some great features like the combat :)

To get back at op: its a bit of both really. Lower players count is noticable but anyone who tries to find pvp will find it. I tend to quote a friend of mine in that regard: it's as fun as you make it yourself.

That sounds like the old EVE. I would tell noobs it's a toy, not a game. You play with it to entertain yourself. It won't entertain you.

Thx.

Ok so I'll keep it. Can't log in till tomorrow tho. So next question. I'm an antisocial alpha-type who prefers to solo if he can't lead. In EVE I preferred to learn small ships intimately and take on much larger targets (read bragging rights) and I was a skilled market trader. Any advice on nationality?

Edited by Fengist

41 minutes ago, Fengist said:

Ok so I'll keep it. Can't log in till tomorrow tho. So next question. I'm an antisocial alpha-type who prefers to solo if he can't lead. In EVE I preferred to learn small ships intimately and take on much larger targets (read bragging rights) and I was a skilled market trader. Any advice on nationality?

Solo play? The thing is: The grind is enormous. It´s even worse if you do it solo. The player evolution is simply how many crew you can command. Each ship has its optimum crew size (its maximum), so, the more you advance the ranks, the more crew you can command, which means that your ships are bigger, or, your fleet ships, those ai ships that ride along with you in battle, can be better and bigger. The grind is enormous. People sell a very needed ship crafting resource, like compass wood, in PVP1, for 36k a piece, that means about 4 millions to build an average ship, only in this stuff alone! And it was even worse a patch before, only so you know.

Your best bet to play solo in small ships is to join pirates.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stormridersp said:

Solo play? The thing is: The grind is enormous. It´s even worse if you do it solo. The player evolution is simply how many crew you can command. Each ship has its optimum crew size (its maximum), so, the more you advance the ranks, the more crew you can command, which means that your ships are bigger, or, your fleet ships, those ai ships that ride along with you in battle, can be better and bigger. The grind is enormous. People sell a very needed ship crafting resource, like compass wood, in PVP1, for 36k a piece, that means about 4 millions to build an average ship, only in this stuff alone! And it was even worse a patch before, only so you know.

I guess it's good to manage expectations, but the above is pretty exaggerated, especially if you are happy sailing smaller ships solo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stormridersp said:

The only enormous grind in this game is getting to crafting level 50.  Yes getting to rear admiral can take some time, but is not necessary to enjoy the game.  I rarely take out big ships due to how vulnerable they are, most prefer smaller frigates, which does not take that long to get high enough rank to use, and if you craft labor hour contracts and sell them, you can easily afford an exceptional quality frigate in 2 days or you can craft mid grade notes and sell them after a week of crafting to get to crafting level 15.  

The game is only grindy if your ultimate goal is level 50 crafting and max rank.  But the game is quite enjoyable at mid ranks and commanding 4th and 5th rate ships.  

Level 50 crafting is only obtainable by the most dedicated players to this game.  But it's not necessary to be successful and enjoy the game.  Don't listen to these people complaining about the grind.  I throughly enjoyed the ranking up and testing out new ships I could then fully crew.  

I remember the first time I fully crewed a surprise and then a constitution for the first time.  Great ships that I still pilot all the time even at max rank.

Edited by Yar Matey