Game-Labs Forum

Recommended Reading?

drewww

I'm looking for some reading recommendations about the Civil War. Basically all I've read is Killer Angels when I was in HS many years ago. What should I read now? I'm interested in both fiction and non-fiction. I'm not particularly focused on any specific phase, I just want to hear about the writing that you thought taught you the most about the war, time period, tactics, and technologies. 

While not directly related, sun tzu"s art of War is the next you should read. 

It's not long or grand in any way but rather takes a simple approach to things and look at what a commander should and should not do. 

Even though it's aimed a a different type of combat, it's principles hold true up until this modern age. 

For a truly in-depth read about the Army of Northern Virginia's command during the war, I highly recommend reading Douglass Southall Freeman's three volume "Lee's Lieutenants".   In contrast, while I don't think as in depth, Bruce Catton's three volume attempt for the Army of the Potomac ... volume 1 "Mr. Lincoln's Army", volume 2 "The Army of the Potomac, Glory Road," and volume 3, "A stillness at Appomattox."   (If you want to know about the eastern theater of operations.)

For semi-quick reads, I've found I've gotten a lot out of:

The Majority Opinion of the Prize Cases

The Dissenting Opinion of the Prize Cases

Naval Militias (a PDF)

As far as books go, I was recently recommended this text by a fellow hobbyist historian:

Seizing Destiny: The Army of the Potomac's "Valley Forge" and the Civil War Winter that Saved the Union

• Like 1

On the fiction side like Killer Angels, Ralph Peters has written 4 books so far about the Civil War. The first is Cain at Gettysburg, followed by Hell or Richmond; Valley of the Shadow, The Damned of Petersburg and next year brings Judgement at Appomattox. Very good reads where real historical figures are woven into the story.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=wge%2fQ0A8&id=C3C5C677B40B11B1F80EF5CC656DDA92DFC153C2&q=cain+at+gettysburg+ralph+peters&simid=608015246944964173&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

• Like 1

One of the best books ever written about a single Civil War battle is, 'Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam' by Stephen W. Sears. His book titled, 'Gettysburg' is also a fantastic read. 

'Battle Cry of Freedom' by James M. McPherson is an older publication that offers a great (albeit very long) overview of the entire conflict beginning with the Mexican/American War. 

There is a recent book release that I have my eyes on. 'Lee and Grant: A Duel Biography' by Gene Smith.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

I recommend Lee and His men at Gettysburg by clifford dowdey. He wrote 3 books that go into great detail the leaders of both armies, the kind of men they were, and goes into great details of the battles and why the generals acted the way they did. much  of it is pieced together from letters and generals reports. The Gettysburg is my favorite, but he also wrote lees emergence: the seven days, and lees last campaign, lee vs grant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2016 at 8:44 PM, Koro said:

While not directly related, sun tzu"s art of War is the next you should read. 

It's not long or grand in any way but rather takes a simple approach to things and look at what a commander should and should not do. 

Even though it's aimed a a different type of combat, it's principles hold true up until this modern age. 

Funny you mention this because I bought it on Audible two weeks ago and listen to it while I play. It's short, perfect for a grand battle. 

I use the Amazon Echo. Alexa is great, it even plays The Bonnie Blue Flag if you ask it to, I'm amazed it was there for free on Amazon music. I also love Tchaikovsky or Mozart when I'm playing grand battles. 

Flashman and the Angel of the Lord isn't quite civil war but it's all about John Browns raid on Harper's ferry so it goes into detail about the run up to the ACW. 

Plus all of the Flashman books are hilarious, brilliant and incredibly well detailed. 

I recommend these two books about the 1st and 2nd Louisiana Brigades (Louisiana Tigers) which are arguably two of the most famous brigades of the war.

They are great reads with 1st hand accounts of the battles and show some of the major roles these two brigades played throughout many battles.

Lee's Tigers by Terry L. Jones

The Louisiana Tigers in the Gettysburg Campaign by Scott L. Mingus, Sr.

A good following book to the "Killer Angels" is "In the Hands of Providence: Joshua L. Chamberlain" by Trulock. Chamberlain was an unusual man dedicated to honor and duty. Six time wounded, governor, faced down a riot alone, and died of his war wound at 85.

"General James Longstreet", by Jeffry D. Wert. I think Longstreet was a better general than Lee but Lee was the better leader. Longstreet never got the accolades that he should have  because of his willingness to work with the federal government after the war.

I also recommend Shelby Foote's history if you have time to read 6000 pages. But I think he also created a youtube channel about the civil war that you might want investigate.

10 hours ago, drewww said:

I'm in the middle of "Landscape Turned Red" and I'm super loving it. Thanks for the recommendation @Captiva!

Yes, it is a fantastic read. I'm happy to hear you are enjoying the book. 

I also highly recommend 'Battle Cry of Freedom' by James M. McPherson. Don't be put off by it's length. The book is never boring or tedious. It is a fascination history of the U.S. beginning with a brief examination of the American-Mexican war - a war in which many Civil War Generals such as Lee, Grant, Longstreet, McClellan and others participated.

The book goes on to describe events leading up to and throughout the Civil War. This includes fascinating information on what life in America was like before the war including, the affects of technological advances in the workplace, transportation, communication and education on the populace. 

I recently read a quote from the author who describes both sides as believing that they were fighting for the same freedoms established by the American Revolution and the Constitution.

A 'must read' in my humble opinion.