Game-Labs Forum

The Sailing Simulation

Tacking seems easy to us testers, but it may not be that easy to folks used to Assasins Creed, idk, I'm just throwing that out there.

In an unrelated thought, I was told as youngster, that monohulls point closer to the wind then catamarans, but catamarans win because they are faster. I don't know if that is true, but the concept seems true, unless it is a very short race.

I think you meant to say "caught in irons". :). When you miss stays, you're "in irons" until you can encourage the bow to fall back off far enough to resume your original tack close hauled.

I get box-hauling and club-hauling confused all the time, also. I want the one where we sacrifice an anchor to make a hand brake turn.

There are more useful things to know. Neither boxhauling nor clubhauling are ordinary maneuvers by any stretch of the imagination. The latter is an act of desperation, and many regarded boxhauling as being not worth the risk of tearing your rudder off.

• Like 1

Yikes, I'm going to be terrible at maneuvering ships in this game I can see  :wacko:

If I have to control every mast and sail in a battle I'll be too occupied to do any gunning I'm afraid  :unsure:

Good thing the real ships had a man for each job, and not ONE who had to run around between steering the ship and aiming the guns  :P

• 2 months later...

Just a comment from a new bee.

I fell for "the great race for the big ship" psychology.  Just got the Brig.  Got my butt handed to me in my first PVP Light by a couple of Brigs and Snows, hell, even a Cutter jumped in to take a few whacks!  I kept getting "caught in irons" as I tried to maneuver.  Simply didn't know what I was doing. Went back to ramjb's training videos and will now go into PVE Lights for some practice IN JUST SAILING A SQUARE RIGGER!  Forget combat for a few days.  But you know, it's been fun!  Very educational, and highly immersive, which is what I like.  Take me away from cell phones, emails, traffic, world events and let me set sail on beautiful seas.

Makes you appreciate why it took someone an entire lifetime, their entire career to go from Midshipman to Captain. 

I've also posted a couple of other posts scattered around in this forum about my interest in the Devs continuing to pursue and refine advanced sailing models in Naval Action.  And you "experts" out there keep talking.  Very informative and instructional.  Someone could probably do a post graduate thesis from the knowledge in these forums.  Appreciate all the help from those more advanced players.  The stuff that's being discussed is become a lost art quickly.

Dean (poosd)