Game-Labs Forum

Help Please

I have recently bought this game and although I have managed to reach the rank of First Lieutenant in my only Basic Cutter. Having grasped the battle side of the game by entering battles and acquiring gold. I decided to purchase a ready built larger ship (a Brig) but when I came to sail it, I was told that I needed to equip the ship with guns. So I purchased enough cannons for the ship which went directly into my warehouse at Port Royal. I have no idea of how to put these guns on my new ship. I have tried dragging therm over from the warehouse onto the guns slot on my new ship, but they don't attach. they just flip back into my warehouse. I am having quite a lot of trouble understanding the workings of this game, as it all seems rather difficult to know how everything works. Other than tutorials about getting started with your first Basic Cutter, that have been shown in many videos, there are no tutorials explaining how one moves on from there. I love the game and the graphics and battle scenes are superb, but That's all I know what to play so far and just can't fathom out how to add larger ships to my fleet and be able to sail them. I just don't understand all this other stuff about trading and buying and selling stuff. Maybe its my age, I am 72 years old and just want to enjoy playing this game. If someone could be kind enough to explain step by step, how to move on with this game I would really appreciate it. I love games that involve ships and have been playing Silent Hunter, 3 and 5 for quite a while now but they are not as complicated as this game. I have always been fond of ships of this period and from what I have manage to do in this game so far is really enjoyable. I just want to move on to better things, with a little help from the community.

Thank You. 

• Like 1

You have to make sure you have the correct guns.

Under the gun on the equipment screen it will show something like

[6-8]/[8-9]

The first group is the long/medium gun size the ship can hold (from class 6 to 9)

The second is the cannonade gun size the ship can hold (from class 8 to class 9 in this case)

When the guns go back to your warehouse, you tried to load the wrong size.

When shopping for guns be sure to select the right class.

You can find gun sizes the Brig holds on the Naval Action Wiki

http://www.navalactionwiki.com/index.php?title=Brig

Someone please correct me if I mixed this up as I'm not in game

Edited by Anne Wildcat
  • Like 1

Old but gold, will give you a good idea of how things work (although some changes may have been made).

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/5912-ship-gun-class/#entry112469

This is also worth a look (although some changes may have been made).

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/5403-ship-crew-sizes-ow-ranks/#entry103455

My advice...

Get yourself a Snow, it is a good learning vessel and has fore/aft + main deck upper/lower cannons.

Get some practice by tracking and capturing AI trader vessels, trader brigs and snows will give you a fight, cutters & lynx vessels are unarmed.

Get out in the world and open an outpost in a Free Town, Great Corn is a good place to go hunting.

You will earn xp by visiting different ports which at the same time reveals what consumables are produced and consumed giving a better idea of trading and looting possibilities.

Open a shipyard in Port Royal and transport your loot and materials from broken down captured ships and crafted booty from the traders you have captured.

You can then start to build your own ships and earn crafting xp.

Build a pickle and add it to your fleet, once you have reached a rank that allows you to crew extra vessels.

Don't buy anything in Port Royal (ships), for example I recently sold a very solid Snow for 100.000 gold (a fair price in a robust market), yesterday I saw that a standard Snow can be purchased for as cheap as 25.000 or less (Bonnaca Free Town, if I am not mistaken).

A useful meta game Tool for getting an idea of direction and travel time from port to port...

http://burningsail.com/

Good luck and fair wind Mr Budd sire !

Edited by Captain Boneboys
  • Like 1

It indeed looks ver complicated at first sight, especialy the temporary user interface make it look very serious, but the longer you play it and fidle around with it the faster the puzzle pieces will fall together and it will all be very logical.

A thing i neglected in the beginning was crafting, i only wanted to sail and shoot broadsides, but as you progress trought the game you see that it can realy benefit you, and you'll end up with a bit of a handicap compared to other players.

If you don't like this anyway, I would still recommend building some production buildings, and use those resources to produce materials like iron fittings or carriages. It will give you money and it will slowly increase your crafting level.

Other then that i don't realy bother with trading etc.

A last thing might be to join a clan, now maybe you think that's nothing for me, but I can tell you it greatly increases the fun, you'll find the players are all very mature and from all age categories. (not all 16 year olds).

They will help you out with any questions you have, they'll provide you with stuff you need, and they will help you to rank up, etc... you will also be up to date on who is attacking who and where the action can be found.

They will probably require you to have TeamSpeak, but it is far easier to have group battles with voice coms.

Have fun, and safe sailing, i'll see you around KPR.

• Like 1

Hi everyone and thank you ALL, for your replies so far, it's nice to know that there are willing like mined guys out there, offering to help. But remember, I am not your average gamer, who understands some of these latest games, that due to computer technology are now appearing. I am a rather slow to learn old fart at 72 years of age, who just doesn't grasp things as quick as most of you who play this game. I find it all rather difficult to fathom out, what does what and how things come together in this game. I have never played these sort of games before, so everything is a bit double dutch at the moment (apologies to any of our Dutch friends amongst you) it's just a figure of English speech, when you don't understand what people are saying.  :lol:

I haven't dabbled in anything like buying a shipyard, just yet, because for one thing, I find it a little bit complicated to understand how to go about it and also too expensive to buy yet, because, I have only had the game for just over a week. My first concern id getting my new ship equipped with guns, so I can use that instead of my trusty little Cutter, that lasts a lifetime.

I understand about the different guns, types and calibre and that each ship can only carry certain guns. What I want to know is, do you have to buy each and every gun for the ship you want to equip or do you only have to buy one gun of the type you want, to be able to equip your ship with all its guns? Buying each and everyone would be very expensive. Then I need to buy repair kits to keep my new ship repaired, which all pumps up the cost of keeping a ship in top condition.

So far I have understood the battle side of the game, as far as the basics are concerned, but don't understand much else about playing the game. I just want to build up some more gold and increase my rank further to gain more crew for my larger ships eventually.

As far as joining a clan is concerned, I am not very conversant with multiplayer on line gaming and have always played games on my own. Also I am not very conversant with the different servers. I have joined the PvE server because that seems to be the best for beginners like me. What is the difference and can you have two accounts.one for PvE and another under one of the other servers?

I will read through some of the various links that have been suggested, to try and gain a bit more knowledge, but I need to just take one step at a time and my first concern is equipping my ship with its guns.

I hope to ask more questions later as it seems to be a long learning curve for an old one like me. But it's a great game so far and those ships are beautifully rendered, it's a pity you cant go for a look inside the decks and stern cabins.

Once again, thank you for your help and please keep any answers coming. I will master it eventually.

• Like 1

You only need to buy one "set" of guns for each deck you have, you cutter has one deck for example, so you only need to buy 1 cannon in the shop (not 12 guns). Bit unrealistic but easy. So as someone explained there are three types of guns, devided in two categories. Mediums, Longs being one and Carronades being the other. The First bracket says for example [6-9] this is for the medium and long category, the second bracket says for example [5-8] this is for the carronades.

Now in the shop tab you can select the tab cannons. Now you know from the numbers in the brackets your ship can fit medium or longs from class 6 to class 9 and for carronades classes 5 to class 8. Say I want the biggest long guns on my ship, i click on class 6 in the shop tab and buy 1 Long Cannon (don't know the poundage). The lower the number in the bracket, the higher the poundage and damage of the gun, so you're better off with a class 6 instead of a class 9.

The numbers will be different on every ship, the bigger the ship the bigger the cannons it can carry. So for now you'll be using 9 pounders or 6 pounders i guess or 12 to 18 pound carronades.

Now what is the difference between all these. Longs obviously have the biggest range and best penetration and accuracy (as they go faster) they require more crew and reload slowest. Mediums have less range and less penetration and accuracy but still a good amount, they reload faster and require a bit less crew. Now carronades are realy short range cannons, because they are lighter you can equip bigger calibers on your ship, they do the most damage, require the least amount of crew and reload the fastest. They are in no way accurate, and you almost always need to fire in an arch form, its like tossing rocks at a ship.

You then need to drag the cannons into the appropriate box, if they don't want to stay in it is probably the wrong type.

Longs is the easiest to aim, and is most used in general.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Good luck.

Edited by LanderD
  • Like 1

Old but gold, will give you a good idea of how things work (although some changes may have been made).

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/5912-ship-gun-class/#entry112469

This is also worth a look (although some changes may have been made).

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/5403-ship-crew-sizes-ow-ranks/#entry103455

My advice...

Get yourself a Snow, it is a good learning vessel and has fore/aft + main deck upper/lower cannons.

Get some practice by tracking and capturing AI trader vessels, trader brigs and snows will give you a fight, cutters & lynx vessels are unarmed.

Don't buy anything in Port Royal (ships), for example I recently sold a very solid Snow for 100.000 gold (a fair price in a robust market), yesterday I saw that a standard Snow can be purchased for as cheap as 25.000 or less (Bonnaca Free Town, if I am not mistaken).

Good luck and fair wind Mr Budd sire !

Hi Capt Boneboys, Thank you for the info on buying ships. If I visit any other port to buy a ship, such as (Bonnaca Free Town) how do I get the ship I buy, back to my home port after buying it. Can I just send it there, or do you have to sail it back yourself and if so, what happens to the ship I travelled there in.? Can you buy ships from any port on the map if you visit, National or Free Port?

There are two ways to do this and the first one is the easiest one, because you can only have one ship in a port where you have no outpost located (you can't leave an empty ship behind as there is no place for you to store it so to speak).

You'll have to sail up there with a free basic cutter, no upgrades on it or anything as you'll be selling it at Bonaca. Now when you get there, you'll need to sell you current free basic cutter. This should be easy but for some reason the game makes it difficult, you can't sell it with the canons on it or with stuff in your hold. So you'll have to disequip your cannonss (drag in the warehouse) or if they are basic medium 4 pdrs destroy them (right click on it and destroy). And if you want to save the stuff in your hold, you need to drag it from your hold to the warehouse. Now your ship is free and ready to sell, you obviously get no money for it but that's ok. Now you have one free spot for a ship, so you buy the ship you want. Now you need to buy the needed cannons or put the ones you took from the cutter on it in the meantime, put back in the hold whatever you took out, get some repair kits and you are good to go.

Second option doesn't need you to sell a ship, you'll have to open an outpost there, this way you can store 5 ships in there. So you can buy a ship leave your one ship there and sail away with the other, and swap em around whenever you like. But this is a costly procedure, and if you are not planning on using that area after your visit you shouldn't open an outpost there. If you do want to, click on outpost buy a permit and then build an outpost. Now you will notice you can teleport between the capital KPR and your outpost whenever you want.

I hope this answers you question.

Edited by LanderD
  • Like 1

Thank you LanderD. That makes things a lot clearer and I did look at the link threads about the different gun type/sizes as well as the thread on what ships carry what number of crew. Glad that I only need to buy one cannon of each size to equip my ship, otherwise it would be very expensive to say equip a three decker. lol.

Things are beginning to make sense now, but I have still a lot to learn and feel confident with before moving on to the next level. It makes so much more easy to understand when someone like yourself, explains in detail, how to go about doing something. One step at a time seems to be the way forward, as this game seems to have a long learning curve.

There are two ways to do this and the first one is the easiest one, because you can only have one ship in a port where you have no outpost located (you can't leave an empty ship behind as there is no place for you to store it so to speak).

You'll have to sail up there with a free basic cutter, no upgrades on it or anything as you'll be selling it at Bonaca. Now when you get there, you'll need to sell you current free basic cutter. This should be easy but for some reason the game makes it difficult, you can't sell it with the canons on it or with stuff in your hold. So you'll have to disequip your cannonss (drag in the warehouse) or if they are basic medium 4 pdrs destroy them (right click on it and destroy). And if you want to save the stuff in your hold, you need to drag it from your hold to the warehouse. Now your ship is free and ready to sell, you obviously get no money for it but that's ok. Now you have one free spot for a ship, so you buy the ship you want. Now you need to buy the needed cannons or put the ones you took from the cutter on it in the meantime, put back in the hold whatever you took out, get some repair kits and you are good to go.

Second option doesn't need you to sell a ship, you'll have to open an outpost there, this way you can store 5 ships in there. So you can buy a ship leave your one ship there and sail away with the other, and swap em around whenever you like. But this is a costly procedure, and if you are not planning on using that area after your visit you shouldn't open an outpost there. If you do want to, click on outpost buy a permit and then build an outpost. Now you will notice you can teleport between the capital KPR and your outpost whenever you want.

I hope this answers you question.

Thank you Lander. I understand what you say about sailing there in my empty Cutter then selling it (for no money) and buying a new ship. How do I add the cannons to the bought ship, does your own warehouse show up in the outpost, so I can drag the cannons onto the ship from my warehouse and what about the extra crew needed to sail it, am I able to provide these from my allocated crew entitlement from the rank I hold? Sorry to keep hounding you, but everything is a bit hard to follow at the moment. 

Edited by Billy Budd

As in real life the cannons you bought in KPR are rusting away in your warehouse in KPR, so you will have to buy yourself some cannons in Bonaca to use. So you'll need to check the class and buy the appropriate class of guns, and then drag it from your warehouse to your deck. Now if it should happen you don't have money left to buy cannons, you can always get the free basic 4 pounder medium cannons like the ones on your basic cutter to use. As long as your gun class says it can equip  "Class 9" cannons.

Now for your crew, your rank determines how much crew you have at your disposal. You are a first lieutenant you say, so you have 150 crew to use. Now to make things easy, you can always acces your crew anywhere on the map even during sailing. (unlike your cannons rusting away in KPR). However when you do missions and you get shot at, your crew gets killed. Now when you click the manage crew button in the main screen, it will tell you for example "120/150" crew, idealy this should say "150/150 crew". So when you want to sail for example a niagra witch is the biggest ship you can sail, you will need those 30 extra crew to get a fully crewed ship of 150. You could click hire crew, but this is expensive. The cheapest way is to go to shop, then consumables and then med kits. You can buy small, medium and large med kits. For the 30 crew, you'll need to buy 3 small med kits each restoring 10 crew. If you need more you should buy your more med kits or bigger med kits. But to be sure, as i'm not sure on the PvE server, compare the price between a med kit and hiring crew to see what is the cheapest.

Note that not all towns will supply med kits, in that case you'll have no choice to either hire crew or to sail to a port that does sall med kits.

Always make sure you don't go out sailing a ship with allot less crew then required, as sailing a 150 crew ship with only 40 crew will make you slow at turning, reloading and stopping leaks.

This won't affect your performance in the open world, but in battles you will notice this very well.

Edited by LanderD

You are a rock Lander, you have explained more about playing this game in the past few posts than I ever envisaged. Things are beginning to make sense a bit more now and I can move on a bit more. Yes I am familiar with the crew aspects so far but buying med kits makes sense especially if going into a battle situation, as well as repair kits. As you say, open world is just a matter of travelling from place to place or looking for other ships to challenge. Just something else while in open world. I have clicked on many ships to see what they are and quite a lot are much bigger than me, so I just ignore them. (don't want to be faced with a big frigate in my little cutter lol) What about ships carrying contraband goods, are these AI ships or do they belong to other players? Others are sailing in fleets and may be British (like me) or of another nation. I understand you can attack your own nations ships if they are carrying contraband goods, but what about trading ships of other nations, are these owned or are they just AI ships. 

You are a rock Lander, you have explained more about playing this game in the past few posts than I ever envisaged. Things are beginning to make sense a bit more now and I can move on a bit more. Yes I am familiar with the crew aspects so far but buying med kits makes sense especially if going into a battle situation, as well as repair kits. As you say, open world is just a matter of travelling from place to place or looking for other ships to challenge. Just something else while in open world. I have clicked on many ships to see what they are and quite a lot are much bigger than me, so I just ignore them. (don't want to be faced with a big frigate in my little cutter lol) What about ships carrying contraband goods, are these AI ships or do they belong to other players? Others are sailing in fleets and may be British (like me) or of another nation. I understand you can attack your own nations ships if they are carrying contraband goods, but what about trading ships of other nations, are these owned or are they just AI ships. 

Well if you click on a ship it will first tell you the nation it belongs to. Second it wil say for exampel "First Lieutenant Billy Budd sailing a Basic Cutter" if it give you a rank and a name you know its a player. If it just says for example "France - Traders Lynx" and no mention of any rank or name you know its AI. Both players and AI can carry contraband goods, and you can always attack them without turning pirate. However you should never attack players of your nation. You can however safely attack AI traders from your nation only if they are carrying contraband. This doesn't harm the economy in any way, they are there for you to sink or cap em. 

AI do not have names real players do

Personally I do not attack Allied/Friendly nations players even if they are carrying contraband

Currently Dutch,US and Sweden are Allied/friendly to British

I think he is in the PvE server, so I don't know how things work down there... if they need alliances.

Yes I am in the PvE server. I don't actually understand the different servers but as a beginner, was advised to use the PvE. Can you change servers at any time, without loosing what you have achieved. Can you have two separate accounts running on different servers, like choosing a different player name and/or different nation.or do you have to stick with one?

I'm honestly going to say I don't know. They changed the rules on that a couple of times and I'm not sure if you can play on two servers at the same time, I do know you can't take your stuff with you but I think you can keep your rank but not the gold.. Someone else will know. The PvE server is indeed good to try things out, PvP1 server has the biggest population and I thinks it is nice to sail around in a very lively environement. 

If you should come to PvP1 the british nation, I can give you some gold and ships to get you started here.

Ah well I'll stick with PvE for the time being, don't want to loose all my gold. Maybe once the game reaches Beta or even Final Release, things might be different. Well so far, thank you for your help. I am going to get into playing again, after my meal and get my new ship gunned up ready for action. I will be back later on sometime for some more information. 

• Like 1

It is my understanding that you may create an account on a different server and keep your rank & xp.

Gold/ships and reserves will be lost along with outposts and buildings but will remain on your original server to which you may revert at any time.

Here is a recent discussion on the subject...

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/13528-pvp-and-pve-player-removal-and-copy/

The risk involved when playing on a PvP server heightens the intensity of the game, knowing that sailing the open seas while transporting goods may result in risky and often fatal encounters.

I was attacked myself today while sailing through hostile territory by a pair of garlic chewing spanish scoundrels !

As a PvE/trader/crafter player sailing in a PvP environment I recommend that you make an account on a PvP server.

On occasion I have been near or close to intense battles organised or not, into which I have entered and participated in full knowledge of the risks involved to my ship, crew and person.

This is an experience that should not be denied or forsaken to wistful claims of independence and safe harbors.

There will no doubt be time and effort required to accumulate enough resources to establish yourself in the new world but I believe you will appreciate the wealth and opportunities available to one and all.

I bid you good day and safe crossings Captain.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well things have changed quite a lot since I first started playing this game and I am quite happy to plod along in the PvE server, with the AI, rather than join in with those of you on the PvP servers. So far, I have managed to reach the rank of Master & Commander and I am just over 700 XP points towards my next rank. 

It may seem strange to some of you, but I have achieved all I have gained so far, from just Trading in Sugar, Tobacco and Fishing. Here is were I stand at the moment. Presently, I own quite a number of ships from the humble Cutter, through to a 3rd Rate and a St Pavel, which are in dock at one of my six Ports that I have managed to buy. All this so far has been possible from just trading and fishing and quite a few Mission Order battles I have fought in, around the island of Jamaica, in just over three weeks.

I have just over 12 million Gold to my credit, as well as all the ships I have bought and equipped with guns, and I haven't even touched on Production Buildings for producing material goods, or Crafting. Crafting, seems a rather complicated and expensive way of moving forward in my opinion, which I don't yet fully understand, but I am quite happy to plod along with making my money and buying more ships, that I can use later on, when I gain higher ranks.

I have three trading ships that I use, on my travels around the Caribbean, a Traders Brig, a Traders Snow and an Indiaman, which I have fully equipped with guns, for taking on Contraband Traders. This ship also has the largest amount of hold slots, so you can get lots of produce on board. So far I have captured three Snows and a Mercury as well as their cargo, which as well as the usual cargo, resulted in a Copper Bottom Upgrade and two sealed bottles.  

One thing is bugging me though. I decided to Abandon one of my Ports, which cost me 5000 gold just to do so, so I could then purchase a different port to replace it, in another area of the map, this was so I could spread my Fleet out a bit further afield. But I am just left with an Empty Slot now and don't seem to be able to fill it by purchasing a different Port. It seems that if you Abandon any of your owned Ports, you cannot replace them with another different Port. Is this the case?  

Another query is this PRAY button. What is it for and what is it supposed to do? I also have Paint, but again, this doesn't seem to do anything when I select it. If anyone can throw some light on the above questions, including the Port purchasing query,  It would be much appreciated. So far I am really loving this game, even if I am not using it to its full potential, I am making lots of gold and improving my fleet of ships, for later in the game, when I can use my larger ships in battles, against ships of the same size. I just need to gain the extra crew and rank up, before I put on my cocked hat and play as an Admiral. :lol:  

I am sticking with PvE as I prefer to just play alone against the AI, I am not really into playing against other players for the time being, although I am not ruling this out completely.

Edited by Billy Budd
  • Like 3

Well things have changed quite a lot since I first started playing this game and I am quite happy to plod along in the PvE server, with the AI, rather than join in with those of you on the PvP servers. So far, I have managed to reach the rank of Master & Commander and I am just over 700 XP points towards my next rank. 

It may seem strange to some of you, but I have achieved all I have gained so far, from just Trading in Sugar, Tobacco and Fishing. Here is were I stand at the moment. Presently, I own quite a number of ships from the humble Cutter, through to a 3rd Rate and a St Pavel, which are in dock at one of my six Ports that I have managed to buy. All this so far has been possible from just trading and fishing and quite a few Mission Order battles I have fought in, around the island of Jamaica, in just over three weeks.

I have just over 12 million Gold to my credit, as well as all the ships I have bought and equipped with guns, and I haven't even touched on Production Buildings for producing material goods, or Crafting. Crafting, seems a rather complicated and expensive way of moving forward in my opinion, which I don't yet fully understand, but I am quite happy to plod along with making my money and buying more ships, that I can use later on, when I gain higher ranks.

I have three trading ships that I use, on my travels around the Caribbean, a Traders Brig, a Traders Snow and an Indiaman, which I have fully equipped with guns, for taking on Contraband Traders. This ship also has the largest amount of hold slots, so you can get lots of produce on board. So far I have captured three Snows and a Mercury as well as their cargo, which as well as the usual cargo, resulted in a Copper Bottom Upgrade and two sealed bottles.  

One thing is bugging me though. I decided to Abandon one of my Ports, which cost me 5000 gold just to do so, so I could then purchase a different port to replace it, in another area of the map, this was so I could spread my Fleet out a bit further afield. But I am just left with an Empty Slot now and don't seem to be able to fill it by purchasing a different Port. It seems that if you Abandon any of your owned Ports, you cannot replace them with another different Port. Is this the case?  

Another query is this PRAY button. What is it for and what is it supposed to do? I also have Paint, but again, this doesn't seem to do anything when I select it. If anyone can throw some light on the above questions, including the Port purchasing query,  It would be much appreciated. So far I am really loving this game, even if I am not using it to its full potential, I am making lots of gold and improving my fleet of ships, for later in the game, when I can use my larger ships in battles, against ships of the same size. I just need to gain the extra crew and rank up, before I put on my cocked hat and play as an Admiral. :lol:  

I am sticking with PvE as I prefer to just play alone against the AI, I am not really into playing against other players for the time being, although I am not ruling this out completely.

Congrats on your progress!  You're doing well.   :)

You can certainly put up another outpost in that available empty slot; you just have to sail to the desired port first to do so.  Cannot be done from another location.

Heh, even after several weeks, I don't think anyone still has any confirmed idea what Pray does.

• Like 1

Hi Brambborough, thank you for your answer to my Port query. Are you limited to how many ports you can buy? I had six Including the one I abandoned), so I am now down to five. I will follow your advice and visit another port and purchase the empty slot. On my way to being a Billionare, even if it is just a game.  :lol:

Hi, Billy, how are things on the Medway? 

You must have been  a very naughty boy for the Judge to have shipped you there!

Never mind, just don't pick up the soap in the shower, if there is one!

Good to see there are other oldsters playing this wonderful Sim. I turn 85 in November, so it's not just for the youngsters, is it?

I'm from Blighty, too, but shipped out in '63 to California, with no regrets. Miss the Pubs, though.

Keep your nose clean, mate, and they'll have you out in probably 5-10, if you're lucky!

See you on the Rolling Main, and keep your powder dry! 

• Like 5

Well I thought I was an old salt, but it seems that I am just a youngster compared to you Jack, nice to hear that old matelot's like us can still enjoy gaming and that it is not just for the youngsters amongst us.. I just hope that NA keep the

PvE server going, for those of us who wish to play at their own pace. Multiplayer gaming is too regimental for my liking and it can lead to animosity between other players. Too many people take games like this much too serious as far as I am concerned and it can get a bit in your face. But everyone to their own style of play I suppose and if it suits those that like multiplayer, then fair play to you all. Maybe if I was a lot younger, I would maybe participate with others, but I think I will just carry on enjoying the game, the way I prefer to play it. Surely there is nothing wrong in that.

Well I have just purchased Nelson's Victory and she is now docked fully gunned ready for action, once I gain the rank and experience, to take her out fully manned. I don't think I will bother purchasing a Santisima though, for one thing, I don't particularly like it, it is too slab sided for my liking and I am sure that the Victory can out do her, like she did at the real Battle of Trafalgar. There are two more ships on my wish list and that is the L'orient and the Agamemnon, as both of these are beautiful looking ships. I do like the St Pavel though, which is also a beautiful looking ship.

Well it's time to set sail once again aboard my Indiaman and do some more trading. I think I may sail to the America's this time, somewhere I haven't yet explored in this game. So watch out you Yanks, Billy Budd is about to enter your territory and relive you of a few more million gold, to increase my bank balance. Hoping to find a few more sealed bottles off your shores too. They are getting pretty scarce since the last patch and are now harder to find.

• Like 2