Game-Labs Forum

Frigate, Lightship and Lineship master confusion

I'm finding a lot of confusion around the officer upgrades of Frigate Master/Lightship Master and Lineship Master.  Frigate Master is a Class 2 upgrade (Bellona), Lightship Master is a Class 4 (Connie), and Lineship Master is a Class 1 upgrade (Santi, Vic)

I'm finding Many people thinking the Frigate upgrade is for the actual frigate class etc. and when I tell them to read what class of ship they have up graded their officer too they are completely baffled.

Anyone else have this issue?

I just thought the Dev's should maybe Make this a little clearer...

Lightship- a ship you craft with copper low grade notes

frigate master- a ship you craft with silver mid note

Lineship- a ship you craft with gold highgrade note

Bellona IS NOT A FRIGATE, it's a ship of the line.

How on earth can a Connie be a lightship?

Only ship i am not sure where it fits is Inger. She is a 4th rate same as connie. Connie is a frig but Inger is a ship of the line... So.. there's that.. 

Only ship i am not sure where it fits is Inger. She is a 4th rate same as connie. Connie is a frig but Inger is a ship of the line... So.. there's that.. 

4th rates were no longer ships of the line during the period this game is set at.

Edited by Quineloe

4th rates were no longer ships of the line during the period this game is set at.

Unless im mistaken it isnt necesarilly the rate that determines whether a ship is a ship of the line or not but rather its design and usage, if you look at steels ship plans for the dutch you will see some ships of the line which would be classed as 5th rates.

It's the ability to stand in a line of battle, and in the 19th century, a 64 or less was not considered strong enough to do that anymore.

That's why in Trafalgar the only 64s in the British fleet were parked way in the rear. Same for the only Spanish 64, it was the very last ship in the line.

The other 60 ships were all 74s and up.

Same with the game here, if you were to bring an Ingermanland to a capital port PB, you'd get blasted fast and hard.

It's the ability to stand in a line of battle, and in the 19th century, a 64 or less was not considered strong enough to do that anymore.

That's why in Trafalgar the only 64s in the British fleet were parked way in the rear. Same for the only Spanish 64, it was the very last ship in the line.

The other 60 ships were all 74s and up.

Same with the game here, if you were to bring an Ingermanland to a capital port PB, you'd get blasted fast and hard.

and in game here if you used a 74 you would also get blasted fast and hard. Care to explain then how some of the ships in steels ship plan thread are SoLs then? Also the time frame of the game is(going by the ship allowed) is 1670-1820. So...

This is something I've wondered about. I believe that the light ship perk says it applies to 3rd rates, or Class 3, or something like that - look at the details of the perk. But, the name suggests it would apply to any sub-frigate ship.

Which is it?

Like i said earlier in this thread

light ships = 7-6th rates, frigates = 5-4th rates and line ships - 3 - 1st rates.

• Like 1

and in game here if you used a 74 you would also get blasted fast and hard. Care to explain then how some of the ships in steels ship plan thread are SoLs then? Also the time frame of the game is(going by the ship allowed) is 1670-1820. So...

Ships allowed ranges back to 1670, but they're rated for what their use would have been in 1820. You're still gonna face early 19th century ships, which means your 1670 SOL is no longer a SOL once it has to face these ships. Bellona has a lot more armor than the Ingermanland.

I mean, the actual game mechanic of lineship mastery applying to 3rd rates and up supports my argument here. I don't see what "steels ship plan thread" has to do anything with it.

I'd suggest you ignore the class index number ( pretty much just a inner works indicator and most probably will be changed when the UI to worked, last in the list) and only pay attention to the ship Rates they relate to, which has been answered already.

Can u tell me why the officer perk says class 4 for light ship then?    And also look at the connie and tell me what class that is?

I cant for the first bit, but it should be what i said. Also connie is 4th rate

this really is one of those topics that the devs need to reword to help clarify what they really what the perks to cover so that way there is no shadow of a doubt on what they mean. (a listing of ship rates covered by each would be nice)

Lightship- a ship you craft with copper low grade notes

frigate master- a ship you craft with silver mid note

Lineship- a ship you craft with gold highgrade note

Bellona IS NOT A FRIGATE, it's a ship of the line.

How on earth can a Connie be a lightship?

The answer has been up for quite some time....  

And Hethwill is also correct:  Ship Class Index of devs ie 1,2,3 is NOT the same as the Admiralty ratings.

Crap.... I wish they would clarify that in the Perks.  I wish they would have given a ship classification not Dev rating.   I've been spreading mis information then and threw away my officer points...

DEV's Please stick to one way of classifying ships!

Edited by Harley Davidson

Just to throw in another interpretation:

When I first read the descriptions of these perks I thought "maybe it means lightshipmaster goes up to class 4 (7-6-5-4th.rates), frig (reading class 2)  3 and 2, and line only for 1st-rates."

Made hardly sense to me, though. A clarification would be welcomed

Just to throw in another interpretation:

When I first read the descriptions of these perks I thought "maybe it means lightshipmaster goes up to class 4 (7-6-5-4th.rates), frig (reading class 2)  3 and 2, and line only for 1st-rates."

Made hardly sense to me, though. A clarification would be welcomed

FFS, its been explained many times and it is stated on the wiki as well

7-6th rates = light ships

5-4th rates = frigates, 

3-1st rates = lineships

For the others coming in here, READ THE PREVIOUS REPLIES PLEASE SO WE DONT HAVE TO EXPLAIN THINGS MANY TIMES OVER.

• Like 2