Game-Labs Forum

Penetration Mechanics and why do my balls keep bouncing ?

Good Job!

By the way, i hate the leak mechanic atm. It is complete unhistorical to be able to sink, say a 100% Pavel, with to brodsides causing 27 leaks. I did so with my 3rd.

Or beeing killed in my frigate (gold pump) 100% armour, in one broadside by trinc.

In the First moment it seems to be funny but it is complete unhistorical ARCADE! You should be able to cause leaks, but not this shit, sink Enemys in 20sec!

Edited by Bartas11
  • Like 2

I agree. 20+ broadsides to dismast a ship, but you can sink it in 30 secs with a single broadside. Ridiculous. Leaks should be crippling, and take some time to sort out, but should not be instant death.

• Like 1

Yes in my brain I transposed them. I have a small place between my ears to play with :) and talking and walking :)

Have added a comment to the video.

Its one of those things...after its all done and uploaded...even though I review my vids before posting...then as soon as someone points it out...its like nooooooooooooooooooooo.

Anyway, the rest of it is useful and I describe what I 'mean' so....hopefully.

• Like 4

Regarding the relative effects of side thickness and penetration, which of the following two cases is more accurate?

1.  A binary outcome:  Either the ball penetrates (for full damage), or it does not (for zero damage).

2.  A scaled outcome:  The ball may penetrate, but the side thickness has an attenuating effect...the more wood the shot must go through, the less damage it does, having expended more kinetic energy getting through the wood.

I've wondered this ever since 9.7 was introduced.  I'm pretty sure the first description is closest to (or exactly) what's happening, but have occasionally seen ambiguous statements which imply at least some presence of an "attenuation" or "absorption" effect.

I am very much of the opinion it operates as 1, the new Ctrl-L log is very good now, showing penetration, angle and damage. I shall scoure it ate the end of my next battle to see if any evidence of 2 can be sniffed out.

You can also flip your front sail and counter rudder to make your ship drop it's belly as well as T.  this will drop your speed but make lower leaks shots near impossible.   Also vics and and other higher end ships like bellonas that have decent pen can fire down into the smaller ships and create leaks on opposite sides.

I tend to prefer to call the health pool - hull integrity integrity.  ie how much flex the ship can take before the cordage and oakem, tar and frame parts buckle.

If you are reallyreally good with timing and luck you can go to locked sector when side by side and actually shoot into the cannon holes which will cause more cannon damage and fire chance also.   Interestingly I think cannons have their own Armour thicknesses as sizes go up as you don't seem to break cannons on lower lbs guns.....i expect cannons are like modules and have their own structure/HP pools.  A santi having so many cannon holes seems to make it far more pennable than a vic too..  aim at cannon lines or belly .

Very good write up of the mechanics involved. 

• Like 1