Game-Labs Forum

Solution to Controversial Map Coordinates System

A lot of people seem to dislike the new coordinates system. Many of us thought it was more fun to sail out in to the blue armed with nothing but good seamanship, dead reckoning, and blind faith.

I can see this from both sides, though. Not everyone is a navigation nerd...

Solution: Make the coordinates that appear on the top right corner of the map an officer perk. That way, those that want it can have it, and those that don't can save a point; and thus feel rewarded.

• Like 3

Any good captain taught even the "squeakers" how to shoot the sun and calculate their position.

Its very reassuring when sailing far at sea for days at a time, avoiding the coast for fear of pirates, kraken, etc., to know just what port that is in the haze on the horizon without sailing into the dangerous shipping lanes to see the name of the port floating over the towers.

Leaving aside, of course, the 'realism' of having a port's name and affiliation magically floating over its towers like a billboard.

~ HK ~

A lot of people seem to dislike the new coordinates system. Many of us thought it was more fun to sail out in to the blue armed with nothing but good seamanship, dead reckoning, and blind faith.

I can see this from both sides, though. Not everyone is a navigation nerd...

Solution: Make the coordinates that appear on the top right corner of the map an officer perk. That way, those that want it can have it, and those that don't can save a point; and thus feel rewarded.

Totally this.

As more officers roll out make a perk some sort of Nav Aid. Either raw co-ords or a cooldown 'ping' that shows a circle on the map like when you are in port (mebee smaller) that means your 'about here',

• Like 1

I wouldn't make it an officer perk since basically anyone on a ship at that time could or should be able to locate themselves.

I would add instead a crafted item/items like navigational tools. The better crafted the better accuracy and they must be kept in ships hold to work and are lost with the ship so they acually add to the economy.

• Like 1

I like both suggestions.....An officer with the Navigator perk that could indicate your approximate position on the map, perhaps as a circle.  The higher the officer gets in rank the smaller the circle gets.

Crafted navigation aids would also help the navigator.  A junior officer with basic equipment would produce a fairly large circle on the map.  A much higher ranked officer with exceptional equipment could pinpoint your location pretty close.

• Like 2