Game-Labs Forum

Curing the Black Plague bug

ok a more specific answer.

Turn off pirates as a nation as soon as democracy hits.  after 1 month turn on piracy but announce it as 4ths down and no crafting over 4ths but they can cap 3rds and up but only crew them with 450 because thats a pirate cap.  crafting of mods is better for them thos...ad a rank or 2 higher mods for pirates in swordsmen etc

that way they are the underdog always but can compete.....ir hard mode

everyone is bitching about what mechanics should be and such but it boils down to make it underdog hardmode IMO

once they move everyone from black and give them a new version with issues....they can then spend time designing something better than a fake nation. At the moment they have a lot of noise and no real precision on any changes

Edited by Fastidius
  • Like 1

Sure. All fine with me as I already do it.

Back to the 3 pre-requisits ( I posted above )

What is the incentive on playing pirates that puts the faction in the same incentive level as a navy ? I only see pieces being taken off and no new clay being put on.

Again you are turning to Pirate mechanics instead of the sticking to the bleed into Pirate Nation. Regardless of Pirate mechanics there is a leak on the Nations ships and that needs to be fixed (as well).

• 2 weeks later...

It is very hard to come up with a balanced and enticing play style for the pirates without making their 'difference' cause a lopsided player base. I would like to see the following few things discussed.

The main philosophy behind my missive is that Pirates should be 'clan based' and mercenary (guns for hire)

There should be several uncapturable Pirate Capitals dotted around the map.

1) Pirates cannot CAPTURE ports permanently. They can raid a port. They get additional money and loot for doing so, after X days it returns to its owner with some crazy market setup (representing a smashed port) so high demand for X no demand for Y. Pirates can send their loot to their CLAN warehouse.

1a) Pirates can capture ONE port for their Clan (per 50 players in their clan)

1b) Pirates can capture any port where it is the only port on that island

2) Pirate Clans can have a state of diplomacy with other Pirate Clans.(eg War/Ally/Neutral). Ally confers the ability to dock in Clan ports.

2a) Breach of the diplmacy settings is considered Green on Green

3) A Pirate Clan can be 'hired' (cash on delivery) to capture a Port on BEHALF of another nation. They are 'contracted' to capture 3 ports or whatever for Spain. Doing this can be rewarded with either money or a letter of amnesty allowing them to join their sponsoring nation (as a way to switch back)

3a) Pirates can individually be 'hired' to sink 'x' ships of an opposing nation for a total BR target of  Y. This must be players and would allow for similar awards as stated above. These contracts would be instigated at freeports.

4) Pirates can only sail upto a 4th rate

5) Pirates can build mods that change ship dynamics (with a + / -) (so should nations but a different type of mods).

6) Pirates cannot craft new ships.

7) Pirates must always talk like PiratePete otherwise they will instantly become French.

the ability of combat between them..

You mean the completely broken mechanic? Where you can't even attack a pirate that has been attacking your traders as a group because it only lets the tagger in and anyone joining the battle(even if they are grouped with the attacker) is automatically placed on the defenders team? That POS mechanic?

It is very hard to come up with a balanced and enticing play style for the pirates without making their 'difference' cause a lopsided player base. I would like to see the following few things discussed.

The main philosophy behind my missive is that Pirates should be 'clan based' and mercenary (guns for hire)

There should be several uncapturable Pirate Capitals dotted around the map.

1) Pirates cannot CAPTURE ports permanently. They can raid a port. They get additional money and loot for doing so, after X days it returns to its owner with some crazy market setup (representing a smashed port) so high demand for X no demand for Y. Pirates can send their loot to their CLAN warehouse.

1a) Pirates can capture ONE port for their Clan (per 50 players in their clan)

1b) Pirates can capture any port where it is the only port on that island

2) Pirate Clans can have a state of diplomacy with other Pirate Clans.(eg War/Ally/Neutral). Ally confers the ability to dock in Clan ports.

2a) Breach of the diplmacy settings is considered Green on Green

3) A Pirate Clan can be 'hired' (cash on delivery) to capture a Port on BEHALF of another nation. They are 'contracted' to capture 3 ports or whatever for Spain. Doing this can be rewarded with either money or a letter of amnesty allowing them to join their sponsoring nation (as a way to switch back)

3a) Pirates can individually be 'hired' to sink 'x' ships of an opposing nation for a total BR target of  Y. This must be players and would allow for similar awards as stated above. These contracts would be instigated at freeports.

4) Pirates can only sail upto a 4th rate

5) Pirates can build mods that change ship dynamics (with a + / -) (so should nations but a different type of mods).

6) Pirates cannot craft new ships.

7) Pirates must always talk like PiratePete otherwise they will instantly become French.

The best part about your mail is that you leave out the one issue this topic is about:

1. Since you can chance to Pirate (easily) in game, there must be an in-game mechanic to change to any nation.

It proves once again that people do not see the Black Plague bug.

All the other things you mentioned are already on other topics.

Edited by Skully

I agree that it is not difficult to make the switch (having just done so myself on pvp1) - and that other nations should also allow for that mechanism.  I also agree with the concept that there should be a cost associated (other than just relocating certain assets) in order facilitate such transition (which I understand other some players have otherwise done through convoluted exchanges in neutral ports when migrating flags as a team).  Letters of Marque would be a great way of taxing and creating this mechanic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Make switching to pirate more costly..lose everything except your rank and the ship your in :)

Off topic, we are talking about a mechanism that allows going from Pirate to Nation.

• 4 weeks later...

Current discussions that are relevant to the Black Plague bug:

We are removing pirates attacking pirates or nations attacking nations in the next patch

We know some players will be upset - but this is going to be a good change going forward. Especially taking into account potential outlaws introduction in the future. Alliances and one nation status (even for pirates) have to be enforced. 

Nations and pirates will still be able to attack smugglers freely

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15591-1-off-pirate-reroll/

I'm not saying we should remove Pirate Nation. But rather tie default Rules of Engagements on it, with the option to override at Clan level. It should also not be an option for Pirates to file National edicts (/Alliances).

So by default the Pirate Nation is hostile to every other Nation and the inter-Clan RoE should also be hostile.

I do agree that in Clan battles should be disabled (or zero reward). The same for in Nation battles.

This should already solve a big part of the free-for-all battle as it then becomes a Nation-Nation, Clan-Nation or Clan-Clan battle.

We can then make the Pirate Nation fully invisible and have the Pirate hard core mode right there.

But if Clan edicts would be too complex or take too much time, then I rather see the Pirate Nation still be a full Nation in the upcoming patch with the associated access to the Alliances mechanic. Until such time that we get to whatever true Pirate mechanic comes into play.

So they keep their blueprints? That makes them OP? I have spare blueprints on me for at least 2 characters for when ever needed. Am I OP?

The fact that you don't lose any BPs makes the switch itself OP.

The fact that you don't lose any BPs makes the switch itself OP.

But with gifted perk now it's a lot easier to learn blueprints so if you switch nations and have a friend to move stuff it's not that big an issue? Even if they made pirates lose blueprints when moving people would still move. Keeping your blueprints does not make a person OP. Having skills others and perks others do not that makes things OP.

But with gifted perk now it's a lot easier to learn blueprints so if you switch nations and have a friend to move stuff it's not that big an issue? Even if they made pirates lose blueprints when moving people would still move. Keeping your blueprints does not make a person OP. Having skills others and perks others do not that makes things OP.

The switching right now is simply an imbalance that makes no sense. The cost of switching to Pirate is low, switching to Nation requires out of game loops plus you lose BPs.

1. Do we keep Pirates as a "punishment" or are we going for another form of outlaws?

2. Are we equalizing cost by always losing BPs?

3. Are we equalizing cost by always keeping BPs?

For 2 / 3 I like the Shipyard suggestion.

(As a side note you could end up in another Nation with your BPs if it gets fully conquered.)

Just an idea:

If you are clanless, you can be invited into any Clan regardless of Nation. A lot of us have seen D4mi4n jump Nations and Clans alike and cursed him for it. So consequences are already in place. Even further if a Clan can be called to account for their actions in Parliament.

For a Clan it can only be achieved by being allied to the enough Clans to have a majority of voting power within the accepting Nation. The actual edict will then be a formality filed by any diplomat. Note that having two Nations allied would mean the edicts could be filed freely, but still won't result in automatic acceptance.

The level of butthurt here is astounding... why don't you just rally everyone against the pirates? Oh wait... thats right... the entire server hates the US. Do you think its going to be any different (or less embarassing) when they all go Spain and dominate you from there? Better start thinking of your "spain op nerf plox" arguments now.

As for all the "make the pirates fight in snows" arguments... is the US also getting limited to connies? Only the brits and spanish get SOLs? Spain, denmark and VP are limited to their realistic Caribbean presence aka maybe (big maybe) yachts?

Edited by Robbert Dole
  • Like 1

It's an unwarranted imbalance. Whether a BP is hard or easy to obtain isn't the issue.

its not really an imbalance when it boils down to being a minor inconvenience, with the added perks and planning you can recoup your BPs in the same day you switch nats its not hard..just tedious. I dont really care either way though.