Game-Labs Forum

Ships Registry and Customization

Step 1: Re-Organize Ship Lists

Separate rates, types, and classes. There are types, such as merchant, frigates, ships of the line, etc. A type might be represented across multiple ratings, for example, there are smaller frigates and larger frigates. Classes are ships of a given type of a given of a given build/design, for example, a Surprise-class frigate.

Separate merchants from warships.

Step 2: Remove names from ships

When a user purchases or crafts a ship, they are not constructing that ship they are constructing a certain classed ship of a given type. For example, a Constitution-class frigate, or a Niagra-class brig.

Step 3: Create a Ships Registry

When a crafter creates a ship, they should be able to name the ship. This name will NOT appear on the transom (no name should appear on the transom). But, the name will appear when the ship is click upon.

Next, when a player sells a ship, there should be a small fee to update the registry. A crafter should be able to see where every ship they have created has ended up.

When a player wants to rename their ship, it should cost. Perhaps a note, maybe a low grade note for smaller ships, mids for the mid-range ships, and high for the upper tier.

When a player clicks on the ship it should display, “Captain Bligh, HMS Super Surprise, a Surprise-class Frigate, Britain built by Blowhard Bill”

Step 4: Post-Build Options

Upgrades shouldn’t be the only way to alter a ship. Allow owners to alter ship capabilities post-build. Each alteration should come at a cost, such as crew space, trim, hold space, speed, strength, and durability.

If a user wants to add chasers, it might affect the strength of the transom and change trim. If the user wants to add heavier guns, it will result in the loss of total guns, strength, and maybe a full durability. If a ship is operated en flute, without guns, crew requirements should be lessened, and hold space should be increased.

Step 5: Introduce Specific National Designs

Mostly cosmetic, but Spanish ships were visually different from French or English ships. Smaller ships from the Mediterranean are different than those in the Caribbean. Add some new designs.

• Like 7

I like your ideas. Especially the one about a ship showing who built it, except something would have to be done about a frigate turning into 5 1-dura frigates if the owner got capped 4 times. But these changes also sound like a lot of work for minimal actual improvement to the game. I wouldn't prioritise this a lot.

Nice thoughts!

When a crafter creates a ship, they should be able to name the ship. This name will NOT appear on the transom (no name should appear on the transom). But, the name will appear when the ship is click upon.

The only tweak is that ship names like "Angry Bird 13" or "Dillywilly" will appear which isn't very nice, but we have strange player names too so this does not really matter, I guess. Renaming the ship should be obligatory and probably for free.

Next, when a player sells a ship, there should be a small fee to update the registry. A crafter should be able to see where every ship they have created has ended up.

I would really like to see a kind of ship's graveyard where you can look up all the ships ever crafted and you'll see the complete life cycle:

"HMS Shannon" - Leda class Frigate:

June 13th: constructed in Kingston

June 15th: joined the battle at St. Ann against a French Fleet

June 16th: captured French Frigate "Hermione"

June 19th: sold to Rear Admiral Snyder

June 20th: renamed in "HMS Lydia"

June 25th: captured by Pirates near Cayman Brac

June 30th: lost last Dura in Port Battle at Georgetown

Edited by mikawa
  • Like 6

That log would kept bound to the game for hours then i need to rethink al my ships and their history of some would be amazing. I would not surprise me that some ships just went from country to country and player to player.

And the best thing is that you already have the data so it is only a question of how implent and how the log is going to be

Edited by pietjenoob
  • Like 1

But a simple other question will the name of the be with HMS for the british and USS/USN for american in front of their name so for example i name my ship the Raven and i get HMS Raven and if captured she will be USS Raven till she is in port?

I like your ideas. Especially the one about a ship showing who built it, except something would have to be done about a frigate turning into 5 1-dura frigates if the owner got capped 4 times. But these changes also sound like a lot of work for minimal actual improvement to the game. I wouldn't prioritise this a lot.

Easy.. 1 Dur for all ships... 

For teh OP.. I like all but the Changing ships after they are built with actual changes not upgrades.. that would be a coding night mare after the fact I think... Unless they redo the entire ship/damage model in teh future

• 2 months later...

Step 1: Re-Organize Ship Lists

Separate rates, types, and classes. There are types, such as merchant, frigates, ships of the line, etc. A type might be represented across multiple ratings, for example, there are smaller frigates and larger frigates. Classes are ships of a given type of a given of a given build/design, for example, a Surprise-class frigate.

Separate merchants from warships.

Step 2: Remove names from ships

When a user purchases or crafts a ship, they are not constructing that ship they are constructing a certain classed ship of a given type. For example, a Constitution-class frigate, or a Niagra-class brig.

Step 3: Create a Ships Registry

When a player wants to rename their ship, it should cost. Perhaps a note, maybe a low grade note for smaller ships, mids for the mid-range ships, and high for the upper tier.

When a player clicks on the ship it should display, “Captain Bligh, HMS Super Surprise, a Surprise-class Frigate, Britain built by Blowhard Bill”

Step 4: Post-Build Options

Upgrades shouldn’t be the only way to alter a ship. Allow owners to alter ship capabilities post-build. Each alteration should come at a cost, such as crew space, trim, hold space, speed, strength, and durability.

If a user wants to add chasers, it might affect the strength of the transom and change trim. If the user wants to add heavier guns, it will result in the loss of total guns, strength, and maybe a full durability. If a ship is operated en flute, without guns, crew requirements should be lessened, and hold space should be increased.

Step 5: Introduce Specific National Designs

Mostly cosmetic, but Spanish ships were visually different from French or English ships. Smaller ships from the Mediterranean are different than those in the Caribbean. Add some new designs.

I like all of this except i think the name should be randomized, and you should only be able to re-name a ship if it changes national owner.

I know private citizens can name their own ships IRL, but to my knowledge ship captains were not able to re-name the property of their nations. Perhaps pirates could have the option with limits on people naming ships crude or ridiculous names I.E "Pussy Destroyer" because I guarantee someone would-that someone being me  :D 

I think we should have to ability to personalize ship but within reasonable restraints that would exist within the navy.

• Like 1