Game-Labs Forum

More informations about OW ships

Simply as it is: i would like to see more informations about ships in the OW, like damage status, armament, perhaps national flag on them. This could be implemented to use the same system like in battle instances now that we have spyglasses in OW.

Personally, i like the lack of info, actually i think we have too much info, IMHO i would love to see less info, so instead of the specific ship you only see the rate of the ship for example.(but of course you can still figure it out by looking at the ship)

Beside the National flags on ships that really needs to be added i would also like to see less informations, what OlavDeng propose is something interesting, it might be tricky to recognize a Trincomalee from an Essex or Connie under some angles of approach forcing you to take a risk and get a bit closer to see what you have in front of view, the spyglass is really powerful tho, maybe a bit too much in OW right now and should maybe be tweaked a bit.

Would like to see less infos in battle sessions too, seeing the exact number of crew a ship have is exaggerated, you should discover if a ship is overloaded with crew only when boarding it, same for the crews loss during a battle or canons damaged or leaks inflicted, this should maybe be visible only by the guys on your side, never from the enemies.

Right now we have too much infos and while it's for helping in the development of the game when it comes to canons or crew loss or even leak i guess it's fine, but i really hope all this will vanish once the game will be in a more advanced state, you should not know how many crew a ship have, not know how many crew you killed in a broadside, not know how much canons you destroyed after a broadside or if a ship armor is totally gone or not on a side, this particular one will need more visuals details added on the ships, showing clearly the destruction inflicted.

Like i said for now the game is in development and all this is helping noticing some odd things, but i really hope all this will disappear at some point.

or perhaps :

remove the ship type and put a national flag on it 

and  if you cant recognize the ship types (yet)  you can put a upgrade on your ship called > "ship recognition book " whats become visible in the ow telescope

Edited by Thonys

You're basically asking to have more infos but in a rendere,visual form; wich i agree on this, but might be more difficult at the moment than just having things on a didplay. (Like having actual crew, cannons, damage visible)

I would also like less information about ships and the ability to hide your identity. In friendly waters you can show your name and rank to make the recognition and coordination between ships and groups easier in hostile waters on the other hand, you just display your ship class/name, maybe in the future a flag (correct or false). The ship must still be recognizable as a player ship, but it shouldn't be easy to see if it is friend or foe. This could be connected with an officer trait, which allows recognition over longer distances

Beside the National flags on ships that really needs to be added...

Agreed, national flags in OW would be a good addition.

But I wouldn't remove some informations like Type of Vessel or Nationality because in very populated waters we would spend our time the eye in the spyglass, not sure it would be good for gameplay: In OW time is very compressed and it can't simulate what would happen IRL where we have plenty of time to see vessels approaching and determine their type and nation. Remember it's a game, not a pure simulation, we have to take care of gameplay.

It's my humble opinion, pretty sure it's not shared by the majority, but nevermind.

I mean that the details of ships should not be visible in OW -- Take this as an act of risk and surprise. You should never know too much. But regarding the OW spyglass: does it have any benefit? I initially thought it might enable the player to see more far than without, but actually it seems to have the same visibility range ... quite strange ...

Main spyglass benefit for me is to observ others vessels heading and see where they're going.

IRL a spyglass make you see things bigger, but you won't see thru the distant fog.

Edited by Forbin

• 5 months later...

more? I want less info.. Flag they claim to be and ship type.. nothin else

This would be good, and I would be in favor of it, but since time is sped up on the open world you have less time to make a decision.

If the spyglass is left the way it is, along with the open world ship info (Nationality, Player name, ship type, fleet ships, and fleet strength) that currently requires you to click on the ship, I recommend at least making it so the spyglass has to hover over the ship rather than having to click the ship, or allow use of both. Sometimes it can get really annoying having to click each ship when there are seven of them coming from different directions.

I also like the ideas presented by poosd here: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/16553-viewsa-simple-change-for-big-imersion-value/?hl=spyglass

such as, the view being higher for the spyglass (at the top of the mast), taller masts mean further views.

Sincerely,

Edited by John Page