Game-Labs Forum

Rum

Barbancourt

A fun thing about these ship games is the appearance of rum....because I like good rums and love quality rum cocktails, and often sip them while playing.   

My favorite rums are Pampero Aniversario from Venezuela (dark) and 8 year old Barbancourt from Haiti (light), and it tickles me that I can visit those areas in Naval Action.  I think I'll soon pay a visit to one of the free ports in Haiti to see if they stock any Barbancourt in-game.  Much easier than finding a bottle in my area.  ;)

Right now I'm drinking Barbancourt with some lime peel and agave nectar. 

If I can find a quality lime in town I'll make a Mai Tai - I mix quality 8yo Barbancourt with basic Coruba or Myers's dark, or if I'm feeling spendy the dark rum will be Zaya.  Plus Caffo Solara orange liquor, standing in for the locally elusive orange curacao.  (lime is the ONLY juice in a traditional Mai Tai)  I've attempted a few other rum cocktails, but none of them satisfy my craving for a traditional Mai Tai.

Edited by rownd
  • Like 1

The "Mount Gay Eclipse" is really good for it's price. The colour is golden but it is not coloured with maltose like other darker rum as far as I know.

Yeah, color in rum is manipulated for aesthetic appeal.  There isn't a code controlling rum, and many styles to enjoy.  Flavorings are also common.  (I'm not talking about obviously flavored rums like "spiced" or bizarre fruit flavored rums, but flavorings added to basic rums that aren't marketed as flavored)  For instance, they dump a ton of some kind of vanilla flavor in Zaya.  I like Zaya in a Mai Tai, but it's kind of expensive as rums go.  (which means only half the price of cognac, scotch or tequila/mezcal) 

Edited by rownd

While I sail tonight I'm drinking one of these - 2oz White Grapefruit, 3oz Rhum Barbancourt, 1/2oz agave nectar, 1/2oz Kahlua, 1/2oz Cinnamon syrup and some lime peel:

Please let us know when you're on your second or third one, so we know when to attack your ship.  Judgment is the first to go, you know!   ;)

• Like 1

Sadly it's very expensive here in Scotland :(

there is nothing wrong with the glorious union flag but isn't navy bottled in Scotland? I do find it funny that Malbu is distilled in Scotland.

I heard pussers is the best rum by general agreement but never see it in shops, I have a bottle of angostura that I should probably try, I must have got it about a year ago

there is nothing wrong with the glorious union flag but isn't navy bottled in Scotland? I do find it funny that Malbu is distilled in Scotland.

I heard pussers is the best rum by general agreement but never see it in shops, I have a bottle of angostura that I should probably try, I must have got it about a year ago

Most of the normal priced rums are bottled in the UK but distilled in the Caribbean.  I think the higher priced rums like Havana Club are imported. 

They discount them regularly in the supermarket. I'll get through them all :D

Yeah, most things are bottled in or near the country of consumption but I just find it funny that they make malibu in scotland. I keep an eye out for a good discount on Kraken, id like to try it but the only grocery shop in town is waitrose so it can be a little pricey.

Yeah, most things are bottled in or near the country of consumption but I just find it funny that they make malibu in scotland. I keep an eye out for a good discount on Kraken, id like to try it but the only grocery shop in town is waitrose so it can be a little pricey.

Aye got me eye on that one too, but agree, cost to much gold!

To me Pussers is very similar to Appleton in flavor.  Many people like them, but the flavor doesn't work for me.  Pussers is on the cheap side - mostly used for mixing, I think.  Grog, swizzles, punches and such. 

Edited by rownd

To me Pussers is very similar to Appleton in flavor.  Many people like those, but they don't work for me.  Pussers is on the cheap side - mostly used for mixing, I think.  Grog, swizzles, punches and such. 

The bottles I have seen are all about £35+, seems expensive to me. I have never come across Appleton either so I have nothing to go by.

The basic 750ml Pussers is a $30 bottle in Hawaii, or $27 in Colorado, but they also seem to have overproof and aged rums I haven't encountered that would be more expensive. 

Appleton is one of the largest and most well known rum producers (lots of marketing), and have several styles/price points. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, Lasses, Pirates, when it comes to rum, at this particular time in my life (a poor, broke college students) only one type of rum suites me: the cheapest. Alas, I must agree that Captain Morgan is a fine. However other, less seasoned rums I find better for mixing and for relaxing. Captain to me is the "Party Rum." Other rums such as Don Q and a local fair 'Old New Orleans" are better for those relaxing days when ye just want to sit back, sip, and have a calm cigar or pipe.

If'n ye fancy yerself a rum enthusiast, then I highly recommend And a Bottle of Rum by Wayne Curtis. He tells the story of America's history as well as some Caribbean history through the glass of a rum bottle. 

In concluding his book, he offers some suggestions for his favorite rums, prefacing with "I will not be listing any spiced rums here, for I assume you want to drink rum, not candied liquor."

Gents, Lasses, Pirates, when it comes to rum, at this particular time in my life (a poor, broke college students) only one type of rum suites me: the cheapest.

Fortunately quality rum is much cheaper than some other quality spirits (tequila, scotch, etc).  My favorite rums are just $30, whereas my favorite tequila and mezcal are about $70-80.