Game-Labs Forum

Ok sell me ( and others) on PVP 2

Here's a tl;dr list of pros for PVP2:

- economy isn't so inflated, so you can level your crafting without having to farm nearly as much gold

- lag is virtually non-existent. Even if your 'ping' is higher, the load-based lag that PVP1 suffers from isnt a thing

- the nations are still pretty well balanced. Some are fairly well under-served, but even the smaller ones seem to play impact niche roles (the sweeds who harass charleston every day). it hasnt suffered from the everyone-eventually-goes-pirate phenomena that PVP1 has seen

- the community seems a LOT less jaded. This is subjective, but at least from my nation's PoV (I play american), it's a lost less demoralized and up-beat on pvp2

I tried PVP1 after hearing that they might get merged and we all better start getting assets on PVP1 sooner rather than later. But I found the community and the state of the game in PVP1 to be much less attractive than on PVP2.

But here's the rub: when you log in, your asked to pick between the 'EU' and 'USA' servers. So unsurprising, the EU server has a lot of players from European nations IRL who also choose European nations in the game. And conversely, the US server has a lot of US players who choose to play as America. So on EU, America is small and weak. On US, America is large and strong. The PVP2 -> PVP1 migration isn't all about America, but truth be told its mostly US players migrating a server that's more heavily populated by Euro players. As most US players play Americans, they go from a server where they are one of the strongest nations on PVP2 to one of the weakest on PVP2. That kinda sucks. I won't move until there's a wipe to level the playing field. And even then, given the CHOICE, i'd still stay on pvp2

Freedom my friends, that's what PvP2 is all about right now.  Free to fight, free to craft, free to roam,  free to farm AI.  Its a true sandbox right now and I'm loving it.  Our clan is growing, we're having a bunch of fun, and we'll be staying unless something major changes.  The PvP is plentiful from big deep battles to small skirmishes when you go to the right places and if you need to grind AI, there's plenty of that when you want it.

PvP2 is dead, long live PvP2!

Freedom my friends, that's what PvP2 is all about right now. Free to fight, free to craft, free to roam, free to farm AI. Its a true sandbox right now and I'm loving it. Our clan is growing, we're having a bunch of fun, and we'll be staying unless something major changes. The PvP is plentiful from big deep battles to small skirmishes when you go to the right places and if you need to grind AI, there's plenty of that when you want it.

PvP2 is dead, long live PvP2!

Lets get pvp2 renamed to dedicated players server ! It could be all us that just loke to have fun...ya know the bad kids.

I love that you 3 guys keep talking to each other about the benefits ov PVP 2 versus PVP 1. 

I made the move over a week ago.  I found a clan that was recruiting and joined it.  I am currently a Commodore and I was given a Victory on day 1.  I have rebuilt my fortune here on PVP 1 without any problems and I enjoy playing with Euro Players.  (ex Eve Player)

So here is what is what.  America on PVP 1 is not small and weak.  They are a lower pop nation but if the players from 2 came to 1 it would balance the server pop.   The open world PVP exists on PVP 1 especially on EU prime time.  There is people everywhere!

We have had a blast so far on PVP 1 and look forward to continuing the fun.

I play on both servers. Frankly pvp fights on PVP2 are not fun. It always one these:

1. Me getting ganked by overwhelming force

2. My side having overwhelming force and chasing forever

3. Even BR but due to ship types, we spend an hour shooting at masts

I hate chasing more than anything and even if I can catch a ship, I will often break off. It's not worth me spending 20 minutes chasing a ship just to gangbang it with overwhelming odds when we catch up. I know I'm in the minority here but it's just not fun to me.

What's worse is the small 3-7 vs 3-7 battles I've been seeing. Ships sitting off at long range shooting at sails. Due to ship types that are ideal for a low pop server (trincos, renos, etc.) this is the best way to fight, but it's not very fun. I have surrendered my full hp ship after an hour of getting my sails shot at. It's just not fun and I'd rather lose a durability than hour+ of my time. I only play for an hour or two at a time anyways so spending my entire session shooting at sails and getting sails shot at is not fun. Call me a quitter all you want, I'd rather do something else with my time.

In 2 weeks of pvp almost every day I have yet to come within 500m of an enemy ship unless the battle has already been decided.

Recently I've just been ignoring reports of enemy ships in my vicinity and just grinding to get my craft level up. I'm hoping for a merge so I can keep resources. Ships can be replaced, but millions worth of resources is hard to replenish on pvp1.

Edited by Lennyo

Yah we jumped to pv1 from pv2 to try it out. We wanted to pick an underdog nation so we went with swedes. While all the guys from sweden have been very generous they pretty much got their southern ports rolled this last weekend. It's very hard to get any type of production going with the lack of ports so I've just been capping connie's and 3rds but it doesn't help much when PB's are filled with Vic's, santi's, Pav's, and a few bellona's. 3rd's are about obsolete. Not to mention internal strife within the nation with some clans just attacking whomever causing us to lose more ports.

I'm pretty much at a "whatever" attitude and eagerly await a port wipe while I keep crafting on pv2.

I'm sorry that happened to you. You came at a bad time for SV, I'm D-N myself and we were in that exact situation from getting rolled by FR and SV a month ago. So while I felt some empathy, I also had that other human reaction of, 'Well they did it to us, so turn about is fair play.' You'll notice we've scrupulously stuck to the Lesser Antillies Agreement, leaving Fajardo alone and not even 'antagonizing' FR taking the 'free ports' of Spanish/Road Town. If I'm correct, a large portion of SV went FR (BORK?).

We're more then willing to renegotiate the agreement, or a new agreement between all parties since it's really FR's law of the area, I can't speak for them. No one wants to see a nation become absolutely unplayable. No one has contacted us though.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/12370-pvp2-the-francesverigedanmark-norge-lesser-antilles-declaration/

This ties into the topic of, we're all pretty relaxed about the game and try to make it playable for everyone, even the 'non/low pop nations.' I'd rather everyone have fun. Heck, someone in the nation's will either loan or give you a ship for dirt cheap. I don't charge the '50g/lh' that seems to be standard on PVP1, my costs run around 10-15 and even sometimes dips to 5. Then the scarcity of resources on PVP1 also causes relative inflation. Right now PvP2 is pretty easy to get off the ground in.

Edited by LodeSterre

So far after 90 min last night on PVP2 was ghost town. No chat with anyone, no player ships, only 3 AI ( friendly of course) and this was me going down the American coastline.

Last I saw, all the action was around Haiti. We got nightly fights basing out of Ile-a-veche and sailing over to patrol Jamaica.

Lots of action died when the Brits recaptured ports and set them to times like 1400 and 1800 when neither of us could possibly fight over them outside of weekends, though. That certainly helped kill the server.

What we really need are the Euros to split up and some play on PVP1 and some play on PVP2 while the Americans do the same. For this game to really work as it is today, you need almost 24-7 time zone coverage in order to prevent port battle time window trolling.

The Spanish on PVP1 were pretty happy when we showed up. They'd been getting trolled by Brits (what is it with Brits?) with 0400-0600 windows. That's midnight eastern for us (9pm Pacific) so no problem. We flipped some of their ports back. Of course the British ("it's for our Australian players") failed to have anyone online to defend their own windows so free upgrades and money for us, which made it easy to get settled in.

Half the problem with this game is basically port battle window trolling. Having 2 good servers of mixed time zone populations is one immediately available solution. (Maybe they should have 2 servers and just not label them as "US" or "Euro".)

There are actually a few too many people for 1 server, I think. PVP1 gets a queue on weekends when US and Euro overlaps.

Edited by Slamz

I agree with you slams about the port timers. I hate it when Brits set retarded Windows, and I play as a Brit.

However defending ports is another story. I am simply unwilling to sail to defend a port. 100% of the time I've tried this, I've been way too late. If I'm in PR, I'm probably not going to sail to a port defense unless it's in Jamaica or island in direct vicinity. I never have a teleport ready because of how I play. I use my teleport at the beginning of each playing session for trading. Lots of other players I know do this too.

I usually ask if there will be any pb action when i log in but if i get no answer i tp to my hunting spot and will most likely not be able to do pbs.

I cant stand the way pb function in this game so im hoping they change all together.

I'm glad to see you think I am a troll.  I am far from.  Since i started on PVP 2 being an American it made sense.  The low player count simply led me and even my enemies coming to to PVP 1 and joining a clan together.  We have been stomping since.  GG with your empty server.

I agree with you slams about the port timers. I hate it when Brits set retarded Windows, and I play as a Brit.

However defending ports is another story. I am simply unwilling to sail to defend a port. 100% of the time I've tried this, I've been way too late. If I'm in PR, I'm probably not going to sail to a port defense unless it's in Jamaica or island in direct vicinity. I never have a teleport ready because of how I play. I use my teleport at the beginning of each playing session for trading. Lots of other players I know do this too.

Just a little tip - TPs are so valuable, I hate using one when I log in at prime time.  I do play during the day (work from home lucky me), so I often use 2-3 a day.

However, one thing you can do to help if you have limited playtime is to TP at the end of your play session to where you want to start the next day.  That way you might have a chance to TP to more action if you have a long evening session.

PS - still having tons of fun on PvP2, nay I say to the naysayers!