Game-Labs Forum

Can somebody explain this to me? Instant flood removal.......

Teamski

I was watching the video and was stunned when I saw a flooding ship instantaneously clear the flood.  This isn't cool.  It allowed the player to pop a repair and stay in the game.  Is this a hack???  Go to 23:18.  Opinions?

-Ski

Edited by Teamski
  • Like 1

I've never seen water pumped out so fast in this game.

Perhaps there is an error in the new crew system in relation to repairs?

We can certainly rule out a hack, unless this guy is a genius hacker who is also dumb enough to livestream his crimes.

What it looks like to me:

Pump gets so damaged it "wraps around".

Imagine pump health is represented by 1 unsigned byte, which is decimal values 0-255 (hex 0 to hex FF).

Full pump health is 100.

As pump takes damage, it goes to 0.

At a value of 1, it takes -5 damage. It should go to 0 health but instead "wraps around". 1 - 5 in an unsigned byte would give a value of hex FC or 252, making the pump actually 2.5x more powerful than it should be.

(This could also happen in multi-threading if there are not proper synchronizations in place:

Two threads are trying to manipulate pump values at the same time, with this sequence:

Pump health is 6.

Thread A: what is pump health? 6.

Thread B: what is pump health? 6.

Thread A: This is enough to apply my damage of 5 points. I subtract 5 from pump health.

Thread B: This is enough to apply my damage of 5 points. I subtract 5 from pump health.

Pump health is now -4, or, in an unsigned byte, positive 252.

Thread B should have set the value to 0 instead of subtracting 5 but he didn't know thread A was doing the same thing.

This is a common programming mistake when multi-threading and forgetting to properly synchronize access to common variables.)

Just a theory. You see his pump go red and water builds up and then suddenly his water level shoots down before he hits his pump repair.

I was kind of wondering about this because I've seen cases before (in previous patches) where my rudder takes hits and goes red and stops working, then takes more hits and goes...yellow? And I've had my pump go red, I take more hits, then the pump goes yellow. Really only see this in port battles where one ship can get majorly pounded. Never noticed weird stuff like this outside of port battles.

At the time I just assumed there was some sort of auto-repair action happening without me having to hit urgent repair but I did wonder if it was somehow looping around, and seeing the water shoot down like that makes me wonder.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 1

In the video it shows that the pump is destroyed (black) so i guess it has to do something with the formular that calculate the amount of water which is removed by the pump if the pump is damaged. The question is what happens if he didnt repair his pump, unsinkable?

i hope they dont used that unsigned byte....

• Like 1