Game-Labs Forum

Slamz Notoriety

Lefort

Its funny it happened to us. I fought my hardest in the bahamas and made a name for myself with USS, they always asked for me in battle. I come down se once the USS and brits started working togather because the pirates that ran refuse to help and are rude as hell. Now im here i see the same thing happening to the french with one guys rise to infamy. So it feels like this game is like a schoolyard pick on the lil guys and run when you get a tough situation. Gotta say i was loving this game at first but now its just getting pathetic with the unbalanced nations and lack of coordination. Its EA so w\e but i probably should just stop playing till these major issues are fixed

Its funny it happened to us. I fought my hardest in the bahamas and made a name for myself with USS, they always asked for me in battle. I come down se once the USS and brits started working togather because the pirates that ran refuse to help and are rude as hell. Now im here i see the same thing happening to the french with one guys rise to infamy. So it feels like this game is like a schoolyard pick on the lil guys and run when you get a tough situation. Gotta say i was loving this game at first but now its just getting pathetic with the unbalanced nations and lack of coordination. Its EA so w\e but i probably should just stop playing till these major issues are fixed

We're rude to the Bahamas group because they were snobby assholes that said we were running. At the time that wasn't the case. We just wanted out of shallow ports and some place we could be pirates. Granted that idea completely turned on its head after the great migration.

I wouldn't expect the current meta to remain the same for much longer. So instead of thinking of quitting just wait it out a bit longer and see what happens. Things are already shifting now that the US is hitting the brits in the west. 

I'm definitely not going to disagree with you about the mechanics to balance the nations needs to be addressed. I'm surprised that wasn't one of the first things they implemented. It's always the #1 problem with a faction based MMO.

• Like 1

Sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...

Is it wrong to post in my own notoriety thread? I don't know. This is new territory.

The OP's question is understandable because you'll notice the pirates ("and why only the pirates?") never really say much about what, exactly, I do to annoy them. Do I cheat? Exploit the game? Screenshots of my ship flying upside down raining cannoballs with 360-noscope? Do I hide behind a zerg armada or only fight them in ships 2 ratings higher? No? Huh.

It's really a lot less about what I do or how I do it and a lot more about who I do it to.

It's important to grasp the mentality of a lot of these pirates.

On one hand, pirates are sort of a symbol of black-clad ne'er-do-wells who go where they want and do what they want and always flaunt it in the face of The Man. On the other hand, and I blame Disney for this, they are also a symbol of a hardcore hardbody who always wins, frequently through direct show of force, and as a result can actually turn into The Man.

But it's tough to log into a game where you envisioned yourself as a hardcore hardbody resistance fighter and you end up getting drubbed daily by the United States. This was supposed to be....well... easy! But hey, "the U.S. is just a zerg team". Not even hardcore hardbody pirates can be expected to win against a zerg, am-i-right? (Disregard for a moment that this is exactly the sort of opponent pirates usually defy.) So they go out east, where they know they can totally push around the Danes, Swedes and French, who have like 50 players between the lot of them, and haven't been leveling as fast. The pirates all high-five each other over this idea and then plot to intimidate the locals into joining them, because that's the hardcore hardbody pirate way of doing diplomacy: threaten the enemy and the enemy caves in and does what they want. It's the basis of like half the movies ever made so you know it's a legit plan.

And oh, look, the French are running away! We're just taking their ports and they can't do anything! lololol! Stupid French are retreating and waving the white flag as fast as they can! Hahahaohwejustlostaportbattle.

Wait. What?

Pirates could not have lost a port battle against the French. You know what? That was a fluke. We pirates got lazy and the French won something but it's fine. We'll just take over this other one and oh **** like literally 8 French just intercepted our entire 20-man flag carrier fleet and pushed our flag carrier over and he sank (this actually happened). That's....another fluke! Just some noob pirates screwing up our awesome plans! Fine. It's fine. Everything is fine. We'll just....intimidate them into joining us. ALL THE PIRATE LEADERS, GET INTO THIS TEAMSPEAK. *much squabbling and complaining ensues but the pirate leaders, for what I like to imagine was the first time ever, finally assemble*

And then the French, historically laughed at as white flag wavers, actually spit in the pirates' faces and say "bring it". It is the worst day ever for the meeting organizer. His rage level is now at about 50 on a scale of 1 to 10. He lost a battle, lost a flag carrier, not costly so much as embarrassing, and some nobody French player just told him his plan was stupid and no deal in front of all the other pirate leaders. He doesn't feel at all piratey right now.

So he spends millions of gold and leads his team into empty port battles, taking all the French ports. This feels hollow and wins him no street cred with his pirate pals but he consoles himself with the thought of "That'll teach them! They'll turn on Slamz now!"

Except nobody seems to care and worst of all, the French are actually doing what this group of pirates said was impossible, which is refuse to cave in against a zerg, even at impossible odds, even as all the port dots change color. It's a slap in the face and if there's one thing a hardcore hardbody black flag waving coolguy pirate hates, it's being slapped in the face, especially by the French. ("Not in front of the other pirates!")

So now some of the pirate leaders hate me because I made them look silly and weak. ("Why couldn't we have done this to the United States?" some of the pirates start to ask. The pirate leadership does not appreciate this line of thinking.)

And there's a handful of mid-to-low level pirates who hate me because I'm incidentally ruining what is probably the best mission-running spot in the game (normally missions spawn far from ports but the ones in Pedernales bay tend to clump up within that bay, making it ideal for mission grinding). They don't want to leave and they're upset at the pirate leadership for not getting us out of there, further undermining the pirate leaders' authority. (Curiously, the pirate leadership has not shown up to fight us down there. I honestly don't know why. I have to assume they think it's beneath them, or it just interferes with their schedule of PvE fleet grinding. They hang out around Camp du Roy, where basically nothing happens. I assume they'll all show up in 1st rates or something eventually. Maybe that's what they're waiting on.)

The actual smart pirates just quietly moved away (or never came down to begin with) and try to keep out of it and try to pretend they don't hear what the self-declared pirate leaders are saying because they have realized whatever future there is in this game, fighting the French is not how you get ahead in life.

I really do think this is the greatest PvP game I have ever played.

Whatever notoriety I have has come purely from actually putting up an in-game fight, and generally knowing exactly what type of people the pirates are and therefore exactly how to push their buttons and why their buttons should be pushed.

And push their buttons I shall.

*push*

• Like 8

The real reason Slamz is targeted is because of his complete lack of understanding about the initial group of players to moved east. We did it before the US started their war of aggression. The later pirates moved for the reason slamz described, but Slamz is basically saying that about all pirates which isn't true. Slamz is obviously still butt hurt about us taking over the camp du roy area. I think Slamz had designs on it and we forced you to look south. Were Slamz ran into FC and SIN.

Then Slamz delude his own people into thinking the pirates weak and ignorant with bad leadership. Which once again isn't true. The french position today is proof of that. The ignorance and hate Slamz spews out of that hole he calls a mouth is why the french are being ground to dust at our leisure.

We're rude to the Bahamas group because they were snobby assholes that said we were running. At the time that wasn't the case. We just wanted out of shallow ports and some place we could be pirates. Granted that idea completely turned on its head after the great migration.

I wouldn't expect the current meta to remain the same for much longer. So instead of thinking of quitting just wait it out a bit longer and see what happens. Things are already shifting now that the US is hitting the brits in the west.

I'm definitely not going to disagree with you about the mechanics to balance the nations needs to be addressed. I'm surprised that wasn't one of the first things they implemented. It's always the #1 problem with a faction based MMO.

What you need to realize though is you guys completely abandoned us up here in the face of total annihilation and the only reasonable explination no matter how many excuses i have heard os that you dont want to fight the us players. All you would need is an outpost up there but everytime i ask for help all i get it. Idgaf about the bahamas then a bunch of pirates in support. Or its pirates of the carribean not the bahamas.... Just the most toxic community. Its like dealing with anyone from the USS clan. If icant get simple mature answers then how can the nation ever prosper. If u use mortimer or not having it camped by brits or us will make new players re roll us or brit giving us less numbers and people like me will quit and eventually you will have the same numbers as france and from what i have seen in combat you will be annihilated. So maybe you should talk with the disrespectful pirates in the se and convince them to fight an actual noteworthy enemy and stop trying to fight battles where you have no resistance.( the ppl i here saying no we didnt run. End up talking about plans of hitting 2 french ports at once so they dont have enough to fight back. That is cowardly to put it nicely) Edited by Dickbeard
  • Like 7

The real reason Slamz is targeted is because of his complete lack of understanding about the initial group of players to moved east. We did it before the US started their war of aggression. The later pirates moved for the reason slamz described, but Slamz is basically saying that about all pirates which isn't true. Slamz is obviously still butt hurt about us taking over the camp du roy area. I think Slamz had designs on it and we forced you to look south. Were Slamz ran into FC and SIN.

Then Slamz delude his own people into thinking the pirates weak and ignorant with bad leadership. Which once again isn't true. The french position today is proof of that. The ignorance and hate Slamz spews out of that hole he calls a mouth is why the french are being ground to dust at our leisure.

This is and has never been about Camp Du Roy at least on the part of the French.  It's everything that happened AFTER that.

What you need to realize though is you guys completely abandoned us up here in the face of total annihilation and the only reasonable explination no matter how many excuses i have heard os that you dont want to fight the us players. All you would need is an outpost up there but everytime i ask for help all i get it. Idgaf about the bahamas then a bunch of pirates in support. Or its pirates of the carribean not the bahamas.... Just the most toxic community. Its like dealing with anyone from the USS clan. If icant get simple mature answers then how can the nation ever prosper. If u use mortimer or not having it camped by brits or us will make new players re roll us or brit giving us less numbers and people like me will quit and eventually you will have the same numbers as france and from what i have seen in combat you will be annihilated. So maybe you should talk with the disrespectful pirates in the se and convince them to fight an actual noteThat's really nice man. I wouldn't want to do it tonight just because it's a piece that I would redraw to make it perfect. Pieces like these I always need time to redraw it. You can see my work on my Instagram Michaelmtattoo. Ask your wife if she would like to come tomorrow or another noteworthy enemy and stop trying to fight battles where you have no resistance.( the ppl i here saying no we didnt run. End up talking about plans of hitting 2 french ports at once so they dont have enough to fight back. That is cowardly to put it nicely)

Pirates by there very nature aren't a nation (even though we currently are mechanic wise). You demand help but offer nothing in return. Why should we care what you think? We carved out our own home. You can do that same. If you can't thats on you. Not us. Stop projecting your own problems onto us.

• Like 1

This is and has never been about Camp Du Roy at least on the part of the French.  It's everything that happened AFTER that.

Wrong, the pirates he spat in the face of ARE the camp du roy pirates. The current pirates you guys fight weren't even around when this all started.

Pirates by there very nature aren't a nation (even though we currently are mechanic wise). You demand help but offer nothing in return. Why should we care what you think? We carved out our own home. You can do that same. If you can't thats on you. Not us. Stop projecting your own problems onto us.

I moved down there to help you. Participated in helping port battles for the last couple of days but it feels just wrong. I feel like i joined USS because the port battles that are won you outnumber them. The ones you lost they actually showed up! So it makes sense why you ran and refuse to help even though it is clearly hurting our nation( even though you refuse to recognize we are a copy and paste of every other faction) but thats fine! Once the even numbers hit ill be glad to come back and say i told you so. Or maybe... Just maybe i will re roll france since they seem to know a thing or two about honor and helping the nation not just your own selfish interests.

Wrong, the pirates he spat in the face of ARE the camp du roy pirates. The current pirates you guys fight weren't even around when this all started.

Slamz pissed off the Du Roy boys because the Pirates in the SE went to them for help when we starting kicking South Eastern Pirates arses. Those Pirates aren't even down here anymore since they no longer want to deal with us.

No body even cares about Du Roy accept you and some French on PVP1. Purge joined the server and drove straight south east and has been there ever since.

I moved down there to help you. Participated in helping port battles for the last couple of days but it feels just wrong. I feel like i joined USS because the port battles that are won you outnumber them. The ones you lost they actually showed up! So it makes sense why you ran and refuse to help even though it is clearly hurting our nation( even though you refuse to recognize we are a copy and paste of every other faction) but thats fine! Once the even numbers hit ill be glad to come back and say i told you so. Or maybe... Just maybe i will re roll france since they seem to know a thing or two about honor and helping the nation not just your own selfish interests.

Funny i've never seen you in one of CF's port battles. Also are you a solo player or do you represent a group? In either case if you want help you have to bring something to the table.

Actually the only real port battles that have been lost. Were either last minute barely organized affairs, or run by the smaller clans that lack coordination and proper tactics command. That said the game is heavily in favor of defenders. 25v25 port battles unless massively outshipped in deep water. Will almost always favor the defender. Though that is how it should be IMHO.

Sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...

Is it wrong to post in my own notoriety thread? I don't know. This is new territory.

The OP's question is understandable because you'll notice the pirates ("and why only the pirates?") never really say much about what, exactly, I do to annoy them. Do I cheat? Exploit the game? Screenshots of my ship flying upside down raining cannoballs with 360-noscope? Do I hide behind a zerg armada or only fight them in ships 2 ratings higher? No? Huh.

It's really a lot less about what I do or how I do it and a lot more about who I do it to.

It's important to grasp the mentality of a lot of these pirates.

On one hand, pirates are sort of a symbol of black-clad ne'er-do-wells who go where they want and do what they want and always flaunt it in the face of The Man. On the other hand, and I blame Disney for this, they are also a symbol of a hardcore hardbody who always wins, frequently through direct show of force, and as a result can actually turn into The Man.

But it's tough to log into a game where you envisioned yourself as a hardcore hardbody resistance fighter and you end up getting drubbed daily by the United States. This was supposed to be....well... easy! But hey, "the U.S. is just a zerg team". Not even hardcore hardbody pirates can be expected to win against a zerg, am-i-right? (Disregard for a moment that this is exactly the sort of opponent pirates usually defy.) So they go out east, where they know they can totally push around the Danes, Swedes and French, who have like 50 players between the lot of them, and haven't been leveling as fast. The pirates all high-five each other over this idea and then plot to intimidate the locals into joining them, because that's the hardcore hardbody pirate way of doing diplomacy: threaten the enemy and the enemy caves in and does what they want. It's the basis of like half the movies ever made so you know it's a legit plan.

And oh, look, the French are running away! We're just taking their ports and they can't do anything! lololol! Stupid French are retreating and waving the white flag as fast as they can! Hahahaohwejustlostaportbattle.

Wait. What?

Pirates could not have lost a port battle against the French. You know what? That was a fluke. We pirates got lazy and the French won something but it's fine. We'll just take over this other one and oh **** like literally 8 French just intercepted our entire 20-man flag carrier fleet and pushed our flag carrier over and he sank (this actually happened). That's....another fluke! Just some noob pirates screwing up our awesome plans! Fine. It's fine. Everything is fine. We'll just....intimidate them into joining us. ALL THE PIRATE LEADERS, GET INTO THIS TEAMSPEAK. *much squabbling and complaining ensues but the pirate leaders, for what I like to imagine was the first time ever, finally assemble*

And then the French, historically laughed at as white flag wavers, actually spit in the pirates' faces and say "bring it". It is the worst day ever for the meeting organizer. His rage level is now at about 50 on a scale of 1 to 10. He lost a battle, lost a flag carrier, not costly so much as embarrassing, and some nobody French player just told him his plan was stupid and no deal in front of all the other pirate leaders. He doesn't feel at all piratey right now.

So he spends millions of gold and leads his team into empty port battles, taking all the French ports. This feels hollow and wins him no street cred with his pirate pals but he consoles himself with the thought of "That'll teach them! They'll turn on Slamz now!"

Except nobody seems to care and worst of all, the French are actually doing what this group of pirates said was impossible, which is refuse to cave in against a zerg, even at impossible odds, even as all the port dots change color. It's a slap in the face and if there's one thing a hardcore hardbody black flag waving coolguy pirate hates, it's being slapped in the face, especially by the French. ("Not in front of the other pirates!")

So now some of the pirate leaders hate me because I made them look silly and weak. ("Why couldn't we have done this to the United States?" some of the pirates start to ask. The pirate leadership does not appreciate this line of thinking.)

And there's a handful of mid-to-low level pirates who hate me because I'm incidentally ruining what is probably the best mission-running spot in the game (normally missions spawn far from ports but the ones in Pedernales bay tend to clump up within that bay, making it ideal for mission grinding). They don't want to leave and they're upset at the pirate leadership for not getting us out of there, further undermining the pirate leaders' authority. (Curiously, the pirate leadership has not shown up to fight us down there. I honestly don't know why. I have to assume they think it's beneath them, or it just interferes with their schedule of PvE fleet grinding. They hang out around Camp du Roy, where basically nothing happens. I assume they'll all show up in 1st rates or something eventually. Maybe that's what they're waiting on.)

The actual smart pirates just quietly moved away (or never came down to begin with) and try to keep out of it and try to pretend they don't hear what the self-declared pirate leaders are saying because they have realized whatever future there is in this game, fighting the French is not how you get ahead in life.

I really do think this is the greatest PvP game I have ever played.

Whatever notoriety I have has come purely from actually putting up an in-game fight, and generally knowing exactly what type of people the pirates are and therefore exactly how to push their buttons and why their buttons should be pushed.

And push their buttons I shall.

*push*

This is why he's notorious^

You can feel the self inflation every time he types something. His reputation also preceded him from Potbs as being someone unsavory. He even has a special spot on his forums for negative posts against him that he flaunts as trophies I guess.

It's not at all what he does in game, that stuff doesn't make any difference. It's how he carries himself in other media. I pity the guy really. Think he needs a chill pill or something that way he can have a normal conversation with people.

Funny i've never seen you in one of CF's port battles. Also are you a solo player or do you represent a group? In either case if you want help you have to bring something to the table.

Actually the only real port battles that have been lost. Were either last minute barely organized affairs, or run by the smaller clans that lack coordination and proper tactics command. That said the game is heavily in favor of defenders. 25v25 port battles unless massively outshipped in deep water. Will almost always favor the defender. Though that is how it should be IMHO.[/quote

Im in a clan but my actions are that my own. Most of my clan hasnt been on the past week since we just dont have the numbers to fight the US and Birts and we hate the idea of retreat. I have not made it to all of them but grabbed some french before they could get there. The battles have been happening far from du roy and i have not always had time to get there since there is not much comms in rat chat. But do u see how your response is towards me? This kind of attitude will get pirates nowhere. One of my favorite things was building my clan ships for resource cost so we can stick it to the USS but once we lost all those ports i was unable to. Why cant you guys just sayhey organize it and we will help. You teleport to mort fight some good battlss and come back its not like you have to sail all the way there.

Dickbeard is one of the Mani's. And as someone who fights up north and east, you will see more pvp up that way in a single night than you will see in a week out East.

I got respect for you poe. Never been disrespectful and stated your points in a polite manor. I have been frustrated though with the response from the others seriously with the numbers we have down there we could crusb the USS! With 8 vs 25 we put up such a good fight alot of them run from the battle!

[to Obliterati] What you need to realize though is you guys completely abandoned us up here in the face of total annihilation and the only reasonable explination no matter how many excuses i have heard os that you dont want to fight the us players.

Hate to say it but at some point, unless a real pirate leader can step up and take the team in a better direction, your best bet may be to shop for a better team to join. The French are frankly acting much more like pirates now than the actual Pirate team and I'm sure the Spanish could use more fighters. The Dutch have a nice area carved out and could become an interesting team, too. I think the Danes might have closed shop but there might be room for a small clan to be a big fish there.

The pirate team got unfortunately infested with a lot of "winners" -- you know the type. The people who just can't play unless they are winning, and will do whatever it takes to gain advantage and avoid disadvantage. I would just about guarantee that guilds like [CF] are waiting until they can field a bunch of 1st rates before they attack anyone else because they don't want to set foot into a deep water port battle without a 50% battle rating advantage. I do think they'll come back to help you one day, but not until they are as superbly over-prepared as they can manage, and their effort will only last as long as they are winning.

I thought I was the most hated man in PVP 2 :( guess I am doing something wrong.

It's okay, Lord Roberts. They hate you too. They hate you too. I think they hate a lot of people, which at some point starts to say a lot more about them than it says about anyone they hate.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 1

Hate to say it but at some point, unless a real pirate leader can step up and take the team in a better direction, your best bet may be to shop for a better team to join. The French are frankly acting much more like pirates now than the actual Pirate team and I'm sure the Spanish could use more fighters. The Dutch have a nice area carved out and could become an interesting team, too. I think the Danes might have closed shop but there might be room for a small clan to be a big fish there.

The pirate team got unfortunately infested with a lot of "winners" -- you know the type. The people who just can't play unless they are winning, and will do whatever it takes to gain advantage and avoid disadvantage. I would just about guarantee that guilds like [FC] are waiting until they can field a bunch of 1st rates before they attack anyone else because they don't want to set foot into a deep water port battle without a 50% battle rating advantage. I do think they'll come back to help you one day, but not until they are as superbly over-prepared as they can manage, and their effort will only last as long as they are winning.

It's okay, Lord Roberts. They hate you too. They hate you too. I think they hate a lot of people, which at some point starts to say a lot more about them than it says about anyone they hate.

Honestly i would have re rolled french if i wasnt going to loose my crafting blueprints