Game-Labs Forum

Please put in random wind...

As it is now it boring, silly and predictable when the wind moves counter clockwise. Put in a random wind system in open world as well. Would make open world travel and chases etc more fun. Should be a easy and fun thing to implement to the game.

Edited by Shoeshine
  • Like 4

Wow im dense. Almost a month of playing and i never noticed it was a pattern lol. :/ then again as a kos pirate i am constantly scanning in circles around my ship to look for guys after me flag.

Thats probably another reason i dont find the OW boring, im usually butt clenched the entire time scared im gonna get jumped.

Using unity it is actually relatively easy to create a randomised global wind system. As long as the wind variables are not static and do not inherit from monobehavoir (otherwise this would create a unique wind system per player as opposed to globally) you can create a seemingly random wind system.

Anyway, I won't go in to detail, I'm sure the developers know exactly what they are doing. It is most likely on their list of things to do.

Real wind actually does cycle as high and low pressure cells move across the world. Real life wind is not random. The current model is simplistic but closer to reality than random wind would be. In the northern hemisphere, low pressure cells have generally counter-clockwise air movement, and high pressure cells have clockwise air movement. These cells as 'units' generally move from west to east, so your perception of the wind from a stationary observer (or one at sailing speeds) would show a procession either clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on whether the cell moving through the region was a low or high pressure cell. I would imagine that the developers put in the simple circular model in order to build a framework for later refinement of the wind system, which would probably include more local variation in low pressure cyclone masses (i.e. storms) and also maybe some calculation that handles effects from sustained atmospheric motion (e.g. trade winds) and also some seasonal variation. The general predictability of wind patterns (again, general predictability) is what led to the Age of Sail in the first place. Quite frankly, I was surprised that the game handled wind the way it does because it really shows that the designers have a high level of insight into real life sailing.

• Like 4

I like the idea of a variable rate. I'd also suggest a change in direction at midnight, maybe, to keep us on our toes.

Still not realistic, but more interesting.

I agree with the developer points that realistic fickle and contrary winds will frustrate us more than they are worth in realism.

Real wind actually does cycle as high and low pressure cells move across the world. Real life wind is not random. The current model is simplistic but closer to reality than random wind would be. In the northern hemisphere, low pressure cells have generally counter-clockwise air movement, and high pressure cells have clockwise air movement. These cells as 'units' generally move from west to east, so your perception of the wind from a stationary observer (or one at sailing speeds) would show a procession either clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on whether the cell moving through the region was a low or high pressure cell. I would imagine that the developers put in the simple circular model in order to build a framework for later refinement of the wind system, which would probably include more local variation in low pressure cyclone masses (i.e. storms) and also maybe some calculation that handles effects from sustained atmospheric motion (e.g. trade winds) and also some seasonal variation. The general predictability of wind patterns (again, general predictability) is what led to the Age of Sail in the first place. Quite frankly, I was surprised that the game handled wind the way it does because it really shows that the designers have a high level of insight into real life sailing.

"Wind direction changes often accompany changes in the weather. The air flows cyclonically around low pressure systems. If the wind changes direction in a cyclonic fashion it often means a low pressure or front is influencing the forecast area. A wind shifting from the south often means warmer air is approaching and a wind from the north often means cooler air is approaching. When the wind changes abruptly it could be a frontal passage or wind direction change caused by thunderstorm outflow.

When the wind speeds are light then a change in wind direction is not as significant. You may have heard the phrase "winds will be light and variable". When the winds are light it indicates there is not much of a steering current to move the wind. When winds are light, mesoscale influences will tend to start influencing wind direction. The winds can continue shifting from a variety of directions when winds are light."

To me it sure sounds like the wind can change direction quite often depending on the weather etc in real life...

Edited by Shoeshine

Wind direction should tend toward constant in the short-term and random in the long-term.  That would translate into 1-4 in-game days (randomized, but weighted toward 2-3 days) of wind coming from one direction with random minor changes +/- (no more than 15-30°) from that direction, then a chance of a major shift.  This would provide more consistency for the typical trip within a region, prevent some port-to-port trips always having bad wind (as would be the case with a prevailing direction), and add an element of uncertainty that would have to be accounted for in planning port attacks.

• Like 5

I don't think random winds are a bad idea, but how would that fix the annoyance and boredom in circular wind patterns?

A circular wind pattern allows you to schedule your sailing days wherever you want to go.

It would probably be harder to implement as well, not only that it doesn't really optimize your sailing in any way

However, it would be nice to have it as a more... realistic approach to the game.

It would have it's pros and cons.

I'm not too fussed about the current wind in the OW im more frustrated by the relatively unchanging wind in battles, I would like to see it a bit more randomised to make it more responsive to players, there should be light winds to heavy gales in battle with more weighting to a more standardised middle ground weather. Light winds should offer slow speed and make manoeuvrability much more important where as heavy gales should require you to run your ship at half or below sails to prevent huge sweeps in wind rocking the ship too much to engage easily in battle. Both enhancing the feel and realism of the game

• Like 1

I'm not too fussed about the current wind in the OW im more frustrated by the relatively unchanging wind in battles, I would like to see it a bit more randomised to make it more responsive to players, there should be light winds to heavy gales in battle with more weighting to a more standardised middle ground weather. Light winds should offer slow speed and make manoeuvrability much more important where as heavy gales should require you to run your ship at half or below sails to prevent huge sweeps in wind rocking the ship too much to engage easily in battle. Both enhancing the feel and realism of the game

You're right. Search youtube for "naval action storm battle"

I would support the direction the wind is shifting in changing every so often at random, but not wind actually full on randomly changing direction, because that is neither realistic, nor productive to the game. The skill that makes you good at maneuvering in this game is foresight. Thinking ahead. If the wind shifts direction completely unpredictably in an instant it reduces the ability to leverage that skill, making the game less skill based.

• Like 1

For fair gameplay, I prefer the wind mechanics the way it is on OW.
Otherwises it would look something like this for a short period of time and always be changing if it was truly realistic.
008efcf84eb44c8204e25df7472e0415.gif

For simplicity, this is in arrows:
Complicated_Wind.jpg
Mountains, hills, islands, land temperature and foliage, or lack of it, like sand or rocks, would have an effect on the wind also:
Complicated_Wind_Land.jpg
I uploaded this current real time image of the wind in the Caribbean now. Of course it's outdated by the time I post this.  ;) 

Edited by Admiral 8Q
  • Like 3

You're right. Search youtube for "naval action storm battle"

I know, I've taken part in a couple of storm battles, the only difference I can tell is that the waves are slightly higher so low cannons become a pain and thst viability is poor which only really hurts people using long guns. The wind difference is poor and putting full sails up in that kind of weather would toss you about all over the place, possibly even capsizing you

• Like 1

I prefer it predictable. Where I live the only randomness is the rate. N or N/W to W S/W sometimes S rarely S/E. If a front comes through the change N/W to S S/W is sudden. Wind patterns are predictable usually. I think it's the coriolus effect.

Apparently the Caribbean is in the horse latitudes. Refer below

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_wind_patterns