Game-Labs Forum

Invisibility and invulnerability abuse

Sailwayz

I'd like to report the abuse of said functions by pirate players named "Sho Kosugi" and "Airilan White". Both of those players kept camping at Ile-a-vache persistently abusing the game to avoid any kind of defense attempt on our part.

This brings a suggestion to implement a timer preventing a player from playing hide and seek with the people protecting the traders. I have nothing against seeking refuge in a free port as long as it is not turning into constant abuse of the protection system.

utilising a game mechanic with the direct reason it exists is hardly an exploit. invisibility and invuln are there to allow players to see what awaits them on an undock. if they dont like it they can dock back up. that sounds like that is exactly what they did.

if you want to change a game mechanic because you don't think it works very well i would suggest not blaming the players but instead making a suggestion in the appropriate subforum...

Edited by chappy
  • Like 2

Okay, will explain this as plain as I can in simple terms.

Free port. Pirate inside. Pirate pops out, pops in before invincibility timer runs out. Pops out again. People outside the port are getting annoyed. Pirate pops in port before the timer runs out. Boats outside disperse, because there's no way to engage the pirate who keeps on docking the port repeatedly for protection. Pirate pops out, nobody outside, pirate goes for a nearby player trader. Harassment.

Is this explanation simple enough now?

i really dont see how this is abuse? are you suggesting that they only attack when it suits them? how dare they!

its worth noting that once they attack a player there is several minutes for you to mount a defense by joining the instance  and you dont even have to wait out the invuln timer to join a battle

Edited by chappy

I give up, you, sir, fail to understand the point here. Please read my posts again.

No, I understand your posts clearly.  What you describe is not against the rules, but intended game play.  I am not sure why it takes more than 3 people to convince you of this.

I give up, you, sir, fail to understand the point here. Please read my posts again.

Disagreeing with you is not a failure to understand, it's a disagreement with your conclusions. The mechanic was clearly used as intended: "pop out, see if the coast is clear, if not then re-dock." Perhaps it's just to represent our ability to walk outside and look with our eyes, since we can't do that while in-harbour.

If you really want to think about this in a kind of realistic manner, players hiding in an outpost wouldn't have to undock to see who's waiting for them outside. They'd just look out of the tavern window.

This mechanic doesn't just assist pirates, it assists every player in exactly the same way so I don't see how this is an exploit.  

If you want to catch someone, don't sit in the harbor like a muppet waiting for them. This is only going to force them to stay docked up. Use the heed and move away then catch them in open waters.

I'm sure if the tables were turned and you stuck in a port with a group of pirates outside waiting for you, you'd do exactly the same thing.  Tell me I'm wrong?

Okay, will explain this as plain as I can in simple terms.

Free port. Pirate inside. Pirate pops out, pops in before invincibility timer runs out. Pops out again. People outside the port are getting annoyed. Pirate pops in port before the timer runs out. Boats outside disperse, because there's no way to engage the pirate who keeps on docking the port repeatedly for protection. Pirate pops out, nobody outside, pirate goes for a nearby player trader. Harassment.

Is this explanation simple enough now?

And what is a abuse in this case?  A fine tactic, you teached me imho.  :lol:

But 1 minute cooldown, 20 seconds Attack timer. So why the harrassed trader docks in the town in 1:20 minutes?

Edited by KanoFu

Why is the trader in this mystical situation of yours just sat around outside, not going anywhere, not doing anything. Especially after his protection force leaves a known hostile area.

If as I suspect, the trader wasn't sitting around doing nothing then please explain how on earth it can be "harassment".

Want the solution? YOU all jump in port, do the exact same thing. Make sure you get back inside before you become visible they will never know you are there. Then when they attract your magically AFK trader friend you can all bundle into the battle. In fact just to flip it even further in your favour, your trader friend can call AI reinforcements before you join to match the BR rating of the pirates, then you pile in on top to fully swing it in your favour.

Now who has the more broken mechanic?