Game-Labs Forum

Dutch Flags and in general

I was playing a portbattle at night and when i was fighting the French i found out that it is very hard to identify friend or foe. So my suggestion is to change the Dutch flag to to a 2 or 3 times (seen in the pictures). On the forum of paintings you can also see that Dutch ships tend to have at least 2 different flags on board. Some have ships i do know of have the current Dutch flag and a double Dutch flag(on top of the highest mast) but also the triple Dutch flag

And for the ships in general we should have flags on top of the mast at least on the highest mast a flag of your nation.

post-10611-0-42485500-1456148106_thumb.jpg

post-10611-0-33755000-1456148108_thumb.jpg

Haha that made me chuckle Galileus, you French custard cream.

I do agree with Piet though. I have no sentimental preference on which Dutch flag, Being an Englishman myself but I certainly wouldn't say no to the rather charming orange white blue flag shown in one of those pics in the interests of contrast between the Dutch and French if it is indeed historically correct

Edited by Monkey Bullet

I do agree with Piet though. I have no sentimental preference on which Dutch flag, Being an Englishman myself but I certainly wouldn't say no to the rather charming orange white blue flag shown in one of those pics in the interests of contrast between the Dutch and French if it is indeed historically correct

100.gif

Blegh, no orange please. I'd suggest for the flag of the Netherlands either the 'Statenvlag' ('States Flag'), which is identical to the flag of Luxembourg right now, or the flag of the Batavian Republic:

Flags_of_the_Batavian_Republic.jpg

Or alternatively, choose naval flags (or make a combination with some), as the one mentioned by the original poster, but they were mainly used in the 17th century fighting the Spanish oppressor (see the re-enactment photo there), or this one called 'De Dubbele Geus' ('The Double Beggar'; The word geus in its historical sense has more connotation with resistance fighters than the true origin from the french word gueux, used at first by aristocracy to talk about the 'poor people'):

Dutch_naval_jack.png

The flag is still flown from time to time by the Dutch navy:

2610_vlaggen_en_geus.jpg

100.gif

Blegh, no orange please. I'd suggest for the flag of the Netherlands either the 'Statenvlag' ('States Flag'), which is identical to the flag of Luxembourg right now, or the flag of the Batavian Republic:

Flags_of_the_Batavian_Republic.jpg

Or alternatively, choose naval flags (or make a combination with some), as the one mentioned by the original poster, but they were mainly used in the 17th century fighting the Spanish oppressor (see the re-enactment photo there), or this one called 'De Dubbele Geus' ('The Double Beggar'; The word geus in its historical sense has more connotation with resistance fighters than the true origin from the french word gueux, used at first by aristocracy to talk about the 'poor people'):

Dutch_naval_jack.png

The flag is still flown from time to time by the Dutch navy:

2610_vlaggen_en_geus.jpg

Do you want to be even more confused? Or you want to change nothing about the flag?

Well the Orange-white-blue flag is a historical flag which is from 1627 but it has to be different then the one we currently have.

And also it is a suggestion you could also use the one on the left which is also a time periode correct flag

Edited by SteelSandwich
To prevent stretching the page, added spoiler.

The Geus is a (rescistance) marine/sailor, not a beggar.

The geuzen used futuristic naval raiding tactics and naval landings to assist our revolt against the spanish. And were the main Dutch naval force during the age and the geuzen itself were sailors or marines, the best fighters in the age (1580).

Just to give non-dutchies some info on them. ;)

Edited by bramluijken

The geuzen used futuristic naval raiding tactics and naval landings to assist our revolt against the spanish. And were the main Dutch naval force during the age and the geuzen itself were sailors or marines, the best fighters in the age (1580).

The english term for Geuzen is 'Sea Beggar'.

Orange would suggest a pre 1650 ship, since thats when it was fazed out.

Flag variations:

Dutch Navy flag <1650

4xRYaYU.jpg

Dutch Navy flag >1650

rUrzU56.png

Geoctroyeerde West-indische Compagnie <1650

BJT02dM.jpg

Geoctroyeerde West-indische Compagnie >1650

5FJfC4x.png

Admiral Flag

JRU7rdX.jpg

• Like 1

The english term for Geuzen is 'Sea Beggar'.

Orange would suggest a pre 1650 ship, since thats when it was fazed out.

Flag variations:

Dutch Navy flag <1650

4xRYaYU.jpg

Dutch Navy flag >1650

rUrzU56.png

Geoctroyeerde West-indische Compagnie <1650

BJT02dM.jpg

Geoctroyeerde West-indische Compagnie >1650

5FJfC4x.png

Admiral Flag

JRU7rdX.jpg

Steel i see you also have the dates from when which flag was, but were is the dubble stripe flag?

Edited by SteelSandwich
To prevent stretching the page, added spoiler.

Do you want to be even more confused? Or you want to change nothing about the flag?

Well the Orange-white-blue flag is a historical flag which is from 1627 but it has to be different then the one we currently have.

And also it is a suggestion you could also use the one on the left which is also a time periode correct flag

I didn't say it wasn't historical. I'm just a republican at heart and oppose the use of orange. Period.

That last one is being used as a Jack flag.  Only flown at anchor and from the jack staff on the bow.  Not sure if it was always like that, but if it's a jack flag, it's incorrect to fly it from the stern as your colors.

That's modern rules and used 'in honour'. It was flown originally at the bowsprit during the battles against the Spanish in the 16th century apparently and I found it a very distinctive flag to add to the nation flag. And yes, I didn't mean to replace the current one with that.

Geus is 'een bedelaar', 'a beggar', 'een armoedzaaier', 'a pauper'. A quick google could have spared you the embarrassment ;)

People should get the choice to pick whatever nation flag is historically correct, or the clan leaders should be able to pick a historically correct clan flag.

I didn't say it wasn't historical. I'm just a republican at heart and oppose the use of orange. Period.

That's modern rules and used 'in honour'. It was flown originally at the bowsprit during the battles against the Spanish in the 16th century apparently and I found it a very distinctive flag to add to the nation flag. And yes, I didn't mean to replace the current one with that.

Geus is 'een bedelaar', 'a beggar', 'een armoedzaaier', 'a pauper'. A quick google could have spared you the embarrassment ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geuzen

check this link please.