Game-Labs Forum

The supposed reset.

I'm not one to complain, atleast not too often, however in the global chat of the servers i frequent mainly being PVP US 2 I was wondering how do the developers expect the higher level members to re-obtain their ships and such? I mean supposedly it's a gold and character reset, but say if I frequently solo missions and I'm fighting say a Renomnee in a cutter, how am I expected to gather enough money to get my level ships back? I know the option of small battles are there, but that would take far too long just to get to the point I was previously at.

This isn't necessarily me having a go, I was just wondering at the aspect in the future.

Kind regards fellow Captains,

WilliamofOranje

• Like 1

The people grinding for gold and high level ships are literally playing the game wrong, is your answer.

All of that will be wiped at some point. I don't think it's definite but it sounds likely, as any economic or crafting revamp seems likely to result in a complete asset wipe. I can also imagine how a map wipe would result in an asset wipe. This is, after all, pre-release. Alpha. "Early Access." It's not quite like an MMORPG beta test because we will keep our XP but everything else is on the potential chopping block.

Personally I've been doing PvP almost entirely in Snow and Mercury type ships and it's been amazing. We wolfpack around known enemy areas and have sunk loads of Surprises, Rens and even Trins, including in group on group fights (i.e., it's not just about ganking, although that's fun too).

I wouldn't be surprised if a wipe caused a lot of, let's face it, "try-hards" to quit, but there's nobody to blame but themselves.

Anyone who has spent the last 3 weeks grinding to get that 1st rate has been playing a fool's game and should have seriously known better.

The devs could reset all assets and port owners tomorrow for all we know.

• Like 4

U forget u can capture ships. 

So if u are admiral in a cutter and have 10 gold coins in your pocket, U go out find a privateer and capture it. Then u find a snow and capture it.  

Then you team up with another snow and capture a renomee.  Do i need to continue?

Its easy to capture traders in a cutter, do that a few times and if the materials are right keep them to craft with, if not sell them for gold. Once you have your gold you can buy your required resources to craft with or you can purchase a better ship and do it all again till your back in the ship you have. Either though crafting or buying.

Its not hard, they have also said this once before when PVP EU 1 was full, they said just go to PVP 2 and capture traders for a bit in your cutter until you can afford a better ship for your rank.

I think this phenomenon of "How do I get to an appropriate rank ship without one?"  is a perfect illustration why basing ships themselves on gold rather than everything other than ships is a flaw in the game. It'd make more sense if ships were some kind of permanent unlock and the thing you replace is their equipment and crew, because that way there is a baseline of power built into high rank.

I with my own noobish thinking , scrubbed my account by accident, So basically I have been running around in a Basic Cutter ( everything got wiped but XP ) trying to face off with the Missions given to me against much more powerful ship classes on the missions (due to my rank)....

Finally I am back up to being able to stand and fight it out in a sense, it took about 4 days but it was done by going after the low level contraband trader classes, captured them, pretty good loot in the holds, then upgraded, rinse and repeat....this included the missions but I would stay in them as long as I could but would have to escape when damage got to bad, good thing though is you still get rewarded some gold and even XP even if you couldn't complete it.

Its been a blast actually, roaming the coastline hunting.

I think if it does happen some players may get frustrated, and this may happen to me again if they wipe it clean, I just have to accept and understand that the game is still in that development process and this could happen due to reasons out of our control for the good of the game. But lets hope not :)

U forget u can capture ships. 

So if u are admiral in a cutter and have 10 gold coins in your pocket, U go out find a privateer and capture it. Then u find a snow and capture it.  

Then you team up with another snow and capture a renomee.  Do i need to continue?

The problem with this is say, at my current rank which is Kapitein-Leuitnant for the Dutch, how is one expected to fight privateers etc, when the missions depend on the rank of the player and thus the only way I could fight a privateer is A.) find a friend with a low level and do it that way which is completely plausible or B.)luck out and find that a trader is being protected by a privateer or something.

The people grinding for gold and high level ships are literally playing the game wrong, is your answer.

All of that will be wiped at some point. I don't think it's definite but it sounds likely, as any economic or crafting revamp seems likely to result in a complete asset wipe. I can also imagine how a map wipe would result in an asset wipe. This is, after all, pre-release. Alpha. "Early Access." It's not quite like an MMORPG beta test because we will keep our XP but everything else is on the potential chopping block.

Personally I've been doing PvP almost entirely in Snow and Mercury type ships and it's been amazing. We wolfpack around known enemy areas and have sunk loads of Surprises, Rens and even Trins, including in group on group fights (i.e., it's not just about ganking, although that's fun too).

I wouldn't be surprised if a wipe caused a lot of, let's face it, "try-hards" to quit, but there's nobody to blame but themselves.

Anyone who has spent the last 3 weeks grinding to get that 1st rate has been playing a fool's game and should have seriously known better.

The devs could reset all assets and port owners tomorrow for all we know.

This isn't necessarily correct. I'll admit I've done some hardcore grinding because the ship I've wanted to try is the Cerberus, which I only got last night. This early grind in the "Early Access" gives players the chance to achieve and try out those boats that they want to try. I know that everything is subject to change due to an Alpha and more. But I'm just saying from what I see in the Global and Help chats of the servers I'm in of players currently talking about a "Announced (only) gold & character reset, but no XP." 

I appreciate the reply and I'll agree with you on the fact hardcore grinding for top ships is stupid. But if it's Alpha and no matter what we are subject to change why not for now make the grind easier for people so the reset won't hit them as hard? Of course you'll see a lot more people in top tier ships, but that's where the fun is in my opinion.

You guys are overthinking this.

You can cap traders and make money off that. You can do small/large battles and make money off that. You can go do PVP and many money off that.

This is a non-issue.

I thought about the small/large battle as a sort of answer to the query, but in deeper thinking of it traders are almost pointless, a basic cutter can carry next to nothing in hold space, sure you can sell the boat but for a measly amount. the PVP aspects of large & small battles take too long. I can join a small battle we can outnumber the enemy and they'll just run in the battle even if they're in a cutter because of their internet pride. It's not a major issue I'll say, but it needs to be addressed and have some light shone on it.

mate there are AI ships everywere... you can easly find a privateer,, find a trader with a fleet backup.. the trader runs but you cap the other ship.. there are really no issue here... and ive been jumping around from server to server and nation to nation to see the diffrent community..  its np :)

I'd prefer a full wipe before release.  And that's with 126 hours invested so far.  Soft wipe makes sense if they have to do it during alpha/beta/early access but not for release, imo.  But the game has been fun!  I'll replay it from 1st rank without issue.

post-19452-0-32299800-1456068219_thumb.jpg

But if it's Alpha and no matter what we are subject to change why not for now make the grind easier for people so the reset won't hit them as hard?

Because one of the things they are testing is the economy and the appropriate rate of progression.

Anyway, here's some admin quotes on resets:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/10679-news-from-the-south/page-3#entry189612

At least 1 full port map reset might happen in the future or maybe two. + 1 more on the release on the game. And we don't really know how the final conquest will look like. 

TLDR - don't get to attached to ports.

As a tester and a early access player you should not worry about the gold - you know how it worked in the past and it will work well in the future. Bad designs will be wiped out by evolutions or revolutions, and somebody will always lose something making a game better as a result

We all should worry about making the game better and not about personal conquest or gains. The damage to Spain is irreparable but can be partially diminished.

PS. Remember that we only promised xp/rank to be safe forever. We will keep that promise. 

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/10381-starting-locations-harbor-time-windows-and-map-reset/#entry184822

Map, spawns and politics are in the mid stage of development and are not without the problems and potential gaps in design. 

A pvp oriented group of French captain can sail to Louisiana and expand from there operating from french ports on the other side of florida and from Key West having a lot of PVP with USA, Pirates and Spanish.

Also remember that we only promised no wipes for XP/Rank only. Ports and other things might get reset during early access if significant changes will require it.

• Like 1

I thought about the small/large battle as a sort of answer to the query, but in deeper thinking of it traders are almost pointless, a basic cutter can carry next to nothing in hold space, sure you can sell the boat but for a measly amount. the PVP aspects of large & small battles take too long. I can join a small battle we can outnumber the enemy and they'll just run in the battle even if they're in a cutter because of their internet pride. It's not a major issue I'll say, but it needs to be addressed and have some light shone on it.

When I mentioned traders, I meant capping them.. You can easily cap any kind of trader in the basic free Cutter, it's not rocket science. You get a ship you can sell (or use), some goods (if you're lucky you can get very valuable cargo sometimes, seen as many as 5 crafting notes drop once), upgrades even, etc.

Small battles take 20-30 min on average.. Yeah I've seen them drag out to the full timer but that's super rare. You can easily make 10k+ in a basic Cutter doing these.

Again a non issue....

Your thinking only about missions. Which are just a tiny possibility of all the things in this game.

Step 1 get basic cutter

Step 2 cap trader cutter or trader Lynx

Step 3 sail ship and cargo to port and sell both.

Step 4 rinse and repeat till desired wealth

Step 5 buy the ship you want..

One Traders cutter loaded with compass wood can yield 20k gold in 15 min effort. Odds are you will be sailing a level appropriate ship by the end of day 1 after any wipe. Like Brucy said above, this is a non-issue.

I ran into this issue when I started my PvP character.

I thought the progression being shared across all servers was awesome... until I realized that being in a Basic Cutter, with no money and 4 pounder cannons bought at K-Mart as a Danish-Norwegian Kaptajn getting missions to find and sink Renommee's, Surprises or often a pair of ships like NavyBrig + Mercury, is not going to work out very well.

Now I am thinking we should be able to still get the lower rank missions even though we have technically "out ranked" them. With a limit of max 3 mission orders at any given time then most will simply go with the missions for same rank or one higher anyways. It's really a waste of time to do missions for 50xp to sink a Privateer when you are in a Reno or Surprise (or even bigger).

For now though the solution is to capture my way up to bigger ships.

• Like 1

Well now crafting and xp are steam account linked its fairly obvious they wont be killing that off any time soon, its just a case of gold grinding yourself back up, for me the more disturbing part of a wipe will be the inevitable re-acquisition of blueprints, but then with the proposed changes to blueprint unlock chance that should be a whole lot less hassle to regain those. I'm fairly sure they announced that unless something drastic happens they wont be doing any hard wipes, which to be honest I am really happy about because nothing kills this game quicker than hard wipe news.

• Like 1

Or they could allow us to chose any level missions instead of limiting to 1 level over and below.

Or maybe one level abouve to any previous level. The gold could be made to be 1000 per level for the mission to be fair. Or perhapsa different increment, but something along that line.

Edited by Admiral 8Q

Or they could allow us to chose any level missions instead of limiting to 1 level over and below.

Or maybe one level abouve to any previous level. The gold could be made to be 1000 per level for the mission to be fair. Or perhapsa different increment, but something along that line.

There isnt really a gold problem with missions, you get far more from doing the damage of the higher missions anyway so the offset risk from wrecking cutters in a frigate is kind of redundant as you are better off wrecking other frigates or brigs.