Game-Labs Forum

Weathering... Ships are too perfect...

The one thing I will say is that a ship would have to be in really shabby condition to be noticable beyond 100-150 meters distance. No in service active combat vessels would be left in such a condition. I like the idea, and support some grime and wear to these ships, I just don't wanna see this: 

black_beards_pirate_ship_by_black_wolf_0

much less this: 

ecd5ba3188cd7b8a37f0530c7530ff57.jpg

Edited by theprof739

Going to have to side with theprof739 on this one. Back in the day the ships would have been kept seaworthy at all cost. Everyone's lives on-board depended on it. At a distance it would not matter the the Prof said. I also agree with some weathering if you have been away from say a place that you have a warehouse for instance for some time.

I think this weird idea that some people have that in the past everything was dirty and grimy is really silly. People back in the day were actually pretty obsessed with keeping things clean and neat, because everything was a heck of a lot more expensive then. Of course they didn't have much of an idea about how hygiene works because they didn't understand germs, but when it came to cleaning and maintaining equipment they didn't let much slide.

Personally I'm really hoping they will add some kind of customization option to the various ships in the game, so that you can have a unique looking ship with its own paintjob and figurehead and so on. All the cosmetic elements of a ship should be exchangeable IMO. When you can alter the paintjob they could very easily add a few skins that allow for more worn and neglected looking ships.

Edited by Aetrion

I'm going to get down-voted here a lot, but I do think what's more at issue is that the models themselves are not that good.  I appreciate limited resources/time/etc. it takes to model the ships.  Coming from racing simulators and flight simulators etc. the ships in the game are not really high-level simulator art.  They're decent ship models, but they could use a lot of work to become more aesthetically legitimate.  I do think some weathering would be nice, but revamping the models would be even better.

That's a mystical issue  :D :

Is a 5-dura ship one ship that resurrect four times, more shabby each time or five identical "new" ships that help to play more easily ?

I tend to incline towards the latter...  :)

However any ship could be a little more dirty (that's a cosmetic issue, thus a minor one).

• Like 1

A little bit of wheatering makes the ships more used and imo more beautiful.

As now they look like they had a fresh coat of paint, nothing wrong with that but i preferred wheatered.

But the decks look way to clean, and the underwater part of the hull aswel put on some growt like barnicles and seaweed just below the waterline.

It gives a less "model ship" look and more real life matured ship that has floating in sea water and faced some sun and heavy weather look and more immersive look!

And with Copper plating selected, and i know this not a mall thing to do and i don't know if it is even possible to do?

But show some copper plating on the hull? Again with greenish corroding weatered on the waterline?

But less cleaner, more beautifuller imo.

Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck

She was launched in 1797 and prior to going into dry dock last year was the only US ship still in active service to have sank an enemy vessel. Also believe she was the oldest active navy ship still sailing in the world. Doesn't look all that "weathered" to me :P

uss-constitution.jpg

090704-N-1928O-022.jpguss-constitution-920-66.jpg?quality=94&s