Game-Labs Forum

What thinking the Devs about a good Sea Navigation?

Hanver

• 2 weeks later...

They would have to give us tools to fix or postion or offercers that could fix or postion with a built in margen for error... as for fixing or postion, the stars and constatlations look like there about where they should be.  Tools we would need, would be sextents, a tool to give us local time or let us find it and a clock to track refrince time, also a book of tables for the postions of the sun and moon as well as the phase of the moon, and better land marks on the charts.  we would also need charting tools. compase deviders scailes, rullers proteacter

In livestream Admin says that a compass tool should be added to make it easier to plot accurate courses on the map. That's all they've said recently. They want players to feel lost occasionally and make an effort to navigate.

Beyond that, you just have the usual forum carebears who want an automatic map marker, with varying levels of accuracy.

Meanwhile more history-minded people call for a sextant that would give you latitude at noon only.

I would be fine with option #2 in theory, but think it would be too effective since the ships in the game steer a perfectly straight course with no leeway or currents, and because visible range is exaggerated. So a sextant could provide excessive advantages to the player while also requiring dev time for something that isn't a priority. Current navigation methods are far from authentic, but IMHO the outcomes are in the sweet spot.

• Like 2

Heres the thing, even with a navagater he should give a constent position fix with a margen of error, it should be... you where about here at  noon.   and you have to wait 12 hourse for your next ovservation fix, and only in clear weather.   but you need tools that would let you dr your posstion... I would actually like an option to compare my fix with my master. he could catch an error I made, or I could catch one he made... but I dont one a cirical that fallows you around saying you are about here.... more ats of out last fix, we were about here.

As Maturin said, the devs want the players to really feel the vastness of the sea, to lose sight of lands easily, and to feel lost when it arrives. That's what came out from various discussions with them. So, beside a couple basic tools on map, don't expect too much about navigation.

Stars primarily, but even just a position on the map, of varying size and/or accuracy, based upon the purchase/quality of instruments such as davis quadrant, astrolabe, sextant, wind-up watch or just a fancy compass. How about a quality navigator as a hired crew officer?

In livestream Admin says that a compass tool should be added to make it easier to plot accurate courses on the map. That's all they've said recently. They want players to feel lost occasionally and make an effort to navigate.

Beyond that, you just have the usual forum carebears who want an automatic map marker, with varying levels of accuracy.

Meanwhile more history-minded people call for a sextant that would give you latitude at noon only.

I would be fine with option #2 in theory, but think it would be too effective since the ships in the game steer a perfectly straight course with no leeway or currents, and because visible range is exaggerated. So a sextant could provide excessive advantages to the player while also requiring dev time for something that isn't a priority. Current navigation methods are far from authentic, but IMHO the outcomes are in the sweet spot.

I have yet to compare a computer generated compass to the Naval Action compass, but from what I can tell by sight, some of the tick marks are slightly off.  If I remember right, when you blow up the compass, there are a couple of ticks that are skewed a tiny bit.  Couple that with how the current compass doesn't give 360 degrees but 24 ticks of 15 degrees each, a general measure of error starts to kick in. 

For example, NE, SE, SW, NW, are not exactly indicated where the 60, 135, 225 and 315 are exactly.  N E S W are not exactly indicated either but they are a lot easier to determine.  And if the math indicates you need to go 62 degrees for an hour to hit where you want to go exactly, where is 62 degrees?

When you are traveling in game, this isn't exactly apparent, but if you have certain outside tools, the errors become visual as your trip progresses. 

I think this is good.  I shouldn't be able to plot a course from where I am and hit exactly where I want to go, and by that I mean perfectly, to the exact f11 coordinate.  If we had a perfect compass with 360 tick marks, we could do that.

Personally I like the idea that once or twice an in game day (which is what, like 30 minutes long), you could be given a pair of coordinates (much like if you use f11) and then you have to look at the in game map (which will have a grid on it, much like some of the excellent community maps). You mark that spot on your map, and can use your protractor and pen tools to make a line for your current heading. the other map tools would be a compass rose and the ability to see your current compass while in map view.  Maybe with officers the coordinates you get will be better (or worse) and lead to more or less accurate positioning. I think they above suitable simulates the navigation experience while still making it something that has an element of skill to it. The captains of the 18th century didn't personally aim and firing their guns or set their sails, but they did consult their charts and plot courses. 

• Like 1

1 to 360           So    N = 360    or 60 min 

S = 180     or 30 min

E = 90       or 15 min

W = 270    or 45 min

62 deg =     11 minute  or NE

I hope im right.

U can sail in straight line, but as soon as u make course change u entering a zone of unknown location with unknown destination. :)              

NE is 60 degrees.  On our compass, we only have 0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120, 135, 150, 165, 180, 195, 210, 225, 240, 255, 270, 285, 300, 315, 330, 345, 360.  Also, 0, 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270 and 315 are poorly distinguished.  I used to think this was a problem.  I no longer think so and think it builds in a much needed natural degree of error.

Let's take another example, because perhaps 2 degrees doesn't show it well enough.

From Wilmington, NC, USA to Island Harbor, Anguillia in the Lesser Antiles, the distance is 2500 Naval Action Nautical Miles (2500km) and the bearing is 137.  Let's say I am 5 degrees off of this course because I can't quite see where 137 is and I am pointing too far south, I am actually going 142 degrees.  At 2400 Naval Action Nautical Miles (2400km), I will hit Christiansted, St. Croix, the Danish Capital.  The distance between the two is 230 NANM, which is at least 10 minutes of sailing time with favorable wind.  If it is time sensitive, I might not get there in time.  If I am at war with the Danes, I might get ganked.  Of course, for short ranges this doesn't matter.  You really only see it on a long journey, such as the one below, which would be almost 3 hours in a Lynx.  If I am pointing 142 degrees, I will get there about 5-10 minutes later if the wind is favorable, and worse if the wind is against me.

ok6UoDl.png