Game-Labs Forum

Livineater

TommyShelby

Using Team Speak is poor form then.  Or, lets say, a guild leader is given ambassador status to a group's forums for community building reasons.  This guild leader has more access than they should and uses it to view the private forums and gain intelligence.  Is that poor form?   (true story)

I'd say no to both accounts, and they are both basically on the same level as stream sniping.

I agree with the latter, but not the former. I'm all for historically accurate communications over TS and chat, but no-one agrees with me there :P 

Raatha, sure, you can't prove it and I see your point. As I said, don't try and ban something you can't regulate - but don't encourage it.

If a streamer doesn't want to be sniped, it's on them to protect themselves.  

Ultimately this is the point.... protect yourself. 

You could claim that all is fair in love and war! You could also claim that for centuries enemies have used all methods to gain intelligence.... some are just adapting to the environment. In this game we know of alt nation scouts, guild forum spies and turncoats. We now hear of Streamsniping and i'm sure they'll be something new down the road!

Sadly streaming though it can promote the game, it can also give away your position, ship loadouts and playing style. Its upto the streamer whether they are happy to take that risk!

• Like 2

i don't understand why livineater is making such a fuss over the stream-sniping after all it was me getting stream-sniped and i wasn't to bothered about like i said to him and to Tommy in my stream. i get there is always going to be some risk in streaming but in a game with a map as big as this i doubt it will happen as often as it does in other games. i see no point in a delay that will take away the interaction with the viewers the one thing i do instead is i don't broadcast my teamspeak over my stream they only here my voice they will here my ask for back up but they will never no how far away or how many is coming. as for livineater get pinned by Tommy and chutler it sucks but that kinda thing happens in any pvp game something you just got to deal with if you don't agitate them in chat they will leave you alone once they had there fun if you keep mouthing off at them in chat there going to carry on doing it because its more fun for them. 

• Like 3

we cant regulate it but seriously who could be that lame to go on a stream to go attack a player, what does it achieve??? Surely people are better then that, test the game mechanics not use outside programs to elevate urself in game, its an out of game exploit just like the other ingame exploits which has seen accounts reset, like i said we cant regulate it but it is frowned upon by most of the community and i hope those using it get whats coming to them.

• Like 1

Its a tricky subject and stream sniping happens a lot.

Some streamers turn this into entertainment for their viewers.

Other streamers implement delay avoiding such events happening. 

We don't have an official position on this and we doubt we will have it. But...

We as a community can support streamers by not doing stream sniping, or better by helping them find a group to sail with and help them provide better entertainment for everyone. (especially helping them to sink stream snipers)

• Like 3

you do know you can move the camera ...yes?

yea.. do you know how that makes it more diffecult to cover it up real-time?

Jeez, this reply is the very point goodblue was making. It nearly impossible to fully hide all the port names/indications of where you are. Besides, island shape often tells me more than the actual city name, so that argument of yours is completely unrealistic.

That being said, raatha gave the only answer this topic needs to have:

If a streamer doesn't want to be sniped, it's on them to protect themselves.

I find it interesting that people are pointing fingers at the streamsniper, not realizing that if you broadcast you name+location allover that it will attract people(what do you expect there to happen??).

yet the streamer himself actually replied with: 'i understand the risks involved', so..., what is all the fuss about??

seriously,

Edited by SteelSandwich
  • Like 1