Game-Labs Forum

World Map Information

@admin could you guys add statistics to world map? 

-Players Visited port in last hour

-Active Clan members and what port

-Active Friendly players and what ports

-Players sunk around X port in last hour

-Active players Docked in Port

-Active players in the Region

Would be much appreciated and easier to see where action is. 

Edited by H2O
  • Like 4

@H2O

Like this sort of idea, a lot. The majority of this information could be dumped into the static API. Then refreshed every maintenance update rather than LIVE.

Activity in and around PORTs I’d love to see even pay for via a mechanic. Before my time someone was able to produce a web page with this info see @Jeheil YouTube lists. The API no longer supplies this data I think.

Before the merge @monk33y and @qw569 both put a huge effort in for the [PvP EU] server regarding stats with PORTs, Clans and financials. @qw569 was I believe able to produce active kill areas. Again, this would be a great feature for the future.

Probably guess the priority now is the final sail mechanic, UI, tutorial and Localization of the game before anything else. But please keep pushing it…

Norfolk.

• Like 2

Let me preamble this by firstly saying i think a  lot of these suggestions take away any mystery and sense of adventure. I am of course assuming that the developers have designed their servers for 1000's of concurrent players are not just the 600-700 odd that are now currently playing. Hence, when i want action (like when the alpha launched and we had 2200 users) it was never hard to find, and you also never knew who was waiting around that headland or in the cove up the coast. I'm an old man and remember the halcyon days of puzzling over games and the frustration of being forced to solve the problem, not just google the answer.  I do love the maps  that people have created and I have looked over the spreadsheet containing port and taxes information and the effort and talent that has gone in to creating them is astounding. This isn't meant in any way to detract from the efforts and works of those creators...

But where is your sense of adventure, of exploring the unknown, Be it seeking out towns you've never visited before to see what they sell cheap or finding and capturing traders who have done just that. I think this removes the want to explore, and the sense of exploration is already kinda diminished in the OW because there are no rewards our there. No buried treasure, no secret hamlets willing to trade their gold for guns etc etc... 

Now with that all said there is still need for some map information... Rumours between captains, towns and the folks of the Caribbean would be collected and recorded by intelligence agencies and savvy pirates alike. But information would be vague, old or just plain inaccurate. So in place of definite information like what has been suggested, i would put forward these options:

-Players Visited port in last hour - Total Active players per region/island, giving a vague indication of how busy the shipping lanes/sea roads are.

-Active Clan members and what port - A clan browser, public clans can advertise and information on them, their holdings and their members are available to all

-Active Friendly players and what ports - I would say that your group chat or direct chat solves this problem.

-Players sunk around X port in last hour - Incorporated into point one, I would say remove the Clerk who reports player deaths and replace with hotspots or regional information.

-Active players Docked in Port - Absolutely agree, you should be able to count the sails in port.

-Active players in the Region - agreed

Regards,

Crosbie

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

Let me preamble this by firstly saying i think a  lot of these suggestions take away any mystery and sense of adventure. I am of course assuming that the developers have designed their servers for 1000's of concurrent players are not just the 600-700 odd that are now currently playing. Hence, when i want action (like when the alpha launched and we had 2200 users) it was never hard to find, and you also never knew who was waiting around that headland or in the cove up the coast. I'm an old man and remember the halcyon days of puzzling over games and the frustration of being forced to solve the problem, not just google the answer.  I do love the maps  that people have created and I have looked over the spreadsheet containing port and taxes information and the effort and talent that has gone in to creating them is astounding. This isn't meant in any way to detract from the efforts and works of those creators...

But where is your sense of adventure, of exploring the unknown, Be it seeking out towns you've never visited before to see what they sell cheap or finding and capturing traders who have done just that. I think this removes the want to explore, and the sense of exploration is already kinda diminished in the OW because there are no rewards our there. No buried treasure, no secret hamlets willing to trade their gold for guns etc etc... 

Now with that all said there is still need for some map information... Rumours between captains, towns and the folks of the Caribbean would be collected and recorded by intelligence agencies and savvy pirates alike. But information would be vague, old or just plain inaccurate. So in place of definite information like what has been suggested, i would put forward these options:

-Players Visited port in last hour - Total Active players per region/island, giving a vague indication of how busy the shipping lanes/sea roads are.

-Active Clan members and what port - A clan browser, public clans can advertise and information on them, their holdings and their members are available to all

-Active Friendly players and what ports - I would say that your group chat or direct chat solves this problem.

-Players sunk around X port in last hour - Incorporated into point one, I would say remove the Clerk who reports player deaths and replace with hotspots or regional information.

-Active players Docked in Port - Absolutely agree, you should be able to count the sails in port.

-Active players in the Region - agreed

Regards,

Crosbie

I am sorry , but world is too big and empty and there is nothing to explore. Exploration as a career is non existent. You want pvp exploration? Check map statistics and set sail, you might get lucky. Instead of wasting precious time sailing looking for someone to fight or to rob why not let statistics help you plan your mission today. 

I agree with most of your thoughts. I would also suggest clan advertisement window. Clan will pay daily fee to list their poster in X ports and especially in those starting ones, but that is another topic. 

Edited by H2O

The world is only too big with 700 players. With 2000+ it isn't. The game is not economically viable if it remains with only 700 concurrent players . And like i said i'm sure they're developing with more in mind.  I took a look at the steam stats pages just now to see how it was fairing. I really do hope this is the start of another upwards trend.

Anyway, i do agree with you, and i think my suggestions would still give you information per region opposed to giving you too accurate (port) information. I think it would also encourage community play a bit more, benefiting people joining up  etc etc.

But man what i'd give for the option for my mates and I to just set sail into the unknown, say down by the mexican coastline (never been there in 150 hours play, rarely left the Bahama's Florida/Haiti area)  and find hidden treasures and sunken wrecks and other cool stuff. 

///of course it is a PvP server so maybe you're right...

Gav

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

On a similar note, it would be nice to be able to track what your ship has done over it's liefetime, for example:

Total distance sailed

Ships sunk/Captured

Damage Dealt/taken over the lifetime of the ship

I'll admit it wouldn't be a game making/breaking feature so therefor not exactly important but I think I would be a nice thing to have

(Apologies to the original poster for hijacking the thread, it just seemed related to their suggestion)

Edited by NethrosDefectus

21 hours ago, Gav said:

The world is only too big with 700 players. With 2000+ it isn't. The game is not economically viable if it remains with only 700 concurrent players . And like i said i'm sure they're developing with more in mind.  I took a look at the steam stats pages just now to see how it was fairing. I really do hope this is the start of another upwards trend.

Anyway, i do agree with you, and i think my suggestions would still give you information per region opposed to giving you too accurate (port) information. I think it would also encourage community play a bit more, benefiting people joining up  etc etc.

But man what i'd give for the option for my mates and I to just set sail into the unknown, say down by the mexican coastline (never been there in 150 hours play, rarely left the Bahama's Florida/Haiti area)  and find hidden treasures and sunken wrecks and other cool stuff. 

///of course it is a PvP server so maybe you're right...

Gav

Sail to the Pacific if you want to do some exploring...  Its fun.  Everyone should do it at least once....

37 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Sail to the Pacific if you want to do some exploring...  Its fun.  Everyone should do it at least once....

my [XO] did it @drufuskent a brilliant laugh. I made him sail up the coast line to Panama to see if the dev's had started to build out the Pacific. Alias to no avail, even was light on fish...!!! 

• Like 1