Game-Labs Forum

I like it as it is - perk choices matters. Otherwise we get a situation like pre-wipe where everyone basically reset the perks according to shiptype, mission type (PvP, PvE or PB) and we'd might as well forego with the perks all together then.

2 hours ago, Bearwall said:

I like it as it is - perk choices matters. Otherwise we get a situation like pre-wipe where everyone basically reset the perks according to shiptype, mission type (PvP, PvE or PB) and we'd might as well forego with the perks all together then.

I like the concept but they need to separate the Combat Perks which off your rank and the Crafting Perks which should go off your crafting level.  This way a solo/casual player that is Rear Admiral can have all 10 Combat points.   While a level 50 crafter can have 10 crafting points.  You might have a Rank 10 char with all combat, but he's only 25 in crafting so he only has 5 crafting points.  The way to do it is give out one crafting perk point for every 5 levels of crafting. I think Combat perks needs to go back to one perk point for every level.  Now you can get all 10 by time your half ranked up.  So folks that don't care about doing big ships can be maxed out in perks and not even mid level.

This is where the line should be drawn, in my opinion. We never had this focused career evolutions by player choice.

In truth the ship is the character, not the captain :)

The ability to switch at will makes for poor careers and simply pushes for do-it-all.

On a credible point of view,  any pointers to a navy war officer,  that was a naval architect or shipyards master ?

11 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

:) outside NA timeframe, so only half a cookie.

Sir William Symonds 24 September 1782

On 8/8/2017 at 2:53 PM, The Red Duke said:

can be found in all 1670 - 1820 Naval Action time frame.

Does the cookie come with chocolate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrik_Henrik_af_Chapman :P

Anyway, back to topic.

I like having an officer on board. Albeit the mechanic was open to abuse it did give me something to level up as Rear Admiral, plus a finite bonus as the officer went down with his last life.

Left or right, a player should have choices to change his style over time. The cost of such a choice is purely a subjective one as nobody is impeded. So it boils down to a Combat Mark sink.

I'm not even sure one is needed on perk reset.

15 hours ago, BallsOfSteel said:

Example moving a fleet but you dont want it all the time.

If this is why perk reset is used say 75%+ of the time, then we may need to take a look at fleet perk itself. Why not tie that to rank?

(Fleet itself should not become useful or impeding in anyway, but rather a means to transport (captured) ships.)

13 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I like the concept but they need to separate the Combat Perks which off your rank and the Crafting Perks which should go off your crafting level.  This way a solo/casual player that is Rear Admiral can have all 10 Combat points.   While a level 50 crafter can have 10 crafting points.  You might have a Rank 10 char with all combat, but he's only 25 in crafting so he only has 5 crafting points.  The way to do it is give out one crafting perk point for every 5 levels of crafting. I think Combat perks needs to go back to one perk point for every level.  Now you can get all 10 by time your half ranked up.  So folks that don't care about doing big ships can be maxed out in perks and not even mid level.

I like this modified suggestion, but would prefer to see each reset paired with a cooldown period, so it's not used to recreate the character like flipping a switch, like the old system.

20 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

I like this modified suggestion, but would prefer to see each reset paired with a cooldown period, so it's not used to recreate the character like flipping a switch, like the old system.

You can have combat only chars that never touch crafting in a day of their lives, or you can have crafters that all they do.   Or you can have guys like I was before the patch. I had a mix of combat and crafting perks.  Since my two main are maxed out they should be jack of all.  While my third char which was my Dane pre-patch is only Flag Capt/Demon level, but is maxed out crafter.  All her points go into crafting.  This should be this way where you have to have alts.  A solo player that maxed out both rank should be a master of combat arms and of crafting trade not have to pick on or the other.  By making some pick than you are setting up class sytem and sandbox's aren't suppose to have classes.  Keep the reset though for one or the other.  Same cost but you peek while looking at that group which to reset.  Cause some times you might run a mortar brig set up and the next you want to have heavy RvR set up and than the next light hisp.  That when you have to reset them.  Crafter not so much as you can pretty much get all the main ones by 10 points.  Though you might have to pick and choise between some like the cargo perk and other things.  I have one combat perk on that char and I'm about to hand that honor off to a baby pirate  I bought when we had the steam sale.   Which by the way that baby pirate at rank 2 has gotten more kills than all my chars this month....sneaky little bastard been taking some folks...never know who behind that char after all.