Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Soldier

The Artillerist's Guide to Ultimate General: Civil War

7 hours ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

I have 16 gun batteries for tankiness reasons. Does this make sense? How high is the dropoff in damage output?

The damage drop off when I tried 16 gun batteries is considerable.  Something like 40%.  Not worth it in my eyes.

• Like 1

If your gun batteries are reliably taking damage at all, you're probably doing something wrong/strange. I would only throw cheapo Howitzers or 6pdrs away like that with a rookie brigade (there's an idea, wither them away on purpose on point blank duty with bad cannons). Even then it's generally possible to position even your point blank artillery behind the infantry in a way to shield them even from splash/chip damage from the enemy artillery.

On 9/27/2017 at 11:14 AM, Hitorishizuka said:

If your gun batteries are reliably taking damage at all, you're probably doing something wrong/strange. I would only throw cheapo Howitzers or 6pdrs away like that with a rookie brigade (there's an idea, wither them away on purpose on point blank duty with bad cannons). Even then it's generally possible to position even your point blank artillery behind the infantry in a way to shield them even from splash/chip damage from the enemy artillery.

That is EXACTLY how I stripe up green artillery brigades. Give them cheap FREE guns, park them right behind the line, and reevaluate them at the end of the battle. 

If they gain a stripe, add logistics, and give them real cannon, and add them to the Artillery Park. Form a new brigade of green artillerists and give them the 6 pounders. Repeat as needed. 

My cannons mostly take losses because I have them close behind my lines, and I am (at least in offensive battles) almost constantly advancing. I am a huge fan of human wave in this game, supported by the additional speed and stamina through general and unit skill.

12 minutes ago, Hjalfnar_Feuerwolf said:

My cannons mostly take losses because I have them close behind my lines, and I am (at least in offensive battles) almost constantly advancing. I am a huge fan of human wave in this game, supported by the additional speed and stamina through general and unit skill.

Is your commanders name "Freidrich D. Grosse" by any chance? 

All I see is a big echelon checkerboard now. 

Personally, i try to have single artillery unit for infantry division, and usually go with 3-4guns per 1000 men in division.. so if I have 3 brigades with 1500 men, then i have artillery battery with 12-18 guns to support them, preferably 12lber Napoleons (if possible). I also keep 2 batteries of Rifles in last "division", which kinda supplements the role of Corps reserve, where i also have some cavalry or skirmishers. This way, i have my divisional artillery with my infantry, and rifled guns in the back ready to support my attacks from long range.

• Like 1

Is there any data about the efficiency of cannon brigades with the latest/final build of the game? Does a 24-gun brigade still loses 40% of it's efficiency, even with a high-enough commander? Or is this bug fixed? I know that the supply-trait is still bugged, but I do not know about this. Anyone?

Also... if I bring in  10,000 supply and I have one single 24-gun brigade, will the supply run out twice as fast as when I bring one single 12-gun brigade? It's difficult to test, so I thought I better ask here before I try to test this somehow.

Edited by Yogol

Artillery brigades with more than 12 guns still suffer large losses in killing power.

Supply traits are probably still bugged.

24-gun batteries will eat up twice as much supply as a 12-gun battery despite being much less effective.

One additional possible layer for artillery to consider is the fact that artillery rate of fire was in reality not influenced by technical limitation of the gun itself, but was influenced by amount of available ammo... they would not fire at maximum possible rate of fire at long range.. instead, they would reduce rate of fire significantly, so their ammo supply would be sufficient for them, for entire battle (at Lutzen 1813, french artillery fired for 9 hours, with rate of fire 1 shot every 3 minutes. at same battle, French guard battery fired for 2 hours, with rate of fire of 1 shot per 90 seconds)

Maximum rate of fire would be usually used only in emergencies, when artillery had to fire against enemy that is closing in on their positions. is such situation, rate of fire could be increased to 2-8 rounds per minute (based on gun type)

Anyway, i guess such thing complicates the artillery setup for games quite a lot, especially with the supply system implemented... artillery firing with reduced rate of fire would run through own ammo a lot slower, therefore would not need to be resupplied that fast, but of course, its effect on target would be reduced as well...  yet in long range gunnery, effect on target was minimal anyway, therefore it made no sense wasting ammo in rapid fire.

Maybe something Devs could think about for artillery in the future - make rate of fire variable based on distance to target - closer it is, faster artillery reloads, up to its construction speed..

A ell-laid fire of shot or shell is the most effective use of ammunition and more accurate. The barrel is kept cooler, well-swabbed, fused etc.  

Whereas canister (case) should get faster the nearer a dangerous target. When at risk from small arms fire of formed troops, stepping up rolling fire by the battery to attack the infantry's nerves and distract and disorganize.   

Be careful, do not confuse two different ammunitions as one or the same. Canister did not require an internal charge as Case did.

There are limits when it is appropriate to use one or the other.  And while there are stories  (reports,) out there where in desperate situations, fusing were removed from Case, there are inherent danger in doing so. 

Edited by A. P. Hill