Game-Labs Forum

Trying to catch up, is Niagara buyable?

Hi there,

Just started a week ago and going through ships, trying to plan what I would like, goal setting and such. I have a question about the Niagara, is this ship available to all players? I've read it was a gift to some but I unfortunately started like a day after this was given. It also read as if a blueprint was also provided, does this mean the ship is for sale as people can build them? Just curious which ships to cross off my list as "never going to sail".

Thanks

It is not a popular one, this I know BUT give her some love and learn how she likes to do things and she will repay in prized traders worth twice her worth.

I do like her a lot. It is like a mammoth privateer. Runs low, runs fast, rolls quick, turns and tumbles nicely. Sails close to wind better than the Snow counterpart. It is sort of fragile but it will catch any trader you see. They cannot run away.

Seen a few being sold in the Dutch territories from 80k and up.

Niagara will be available for all to buy and craft at some point in the future, I imagine probably in the near future. It's a nice ship at the moment since they buffed it, but you will do fine without it for now, it's not a necessity.

Niagara will be available for all to buy and craft at some point in the future, I imagine probably in the near future. It's a nice ship at the moment since they buffed it, but you will do fine without it for now, it's not a necessity.

I agree, was just asking. I like options and collecting and such and didn't want to spend time driving around looking for one if it isn't available to me is all.

Thanks for the input.

It is not a popular one, this I know BUT give her some love and learn how she likes to do things and she will repay in prized traders worth twice her worth.

I do like her a lot. It is like a mammoth privateer. Runs low, runs fast, rolls quick, turns and tumbles nicely. Sails close to wind better than the Snow counterpart. It is sort of fragile but it will catch any trader you see. They cannot run away.

Seen a few being sold in the Dutch territories from 80k and up.

There was a patch that buffed the Niagara on the 28th.

I found an Exceptional quality Niagara for sale for 60.000 gold (this was at Christiansted on the US PvE server). The price seemed really cheap and I just had to get her. She came with speed upgrade built-in, 5 upgrade slots and 3 permanent slots. Going to put in speed, rudder and reload upgrades on her and see how she handles :) Only got to do one battle with her last night, but going from 6 pdr cannons on Snow to 9 pdrs on Niagara felt nice. And it shoots Volkswagen Beetles out of her arse with those 32pdr carronades!

Really like how low in the water she sits, which should make her a tougher target, especially at range. Only drawback I could see so far is lack of bow chasers, but if she can fly downwind then it won't be an issue since I can catch up without having to tear sails like I have to with the Snow.

Looking forward to more sailing on the Niagara :)

I agree, was just asking. I like options and collecting and such and didn't want to spend time driving around looking for one if it isn't available to me is all.

Thanks for the input.

You can buy em off players quite a few are selling them.

I prefer the snow myself but I was playing mine before the buff when it was fairly painful for an unexperienced person with manual sails to be using her. I did like it, I just love the followers on the snow :P

The Niagara's exceptional speed combined with 9lb cannons can be rather devastating to any trade ships that get in range.  It is a fantastic interceptor, and I really enjoy sailing it.  I'm kinda surprised about some of the hate it received on the forums, but I never sailed it before it was buffed.  So I've only had positive experiences with it.  Although, it still does seem kinda easy to tip over if contract is made in certain spots.

I found an Exceptional quality Niagara for sale for 60.000 gold (this was at Christiansted on the US PvE server). The price seemed really cheap and I just had to get her.

Nice find sir. 

It's possible that some buffing has improved it, but early on many players who tried to take it into combat noted immediately how frail it was. It just couldn't take a lot of damage at all. The description "glass cannon" got thrown around a lot when players first tried it out.

But I agree with what others have said, its good at intercepting virtually unarmed traders. It has the speed/maneuverability to overcome them, it has the firepower to wreck their sails/kill crew, and it has enough crew to take any trader in a boarding action. If you limit it to that role and treat it like a specialty ship, you'll get your just rewards from it.

You cannot treat it as a standup warship for fighting other combat oriented vessels. You'll sink a lot of you do this.

Edited by Jon Allen

Admittedly I only got one fight with the Niagara last night, against a Privateer.

But I took minimal damage from his 6 pdr cannons. He got a few hits, but barely noticeable on my armor indicators. Also missed quite a few hits due to Niagara sitting low in the water.

One thing I did notice was the turn rate being way slower than the Snow I have. Then again, the Snow I have been using so far have Fine Optimized Rudder in permanent slot which does help out.

So far I only have basic upgrades on the Niagara, so will see how it handles once I get some speed and maneuverability upgrades for it.

IMO

Using manual the Niagara will be in position a bit faster than the snow even taking upgrades into account. The alignment of the guns though takes a bit longer give the length of the board.

Where the Snow is better at stern weave the Niagara is great for stern kiting.