Game-Labs Forum

Feedback on Combat Manual Sailing Guides

TheWalrus

Ahoy Captains,

It took me a lot of time, reading, and watching tutorials to grasp even the basics of manual sailing, and I wanted to do something for new players so that they may gain a better understanding in a more time-effective manner. To that end, I have employed my design skills into an easily read chart of sail positions to achieve tight, efficient turns in combat (configurations that are accessible to new players, though they will cost the player some speed and rudder authority), but I would love to have some feedback from more experienced players on how I can make these charts even more useful. Do you know of any better sailing configurations for tight turns? Are these charts navigable and intuitive? Let me know your thoughts so that I can improve these for all players to use! Thanks.

received_10104854247711152.jpeg
square-2-rigged-ship-sailing-chart.jpg

Edited by TheWalrus
  • Like 20

• 2 weeks later...

Nice chart. But I think you got it wrong in the Square rig chart one.Since the square rig ship cant put the back masts along/parallel to the hull like what you put at the North West position on left picture, North East position from the right picture (assume wind from North to South).

I use manual sails follow this video and I think this is have the correct position of the mast when you turn into the wind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Walrus,

Thanks for the hard work with the diagrams. I don't know if it is just me but I have not been able to manual sail any fore and aft mast vessel. I have tried all sail combinations and wind direction for both the pickle and privateer and with different sail combination and none cause either of the ships to change direction.

Has anyone else been able to manual sail pickles or privateer/lynx?

LA

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I do have a Cerberus now so I can test the square rig vessels, and I will watch the supplied videos and try to rework the square rig chart to be more accurate.

Lisa-Azra, I've noticed that the fore and aft rigged vessels aren't nearly as responsive to sail positions as the square rigs are, but that doesn't mean they aren't helping per say. What I have personally found is that you must turn with the rudder and the sail positions don't necessarily increase the rate of your turn (in fore and aft) but it does increase the tightness of your turn when you use these configurations.

You are indeed correct, Haibeo. When jibeing across the wind in a Square Rigged Ship, at closed haul (45 degrees from windward) the aft sail should flip toward the direction of your turn and the fore sail flipped against it. This will provide the fastest turn. I will update the chart tonight

Hey Neighbor, I live in Virginia Beach too. I am on Steam and you can check Bowzer74 if you think I'm some kind of Kook. Would like to get together and see if we can't become the baddest sea dog Pirates that ever roamed the sea. B)

I am no pirate! I fight for the King's Navy (Britain) on PvP2. I am apart of the Sons of Britain clan. If you are British as well, I would be happy to sail with you.

Edited by TheWalrus

• 1 month later...

nice guides, but for some reason my brain cant comprehend them and they seem upside down to me.  I just vertically flipped them in paint and they work better.  links or posts of the images with easy download access would be nice, so I dont have to screenshot from forums