Game-Labs Forum

This game could be so much more

Currently there are 4 different servers all basically serving the same purpose. Wouldn't it be more beneficial if something like this was done

Server 1)Hardcore-no xp from bots, no small battles, all xp gains made from pvp fights in ow and port captures.

Server 2)A duplicate of sea trials 1. You fight battles and you level up in ships (no open world here)

Server 3)Like server 1 but more for casuals (would be like eu pvp sever 1 currently)

Edited by Clinch

Currently there are 4 different servers all basically serving the same purpose. Wouldn't it be more beneficial if something like this was done

Server 1)Hardcore-no xp from bots, no small battles, all xp gains made from pvp fights in ow and port captures.

Server 2)A duplicate of sea trials 1. You fight battles and you level up in ships (no open world here)

Server 3)Like server 1 but more for casuals (would be like eu pvp sever 1 currently)

Not sure how that would make this game so much more...

Well, I think that a super hardcore server, in which XP is only earned from PVP may be difficult indeed. Since our present "leveling up" system requires some good grinding to get out of the lower tier ships, the players would have to be centralized close to one another to engage in battle. The OW map is so massive that I don't think this would be a good idea.

In addition, making a sea-trails esque system basically makes getting ships a lot easier. One thing that drives me personally is the prospect that my grinding and frequent hours spent will eventually lead to a satisfying reward- in my case, a purple Trincomalee! In sea trials, you can access these ships much much faster without dealing with an economy, hunting bots, traveling to mission sites, ect- hence, many players who don't like the more difficult OW system might simply sit in the sea trials setting. To add, OW already kind of does this; just that it involves upgrades, economy, travel and above all, a motive to keep yourself afloat other than that sinking means you can't participate in the rest of the engagement.

Well, I think that a super hardcore server, in which XP is only earned from PVP may be difficult indeed. Since our present "leveling up" system requires some good grinding to get out of the lower tier ships, the players would have to be centralized close to one another to engage in battle. The OW map is so massive that I don't think this would be a good idea.

I would probably agree. While I typically lean towards a "harder is better" mentality. The map is simply too large to restrict experience game in this way practically. These really sound more like gamemodes to me. I could see a sea trials type lobby being fun to test ship fittings and the like. But I don't think there needs to be a dedicated server for this style of play.

Really the multiple servers is just a means of managing the alpha testing player base at the moment. Eventually the servers that do exist are all going to be the same game, just multiple divisions of the player base. Therefore I don't think it makes too much sense to have different styles of servers now.

And you need 4 servers because this is how much people are interested in the game.

Start messing it up and we're back in 2h queues land.

Since our present "leveling up" system requires some good grinding to get out of the lower tier ships, the players would have to be centralized close to one another to engage in battle. The OW map is so massive that I don't think this would be a good idea.

Quite so.

Imagine the silliness of basic cutter drivers the world over being forced to congregate off Baracoa to participate in a massive unending scrum. Day by day the furball gradually grows in size as people graduate to brigs and Cerbs. Sounds really historical and immersive and hardcore, right?

This smacks me as an ideological position, not a serious proposal.

I don't see how everyone power leveling in small battles in their cutters makes any sense. Port battles are vs mortello towers. I find it quite boring tbh but I guess the community is good with it so whatever.