Game-Labs Forum

Impoved Defence around Mortimmer Town

Perhaps the solution is to limit a user name to a single nation, like PofBS. Of course, that wouldn't prevent people form making several accounts. I dunno. I'm just thinking out loud.

I don't know if it's still a thing. But it was told us that with EA that there will be only one character per account. 3 character are only for testing.

Edited by z4ys

Another solution, which I believe has been mentioned before, is to not allow players to pick "pirate" as a starting faction. If it's to be the game's "hard mode," then it makes sense to keep newbies away from the faction.

It's not like you can't become a pirate nearly immediately on creation, if you so wanted to, and simply having the required knowledge of, "To become a pirate, you need to attack your own nation or a neutral," SHOULD create a bar to entrance meaning that pirates are generally more aware of the consequences of choosing to be a pirate.

• Like 4

I just want some clarity....is it frowned upon sitting outside a nations capital and piling in on a battle versus NPC's? It goes on all the time outside MT and I'm not complaining to be clear...I just want to know because if it is ok I'm gonna go visit some capital zones. I know outside of these zones its obviously fair game.

Blackjack I think that is the issue that seems to be getting glossed over, blockading is fine, but joining on the side of an npc fight (to avoid the protection fleet) when new players are just trying to level up is silly. It needs some kind of game mechanic to prevent that, because it will only become more common with a higher population.

Edited by Bigvalco

Blackjack I think that is the issue that seems to be getting glossed over, blockading is fine, but joining on the side of an npc fight (to avoid the protection fleet) when new players are just trying to level up is silly. It needs some kind of game mechanic to prevent that, because it will only become more common with a higher population.

To play devil's advocate, admin has always stated that he wants the open world to feel dangerous, and be PvP-friendly. We do have missions now for new player grinding which other sovereigns cannot enter (from my understanding). Also, there is nothing stopping new players from leaving the capital area and grinding NPCs in unexpected places or shallow waters, where other nations are not likely to find them and join their instances.

I agree in principle that new players should be allowed to grind in a protected area or walled-off instance for their first few ranks. But there comes a point when players four or five ranks into the game, grinding right outside of a capital, which is right in the middle of a heavy PvP passage, maybe should be considered fair game.

I guess it just comes down to the discussion earlier in this thread about protection zones. I don't agree with new player protection zones around a capital that is in the middle of the map. It mixes higher level gameplay (blockading, PvP) with the new player experience, in a most unfortunate way.

Perhaps the capital should not be the same as your "starting port". What if every nation had a fairly remote starting port that is distant from central fighting areas? Nobody is around Mortimer town looking for players just starting out, they are looking for the bigger fish. Right now the US has a remote starting port for its new players, and that seems to work well enough.

• Like 1

I would also argue that Pirates should not have one capital, but instead three or four equal, uncapturable capitals.

The problem with Mortimer Town is that Pirates play heavily in and around it, leaving the rest of the map scarce of Piracy. It's ludicrous that just about the only faction the U.S. encounters is Pirate, and yet in the lesser Antilles there's scarcely a Pirate to be seen. I'd love to be able to get involved in international politics, but instead it's all Pirates, all the time, just because Mortimer Town is arbitrarily placed close to our areas of manifest destiny.

Piracy should be the scourge of the entire Caribbean, as it was historically. To accomplish this, there need to be pirate capitals spread around the map, and gameplay reasons to keep Pirates visiting each capital (perhaps their endgame RvR goal is to sink a certain amount of tonnage in each sector).

• Like 2

I was thinking of an idea the other day.

What if they couldn't actually capture ports permanently? Maybe they can raid/ pillage and get an increased number of resources/ loot from a port and it remains "pillaged" until server reset, then flips back to the original owner, but less resources now there. And they can create conquest flags from any free town, making them a constant threat all over the Caribbean.