Game-Labs Forum

Mid Summer Update

The screenshot looks really good. Anyway, i got a question about flags.

I'm not sure a ship can go faster than wind. So, if your ship get the wind from behind, the flasg may face the top of your ship... On some picture we see the waves coming from behind so i assume the wind come from behind too. And then the flags seems to be facing the wrong way  or i may be wrong?

The screenshot looks really good. Anyway, i got a question about flags.

I'm not sure a ship can go faster than wind. So, if your ship get the wind from behind, the flasg may face the top of your ship... On some picture we see the waves coming from behind so i assume the wind come from behind too. And then the flags seems to be facing the wrong way  or i may be wrong?

Points of sail on wiki

240px-Points_of_sail.svg.png

sure but exept the cutter not any ship get this kind of sails. Anhyway, i was speaking about flag, not about sails. It's easy to notice that the frigate get full wind and that is flag have to face the front of the ship.

It seems like the frigate is going upwind.

• 3 weeks later...

Great pics, indeed! :)

But the UV-mapping for the planking is a bit inaccurate, in my opinion, especially on the smaller ships like the schooner. The planks should follow the 'flow' of the wales and rails.

No biggie, but I thought I should mention it.

Great pics, indeed! :)

But the UV-mapping for the planking is a bit inaccurate, in my opinion, especially on the smaller ships like the schooner. The planks should follow the 'flow' of the wales and rails.

No biggie, but I thought I should mention it.

yes we will start fixing modeling problems once we finish combat testing and define the system for ship visual damage models

Ah, good to hear this will be worked on. I´ve done a couple of 3d sailing ship models myself and I know how time consuming it is to get the planking right.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I´ll follow this closely :)

Edit:

Almost forgot to ask, do you happen to know what the reference for the frigate model was? It looks like a cool mix of french and english (and maybe swedish?) designs, but I can´t really place it.

The beakhead bulkhead normally found on ships built before the 1750s is another interesting detail.

Ah, good to hear this will be worked on. I´ve done a couple of 3d sailing ship models myself and I know how time consuming it is to get the planking right.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I´ll follow this closely :)

Edit:

Almost forgot to ask, do you happen to know what the reference for the frigate model was? It looks like a cool mix of french and english (and maybe swedish?) designs, but I can´t really place it.

The beakhead bulkhead normally found on ships built before the 1750s is another interesting detail.

You have a good professional eye.

That ship is indeed a mix of several designs. We would love to talk to you on ship designs and national differences in private. I will write you soon.

*grins*

Frigates and other vessels post 1770 aren´t my forte (I prefer the period from 1700-1750, when sailing ships looked like floating bordellos :P) but I do know a thing or two about them. And I´d be very happy help with this ambitious project :)

While we´re at it, I just had a quick look at the promo pics again and there´s something about the rigging of the Bellona-class ship that´s not quite right. The mizzen topgallant sail is completely missing, as are the main top staysail and the main topgallant staysail. And the sail (would be a mizzen course) under the mizzen topsail shoudn´t be there at all.

I don´t have the Anatomy of the ship edition about the Bellona, but I suppose she had a mizzen yard and not a spanker/gaff like in the screenshot (that most probably depends on if it´s the Bellona at the time of her launch date or at some later point in her rather long career, though).

And the last of my nitpicking: the sprit topsail should be trapezoidal, not totally square like the spritsail.

Now I should get back to work...^^

• 2 weeks later...

These pics looks absolutely awsome, really good work. Makes me curious on what kind of specs that would be required to play this game at full detail though?

I am in a constant heavy fight with our art director. Fleet was fresh painted before Trafalgar (source http://www.amazon.com/Line-Upon-Wind-1793-1815-ebook/dp/B002AU7MVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375050474&sr=8-1&keywords=a+line+in+the+wind) and i want my ships nice, clean and taken care of. Our art director wants ships to be worn, a bit "rusty", sails dirty and with patches. 

i guess compromise can be found eventually. 

Since the ships will be partly customisable, why not include weather-worn options ?

Naturally ships became worn with time, but there was also alot made to maintain ships, careening for example.

As I see it this could add to the flavor of the game, either if you'll be able to field several ships, storing a ship could gradually polish it up (seeing it's in dock for repair and refit), or if a moneysink is needed in the game it could be something you pay for. Maybe a combination of both?

Thing is, careening etc was done to make sure ships performed as good as possible.

This would leave the player with the option of letting his ship wear down, at the cost of performance, or repair/refit/careen it at the cost of ingame currency.