Game-Labs Forum

Indefinate Battle Timers

Hey guys 

Bringing a new point to the party. The 50 minute battle timer needs to at the least be doubled - if not made indefinite.

Why? With higher skilled players the instance turns into a dance. Each player avoids exposing his precious sides. They hold their shot patiently and only fire when they can deal the most damage with the least risk. And so nearly every time I duel a skilled player the timer comes into effect. Either one guy decides to rush at the end - and gets rekd for it, or the guy losing gaps it when the timer expires - unless they are honourable.

This timer only gets more annoying when fleet battles occur. Like we found in Sea Trials, we had to throw skill out the window and bum rush at the end to have a winner. The same happens in OW. Yes there is a grace period of 30 mins but in that period both sides can leave whenever they like and when your 'life' is on the line a lot of people are tempted into bailing.

Just had a good battle against Eric Shun (Seaman Staines). He was in a bellona with longs on the bottom deck and nades on the top two, attacking 2 small bot frigates when i chanced upon his instance in my POS conni. Clearly his bel was as fast as my 2 perm mod conni so i was always worried about taking a full BS in the side. It took the entire timer to wear down his very good positioning and patience. (and one of the bot frigates when it was nearby).

It made me think that maybe this was happening to others. Can the timer please be lengthened?

PS. we let each other go after such a great fight.

• Like 4

It should be there simply because the servers cannot handle infinite battle instances.

What happens when the server has no instances left? You cannot open new battles. We had that in very very early testing ;)

If you cannot handle small PvP fights in 60 mins your just too cautious.

What I agree however is that big line of battles need more time than frigate skirmishes.

My suggestion:

Up the timer once the BR got over a certain number. 20-50 SoLs battering each other will need quite some time.

• Like 1

Going by the rareness of extra long battles i don't think an extra half hour or two will hurt that much. Remember battles don't ACTUALLY last indefinitely - with the entry timer and leave timer it's unlikely that battles will last more than 2hrs. Also there could (and should) be a rule that if no damage is given or taken in 15mins all protagonists are booted to prevent hiding in the instance.  

That would mean there won't need to be a BR cap on longer matches.

PS when fighting against a larger opponent caution is mandatory.

I wouldn't mind an extra 30 minutes especially now that the ships are harder to sink and there is more incentive to board. It would be a rare thing but nice when it is needed. Once all parties are captured or sunk you could have the instance auto-kick everyone after a few minutes to avoid people sitting there as well.

Our view was this

1 hour battle is around 3 days in Naval action time. 

If you have not been able to destroy the enemy in 3 days the battle is inconclusive. This happened in real life too. 

Good reasoning, I like it. Adds time pressure on the attacker.