Game-Labs Forum

Currently we win repair kits on an ad hoc basis. Each time we start a battle we have 2 repairs available. I cant guarantee winning repair kits so sometimes I pick a fight and run just to access repairs. I would suggest instead that repair kits are sold at port and each player can buy a certain number before setting out from port. After he has used them he has to go back to port. Whether this replaces the built in double repair at the start of each battle is debatable. Myself I would rather have say 4 repair kits available from the shop for each player and no re-charge of repairs on entering each battle. This would force an economy of repairs and probably be more realistic.

• Like 2

This is definitely a problem as I see it as well. I don't think inventing a new way to use repair kits will fix it though. Personally I'd prefer if repairs required resources; for example:

• You can buy extra spars, cloth, oakum, planks, etc. at port.1
  • The resources you have on board limits the amount of repairs you can do at sea.
  • When sailing on the open sea you can instantly repair your ship using these resources (and limited by them).2
  • When sailing in a battle instance you have to be on survival mode to repair, and the repairs take time.3

Spars should be hard to come by in large quantities, and all resources should be limited by ship size.

2 For example, you can only repair your sails if you have the sailcloth, only replace masts (preferably only minor masts, topmasts, etc.) if you have the spars, and only repair your hull if you have planks and oakum, etc.

Alternatively the system could be revamped entirely; something like this.

Edited by Dansk viking
  • Like 3

But if the crew is idle when there is not battle, they can make repairs and maintenance, is realistic. If the ship go at shore they can recolect repair materials. And I said slowly repairs in another post, but I forget to say this detail in my last post.

If you want more realistic, the ships repairs must take various months, replenish the crew, minimum two of weeks... etc

Crew replenish after battle is a gameplay concession. If a travel to port is required, then the battles would be more rare, and many more people will avoid battles. Admin said, I think, that they want people have fast action.

• Like 2

But if the crew is idle when there is not battle, they can make repairs and maintenance, is realistic. If the ship go at shore they can recolect repair materials. And I said slowly repairs in another post, but I forget to say this detail in my last post.

If you want more realistic, the ships repairs must take various months, replenish the crew, minimum two of weeks... etc

Crew replenish after battle is a gameplay concession. If a travel to port is required, then the battles would be more rare, and many more people will avoid battles. Admin said, I think, that they want people have fast action.

Thanks Siggi!

...realistic, challenging, and interesting approach.

Translated into PVP lingo: anal retentive, time-consuming and boring. ;)

Let realism be sailing physics and ballistics, let challenge be fighting other players and interesting be players making themselves available for fights.

• Like 1

Jodgi, it sounds like you should play the skirmish part of the game when it comes out; that's where you can get your fast thrills (if you're up for fair fights at least).

Was just about to say the exact same thing.

In everyone one of your post's jodgi you advocate mechanics more akin to an arena mode, like the sea trials that was in-game before OW and will be back on full launch. Why turn the OW into another sea trials? That many players want the slower paced, realistic open water can't be lost on you...

Jodgi, it sounds like you should play the skirmish part of the game when it comes out; that's where you can get your fast thrills (if you're up for fair fights at least).

Was just about to say the exact same thing.

In everyone one of your post's jodgi you advocate mechanics more akin to an arena mode, like the sea trials that was in-game before OW and will be back on full launch. Why turn the OW into another sea trials? That many players want the slower paced, realistic open water can't be lost on you...

Nah, I'll keep voicing my opinion on what would make the open world fun for me too, I'm not alone, as you may have noticed. I honestly think the biggest recruitment potential lies with PVP oriented players.

As a PVP-extremist I will continue to cast my vote as to avoid this fantastic game being taken over by sea-accountants, PVE-zombies, realism-junkies and what have you.

I may not always succeed, but I strive to design my input in a way that doesn't take away choice for players with other preferences.

Right now we're paying the iron-price of PVP scarcity, so we may seem a bit excessive. Forgive us.

edit:

Damn you!

You tricked me into going full reta...off-topic!

;)

Edited by jodgi

The idea behind the repair kits is that players have to consider what regions they want to attack. If they want to take over a port for example they have to prepare for that carefully.

Do you have enough ships? Do you have enough repairs to keep your ship afloat during the breaks on the open sea?

If you yolo into enemy territory you can be as good as you want. Once you wasted all your repairs the next fight against you will bring you nearer to the bottom of the sea.

What I like to point out is this:

Once the Open world gets crafting implemented we may be able to manufacture our own repair kits. Or buy them off an auction house for example. (only some examples I have no idea how it will look like)

I vote for:

keep the repairs as they are right now.

But add a basic repair kit to the shop and every bigger one can only be looted.

The idea behind the repair kits is that players have to consider what regions they want to attack. If they want to take over a port for example they have to prepare for that carefully.

Do you have enough ships? Do you have enough repairs to keep your ship afloat during the breaks on the open sea?

If you yolo into enemy territory you can be as good as you want. Once you wasted all your repairs the next fight against you will bring you nearer to the bottom of the sea.

What I like to point out is this:

Once the Open world gets crafting implemented we may be able to manufacture our own repair kits. Or buy them off an auction house for example. (only some examples I have no idea how it will look like)

I vote for:

keep the repairs as they are right now.

But add a basic repair kit to the shop and every bigger one can only be looted.

We aren't criticizing the ability to repair your ship or repair at sea, simply the 'repair kit' mechanic. It's far too simplified. You should have to take lumber, sail cloth, spars and rigging to repair. The more you have the less room you have in the hold and the heavier your cargo is etc.

• Like 4

Currently we win repair kits on an ad hoc basis. Each time we start a battle we have 2 repairs available. I cant guarantee winning repair kits so sometimes I pick a fight and run just to access repairs. I would suggest instead that repair kits are sold at port and each player can buy a certain number before setting out from port. After he has used them he has to go back to port. Whether this replaces the built in double repair at the start of each battle is debatable. Myself I would rather have say 4 repair kits available from the shop for each player and no re-charge of repairs on entering each battle. This would force an economy of repairs and probably be more realistic.

This should pop up, when ships in game will have weight attribute, beside repair question is one of most long term sail around thing. Maybe from early start of tests.

Would rather have to go to port for repair materials and crew replacements than have them magically appear after every battle.

Yep, weight is natural limit of repairs on board. Some time ago i suggest crew endurance pretty simple system which allows avoid docking after each fight and still will force players to do this. 3 levels of durability: red green yellow. Each one have different crew numbers. Green - full health normal crew, and then, after first fight, you will have yellow level with lower crew number, including some healed with doctor officer, but still with casualties. Lowered crew will be compensated with morale, if your team win the first fight, and it means, that you have killed or wounded crew, which is unavailable in second fight, but thanks to morale, this penalties will be negated fully or in some part. And third level - red, which happen after third fight, and means same, as yellow, but progressive. Or just lost crew related switch to this levels (if crew isn't damaged, then next level of endurance will switch later).Morale in this can be only compensation, which doesn't allow players to get extra boost with row wins. 

At the end we will have casualties, which force captain to hire new crew, but still you will be able to fight some time row in Open sea, before you get hard penalty. All that left is balance weight of repairs and crew renew to some compromise values, and players will have ability to not dock after each fight. Problem solved.