Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

As to shiptypes, I see where you're coming from there.  Strictly from a programming and modelling standpoint, you need to have homogeny.  It'll certainly make it easier on you in the long term.

Is there going to be different types of shot allowed?

Are the armaments on the ships, going to be set more according to historical ship type?

shiptypes: eventually most ship types will be in the game. 

shot: currently there are 3 - round, double shot and chain shot, adding new types will take 10 mins of programming time for each. 

armament: depends on the ship type and what such ship types could carry in history. But no 42lb cannons on schooners of course.

• Like 1

I've been scanning the forum and site for features and discussion, leading me to ask this question. I understand there is talk of clans, guilds, etc. But what of national factions?

If there are national factions, what era will this game acknowledge? I ask this as a student of American Naval history, wondering if there will ever be a game on par with Age of Sail, Sea Dogs, and Pirates of the Burning Sea that's set in the Napoleonic era and offers the United States as a playable option. It seems all games of this genre are largely European in flavor.

Regardless, I look forward to this game. The Age of Fighting Sail is my thing and this game seems to have the potential to answer what I've been dreaming of for years!

shiptypes: eventually most ship types will be in the game. 

shot: currently there are 3 - round, double shot and chain shot, adding new types will take 10 mins of programming time for each. 

armament: depends on the ship type and what such ship types could carry in history. But no 42lb cannons on schooners of course.

Actually, a massive cannon mounted in (effectively) a rowboat was a viable tactic. They were gunships, and if you weren't careful or got caught unawares, a half dozen of these could sink just about anything. That said, they were for shore or harbor defense only, and couldn't take much weather. They were most useful on very calm days where a sailing ship's speed advantage was nullified.

And, all this said, I wouldn't want to sail one in-game. But they could make for an entertaining NPC.

Will the height of the gunport sill (distance of the lowest gunport to the waterline) play a role in heavy weather engagements? Would be a cool feature for frigate vs. smaller ship-of-the-line fights when the SoL can´t use it´s lower gundeck due to heavy seas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This probably a little early to ask, but is there any ideas being floated around about crafting or economy yet? Is this going to have a player driven economy? What will players be able to craft? Or is it just to early to know yet?

What can you say about ship destruction? What can we expect to see?

a. Simple marks on ship textured hull/ sails.

b. complex (Empire Total War) style, see through holes, planks explode on impact, debris floating around ships, crew jumping overboard, sails catch fire etc...

Thanks.  

Hello 

What can you say about ship destruction? What can we expect to see?

a. Simple marks on ship textured hull/ sails.

b. complex (Empire Total War) style, see through holes, planks explode on impact, debris floating around ships, crew jumping overboard, sails catch fire etc...

Thanks.  

We don't have a complex system YET. But we plan to expand it over time. Currently planks explode, ships can catch fire. but we are focused on combat now. and are preparing for initial rounds of focus testing. Once we finish it we will work on other priorities decided with players.

But the question is - what would you choose first damage visualization or open map prototype?

Hello 

We don't have a complex system YET. But we plan to expand it over time. Currently planks explode, ships can catch fire. but we are focused on combat now. and are preparing for initial rounds of focus testing. Once we finish it we will work on other priorities decided with players.

But the question is - what would you choose first damage visualization or open map prototype?

Open map for sure.

I think finding a way of Evolution quite interresting game

do in each port a feature according to its natural environment ,

for example to a port that is in oak surrounds , so create sawmills,

create an economy in general.

more to an evolution of the ship , let me explain :

have a schooner with 10 guns and go from port to port for improve ( make visible the physical changes so make the boat more realistic game )

go into a port to see a blacksmith in order to improve the power of guns and cannons add to the ship , see a carpenter to improve the characteristics of resistance of the ship DAMAGE ... and why not go to a tavern to recruit marine ?

all must meet two criteria is : accessible to all level ( against more you have a high lvl it may cost you dear )

and finally meet a limit améliration ships.

not something I would end permetez the construction of ships and all the raw materials and also construction (teak, pine , oak , shipyard, forge, etc .... )

that do you think?

i am french excuse me for my english :)

I think finding a way of Evolution quite interresting game
that do you think?

i am french excuse me for my english :)

you basically described every age of sail game)) 

we have not started working on the RPG and crafting yet. And once we will try best to make it as interesting as possible.

I would like to know if you are planning a french translation of the game.

And also in which languages are you planning to internationalise the game?

Good luck in your development we are expecting this game with lot of desire and curiosity!  :)  :)  :)

French language of course. we will even have Ministère de la Marine et des Colonies in game.

• Like 3

I just checked the pics of the Surprise /Unité and was wondering:

At this point of your development, can you tell how many men we will be able to see aboard?

Ships of those times were very crowded places.. 200 men or more on such a little frigate like the surprise..

5 inch to sleep in your hammock and no private place exept for the captain..

And 600+ men on a ship of the line with 74 guns and even more.

I think the satissima trinidad was manned with over a thousand men.

HMS Victory took over 800 men to her complement. (just to give examples)

Will there be an option of how you man your ships? To play like a privateer or pirate and crowd a small schooner with over a hundred men to sail alongside an enemy and board him?

That asked I may point at POTBS' avcom model wich is so totally ramdom and gear-based that I do hate it with a passion..

I hope there wont be such issues with your game ;)

Another subject:

Are you ships modeled completely? In potbs for example most gunports are simply black so the game doesnt have to model the interior of the deck bejond the gun.

Can we see through everything in Naval Action?

Number of men

It is going to be very expensive performance wise to render all 800 men on Victory. Currently the plan is to model the minimal crew to preserve the feeling of the live deck. 

Modelling

Lower decks are not modeled internally, but you can see through certain parts on upper decks. We have not yet finalized the ship modelling system thus there could be changes. 

This may have already been answered, but will there be a Beta? And if so what would a broad estimate for release of that be?

Thank you for making this game, been looking forward to a new one like this for quite a while. :D

It is too early to tell. But our development model will let you play multiplayer part whenever you want starting beginning of next year (or maybe earlier).

• 2 weeks later...