Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.4 Feedback<<< (1.4.1.1 Opt x2 latest version)

Nick Thomadis

My task force has just generated two "Meetings" in one turn - with the British and the French. I didn't take a screenshot of the first battle with the British because I didn't think there would be any problems.

TF1.png

Edited by Lima

2 hours ago, Lima said:

My task force has just generated two "Meetings" in one turn - with the British and the French. I didn't take a screenshot of the first battle with the British because I didn't think there would be any problems.

TF1.png

I'm probably just missing the obvious, but what is the problem here?

13 minutes ago, Dave P. said:

I'm probably just missing the obvious, but what is the problem here?

The problem is that my task force got a second battle per turn, even though it was already engaged in battle. Funny thing is, France and Britain are allies, but they decided to fight me separately at the same point in the ocean.

8 hours ago, tvaishar said:

I absolutely agree here. The armour limit has a huge impact on the game (and even bigger in campaign). Some armour limitation is desirable, but it has to be implemented carefuly. Current implementation not only hampers general survivability of ships (some classes more than others) but it also makes them worse gunnery platforms as the main belt and deck armour was used to reduce pitch and roll. And if you factor in campaign enviroment - you will lose more ships and your ships will stay longer out of service due to repairs. Not to mention changes in economy.

But the "Icankilleverythingwithmy12inchers" problem is a coin with two sides. The other is the variety in charges, propellants, gun calibre and barrel length. You can equip your ship with a large gun of basically any calibre and have a large range of pen values over various distances. It is hard to build ship that counters that. I remember that before this variety was implemented I was able to build ships with immunity zones - with armour reliably protecting the ship against predictable pen value in certain range of distances. And work with this in battle. I don't think it is possible now. Nowadays we count much more (it was always a thing) on our gunnery being better than AI's rather than on armour.

Seems like the gun penetration might be overtuned if historical armor belts at max quality are being penetrated by 12" guns. Previously, the gun penetration had to be exaggerated to penetrate the ridiculously thick armor belts. I think the armor limits should be raised moderately (enough to enable all historical builds, plus maybe an inch or so extra where suitable.) and the penetration characteristics should be re-evaluated.

I just wanted to post some suggestions for future 1.4.X updates, or 1.5 or later that many have spoken to me about through YouTube and/or my discord. Some of them have been mentioned before, (apologies for that) but I still get asked about them all the time! 

1. The option to remove submarines and/or mines when starting a campaign (which I know was on the roadmap at one point! Would still love to see it :) )

2. Adding a delay to AI ships beginning torpedo avoidance based on crew level (so a veteran ship will have a very small delay, cadets a big one)

3. Increase the ‘sunk due to extensive fire’ threshold (I believe it is at 70% or so currently, 90% feels a lot better!) to somewhat reduce HE spam. Alternatively reduce the fire chance either in general or on partial penetrations in particular 

4. Some way to set divisions at the start of a battle (Total War style deployment perhaps would be easiest?)

5. A ‘wrap around’ map (similar to Rule the Waves/Victoria) which I know is perhaps considered an aesthetic issue but anyone who likes playing the USA or Japan a lot in the campaign would really appreciate it

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Lima said:

The problem is that my task force got a second battle per turn, even though it was already engaged in battle. Funny thing is, France and Britain are allies, but they decided to fight me separately at the same point in the ocean.

I've been finding that this has been an issue as well.

For Example, I was invading Italy with multiple fleets and the one DD the Italians had in the area fought against each task force.

Also had the same thing with one of their submarines attacking my multiple Submarine taskforces each turn.

• Like 1

Just two things real quick.

1> Noticed that the depth charge racks on some destroyer hulls no longer mask gun firing arcs.  Great change.

2> British Mark 4 six inch guns can't currently be mounted in superfiring arrangement using the control towers with integral barbettes on some RN light cruiser hulls as the A turret is too tall and will obscure the B turret.  Problem exists with some of the single barbettes too.  This was noted in campaign when I was using Mark 4 guns; didn't have the problem before I got to that research stage.

• Like 1

Does the dissolving of countries due to the loss of home territories not work for someone else? It worked in my last campaign, but I just saw a bear eat AH, and her spirit is still alive in Syria.

EDIT: Just to clarify, alliances work fine in this campaign, unlike how it works in my next post.

Edited by Lima

Something is very wrong with alliances

Germany 1910-1917. 
After the first war with Britain and France, I planned to develop, but Britain attacked and annexed Venezuela (my oil cow ally). My stock GDP growth is terrible, so I really need oil. And I started a new war with Britain (in 1916).

France has an alliance with Britain (I didn't pay attention to whether it was terminated after the last warn). They're sending troops to help Britain, but they're not declaring war on me. Well, I declared war on them separately and defeated them. But their alliance with Britain was not terminated! And they're still sending troops against me.

To make it even funnier, Britain has made an alliance with the US and they are also sending troops against me, without going to war, I have a positive relationship with them actually.

T1.png

T2.png

Note - as you can see above, for some reason Venezuela is still present as my ally, although it has already been annexed first by Britain and then by me. British GDP is so bad because it is under blockade.

T3.png

And no, I didn't make any changes to the save, I never do. The only time I interacted with the save was at the very beginning of the campaign, I looked at my GrowthMul, and yeaaaah, it's terrible. Venezuela as an ally was a gift from God himself...

T4.png

A general screenshot of this campaign, which it looks like I'll have to scrap.

T5.png

57 minutes ago, Lima said:

Does the dissolving of countries due to the loss of home territories not work for someone else? It worked in my last campaign, but I just saw a bear eat AH, and her spirit is still alive in Syria.

EDIT: Just to clarify, alliances work fine in this campaign, unlike how it works in my next post.

can confirm this being an issue (new feature?)

current and last campaign, either france, spain or germany lost home territories but was still very much alive and in the game. Heck, Spain had Canary Islands with and had 4bb, 10+ ca, 10+ cl, plus many dd/tb. same with france, having French Guiana and Madagascar and sporting same ships as a very up and expanding Russia.

All with their GDP being positive, if not by much

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 1

Usually army AI is OK, but for some reason it is very fond of the Kiautschou Bay. The generals consider this place much more important than the Battle of Britain.

T7.png

T6.png

It would be great to be able to offer the army to concentrate on some territory. Like we really really need to hold a foothold in Britain, guys.

13 minutes ago, Zuikaku said:

All of the AI TFs sailing around are low fuel when engaged. What is even more puzzling is that french AI TFs in home waters (W Mediterranean, English channel) or in Southeast Asia (near French ports and colonies) are low fuel. 

+ This problem is often found in TFs, but it can also appear in enemy ships going on a mission from the port.

• Like 1

Speaking of home waters, in most campaigns it's friggin' impossible to find any, for example, British ships actually near Britain. They're mostly sailing around the coast of Africa or around the red and arabian seas and SE Asia, in wild, aimlessly dancing shoals of warships. What I'm getting at: the AI seems REALLY bad at splitting its fleets up to cover several theaters.

The way it currently looks reminds me of newish RTS players box selecting and a-moving everything that's on their screen as soon as they see an enemy unit.

Edited by Aldaris

1 hour ago, Lima said:

+ This problem is often found in TFs, but it can also appear in enemy ships going on a mission from the port.

wich is even worse, really. Since they are just going out from port to attack and then sail back, they should under no circumstance be low on fuel (atleast in the battle)

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MDHansen said:

can confirm this being an issue (new feature?)

current and last campaign, either france, spain or germany lost home territories but was still very much alive and in the game. Heck, Spain had Canary Islands with and had 4bb, 10+ ca, 10+ cl, plus many dd/tb. same with france, having French Guiana and Madagascar and sporting same ships as a very up and expanding Russia.

All with their GDP being positive, if not by much

I eliminated Italy last night.

When you do eliminate another empire, the flavor text says it's because they have no more ports, not because of missing home territories.

So I'd assume the logic changed but it was intentional, since the UI reflects the new criteria.

1 minute ago, Dave P. said:

When you do eliminate another empire, the flavor text says it's because they have no more ports, not because of missing home territories.

So I'd assume the logic changed but it was intentional, since the UI reflects the new criteria.

This is a good point. Ive had this.

Still questioning the amount of cash they are making from small non-oil territories

2 minutes ago, Dave P. said:

Previously, there were two types of dissolving - due to the loss of all ports and due to the loss of all home territories. I haven't seen the removal of the second option described anywhere in the patch. It's just not happening at the moment.

• Nick Thomadis changed the title to >>>v1.4 Feedback<<< (1.4.0.5 latest version)