Game-Labs Forum

Firing while using telescope

Something small I would like to see is the ability to be able to give the command to fire your cannons while in the telescope view.  I constantly find myself going to the firing screen, firing a range shot, looking thru the scope, see if shot is ranged properly, dropping the scope then firing broadside.  If that ranged shot hit and Im in scope mode, I would like to be able to give the order at that point of firing broadside. Just something small. Im pretty sure in history having a scope to the Commanders eye did not stop him from giving the order to open fire. :)

• Like 5

I constantly find myself going to the firing screen, firing a range shot, looking thru the scope, see if shot is ranged properly, dropping the scope then firing broadside.  If that ranged shot hit and Im in scope mode, I would like to be able to give the order at that point of firing broadside. 

I agree.

• Like 1

Currently the telescope is aimed independently of the guns.  Is your suggestion to fire guns with the last set elevation and traverse?

Correct. You would have to be in the screen that allows you to range, but while in that screen AND using the scope you can still fire while in scope view.

I see no problem with that. It wouldn't really affect the skills as it is QoL improvement. Wouldn't use it myself, I usually maneuver a lot, so the confirmation of guns being on target is a nice thing to check on. Also, I keep maneuvering during the salvo.

For me, an option to adjust scroll rate would be more important. My trigger finger muscles are getting 6-packs from all that scrolling ;)

You shouldn't be able to adjust you're aim point while in telescope view, it is a telescope not a sniper scope, but I agree you should be able to watch a ranging shot onto target with the telescope and be able to then fire your broadside at the same elevation and aim point without having to leave telescope view.

• Like 2

I should think the captain uses his scope, looking in the general direction of fire, to confirm if a ranging shot is a hit or splash in the water.... It is mush as 1400 meters away... (logical).

(game play) aim while if scope mode would be nice... My personal experience has been a desire to continue "speed ranging shots" at long distance where either range is changing or the profile is small... When the first shot misses, I just come out of scope mode. But as it stands now, fire, scope/off scope, fire, scope/of scope, repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat...

Aiming in that view would be additional bonus.

You shouldn't be able to adjust you're aim point while in telescope view, it is a telescope not a sniper scope, but I agree you should be able to watch a ranging shot onto target with the telescope and be able to then fire your broadside at the same elevation and aim point without having to leave telescope view.

I think this would be the easiest way to accomplish it without having to build a bunch of new stuff.  All that would be needed is the fire command while in telescope view.  You would have to go back to normal view to actually make any adjustments. 

it is a puzzling question

1) Captain looks into the telescope adjusting commands

2) Gunner adjusts aim by moving the wooden triangle

If great ideas come from this discussion we will prototype and test them.

Maybe you could use the WASD keys (or other keys that don't interfere with existing controls) to call out to the gunners where you want them to adjust.  The question is, would there be any sort of visual aiming apparatus or would you just use dead reckoning with your ranging shots as a point of reference?    

I think as it stands, the aim point isn't moved when in telescope view, so when viewing a ranging shot through the scope, if it hits, the captain should be able to say, "fire all guns" (i.e., click the mouse button for a broadside), while still in telescope view. If the ranging shot misses, it makes sense to have to leave the scope view to adjust the shot, then range again.

As I see it, keeping aiming in aiming mode but allowing guns to fire while in scope mode would work fine since the aim isn't moved while in scope mode, and would be most realistic.

When it scope mode, one is playing the captain, but when in aiming mode, one is actually playing the gunner, making adjustments on the gun through moving the mouse (and so aim point). The gunner doesn't give a command to fire, the captain does. So firing while in scope view is only logical. The captain need not always look through the telescope though, so giving a command to fire should also be possible when in aim mode. Captain has access to both views, gunner only to one. Aiming in aim mode only (not in telescope mode), but firing in both modes accords most realistically to the roles as they are modeled by the game at present.

• Like 7

Yes, Tom was much better at putting into words as to what I was trying to get at in my original post. My original intent was never to be able to make adjustments while in telescope mode, but just to be able to give the order to fire broadsides while in it.

Edited by Nytmare

I dont like the idea at all it is good like it is this what you suggest is easy play nothing more .nothing is wrong with this system that we allready have in game .

You just want to to combat be more simple or you did not get the hang of it it just need a little practice nothing more...

So you want fire while in tele mode that is not good you as a captain can only watch through the telescope you dont aim sailor does you dont fire sailor does . So i think this system we have now is good and close to the real life thing.

Or do you want that devs. put a cord on all guns and that you as a captain pull the cord and all the guns fire while you are in tele mode? while there you can ask devs.. to make a graf in your telescope with range scale and a crosshair in the middle and there you go you will have it all then.

Plz no telescope fire (people allready have problems with tunnel vision as it is if they make this its only gonna get worse .

Add an option (use telescope when firing), when this option is enabled, player will be able to lock the aiming distance (marker) and adjust fire as necessary for more accurate long range hits.  

1. Aim as usual. 

2. Lock the aim height/distance marker and switch to telescope - (Shift + Right Mouse button.)

Shift - lock the aim height/distance, to stabilize.

Right Mouse Button - telescope view, to adjust fire. 

Space bar - single shot to measure the distance and see if shot hit the target.

Left Mouse Button - Fire full broadside at locked coordinate.

If test shot misses the target player must repeat the process - Release Right Mouse Button, re-position the aim height, Press Shift to lock it, press Right Mouse Button to switch back to telescope and use Space bar to fire a test shot. When test shot hits the target press Left Mouse Button to fire the full broadside. 

*When you release Right Mouse Button and back to normal aim view the lock is reset. 

• Like 1