Game-Labs Forum

A new nation emerges

MDHansen

Just thought I'd show something I threw together. All basics, but it works. Still some details to flesh out. Don't mind the insane negative fund, I got a $ error on crew 😝

For testing purposes I'm only using USA hulls and generic guns

54IoU0K.jpg

KIwdhUh.jpg

Qq4qQij.jpg

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, it works. Not replacing any other major nation, just "promoting" Norway.

Now, I have two issues, and they ain't small either, though not breaking.

1. The flag. I just can't get it to appear. It is using the neutral minor flag with a ? inside, on map and in battle.

2. And probably somewhat connected to 1; Even if South/North Norway is set as home region, the game still treats it as colony. So initially in a new game, you have no standing army since you don't have a home population, and no crew pool. As soon as you conquer a new region you will have home population and an army, BUT, your home region is still considered colony and the new land is considered home.

EDIT: overlay colour stays in neutral colour aswell

If anyone have some ideas do let me know :D

Files I've edited within resources.assets :

aiAdmirals

aiPersonalities

partModels

parts

players

ports

provinces

relationMatrix

shipNames

I've also added to resources.assets

player-norway (type Material), but as far as I can tell it works fine without it

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Indeed.

There was a lot of text to tweak and add in the resource files. I do believe, however, that this is as far as I can get without some tools. There are files I can't just copy and change their names, since they have corresponding "containers" and I can't open them properly, nor make new files properly. And therein lies the problem I have with home region and flag

I got to add though that I am no experienced modder at all

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 1

Does the nation work in custom battle? Do you see the flag in the selector? You wrote that its not visible in most parts. This would allow at least some fun experiments there too.

Edited by Astor

this is a valid question. I have edited the nation name, government and ruling party. but havent found a way to tie the different governments and parties to the nation, should it ever change. I was kind of assuming it would be a natural way of the game as things happens... hmm

• 5 months later...

I am picking this up again. And I was hoping @Nick Thomadis could offer me an answer.

With the current tools and means we have to edit the files, is it at all possible to add a new major nation? (not replace a major, but new, like f.ex. Norway or Ottomans)

I have the same issues I had 6 months ago. I can add in a new nation as Major and it mostly works, except
1) Flag on the Map (in the resource.assets file, other majors have several "flag" entities, wich I can't add to for a minor/medium nation)
2) Home regions doesnt recognize population and armies (it is done correctly in provinces-assets)
3) Crew doesn't work, because of 2)

-I can "fix" crew through the savefile, but it won't increase. Again, because of 2

Edited by MDHansen
  • Like 1

Well, this is exciting.

Can you force events? If you can, can you force a conquest event? Again, if you can, you can force a conquest of a home region at the beginning of the first turn and solve the pop/crew problem immediately, so long as your new major has at least two regions.