Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.4 - for UAD v1.5.1.6

o Barão

I got stuck on an infinite loading screen while the AI is trying to design a BB for a Naval Academy mission with shared designs turned off (specifically the one where you fight two American dreadnoughts). I'm guessing it might be because the constraints are too narrow and the AI can't figure out something that works with the changed mod weights?

10 hours ago, Anthropoid said:

I'm guessing that this was just a result of the game auto-updating?

Yes. Every time the game updates, the mod also needs to be updated.

10 hours ago, Anthropoid said:

I did briefly install the "New Horizons" package but decided to delete it. Maybe I deleted the mod too?

The files are different. So, unless you make a mistake, it is impossible to remove both.

• Like 1

BETA v2.0.0 N.A.R. changelog:

• Realistic hull effects implemented.

---Hull effects reworked.---

Beam:

• The wider the beam, the shorter the ship turning radius.

Draught:

• The greater the ship draft, the bigger is the surface area that needs to push the water, increasing the ship turning radius.
  • The deeper a vessel lies in the water, the more sluggish will be her response to the helm.
  • The deeper a vessel lies in the water, the more gentle will be the rolling in bad weather, mitigating the issues with the guns accuracy.

Other:

Many hull effects values were tweaked, but in general are minor changes.

NIGHT VISION stat enabled. This is only experimental, and it is for running tests to see if it is working or not. The player will find this new stat in the towers.

• Like 1

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v2.0.0 - for UAD v1.4.0.5Rx2
57 minutes ago, basedana said:

I still think ships with max beam shouldn't really suffer from that -30 recoil debuff considering how much stability having a wider beam would provide

Or, if they have to suffer the recoil debuff, a wider beam simply makes the recovery from said debuff faster.

On 11/2/2023 at 1:22 AM, o Barão said:

For the country as a whole.

I noticed something when editing a save file (I like giving the AI a tech boost at the start of a campaign), that I think is a new addition to the game (or maybe from NAR?)
The different nations have different AI personalities, like default_ai, balanced_ai, ecole_ai, austria_ai, treasury_ai and many other types.

(I assume the different personalities have different focuses on what to build. It would be interesting to know which AI personality causes the "I must have 300 submarines"-behaviour.)

I assume when playing with Historical Opponents enabled while generating the campaign, Austria will have the austria_ai, Japan will have japan_ai, etc.

But with the enemy set to random, all the AI personalities were indeed random. So for example some nations had balanced or default ai (what is the difference?), but for example Italy had austria_ai.

So if you edited the japan_ai to solve the issue Munro had with Japan spamming subs, that might not have an effect if AI behaviour was set to random and Japan had a different AI personality than japan_ai.

I set all my AI enemies to default_ai, it will be interesting to see when the campaign progresses if any of them start building hundreds of subs and nothing else.

• Like 1

Oh cool, I always thought they could do more with beam, draft and leangth, with regard to speed and handling espesualy.

With few exceptions, I build ships at the max displacement for the shortest length increment, and with minimum beam and draft. This results in ships that are very fast and very cheap compared to neutral beam, draft and leangth.

But, these ships should not be fast, the longest variations should be faster than the shortest, that more than anything should determine speed. Are you able to mess with those speed thresholds were the cost and tonage become ludicrous? And adjust them based on leangth, and not just on beam?

12 minutes ago, Fangoriously said:

Are you able to mess with those speed thresholds were the cost and tonage become ludicrous? And adjust them based on leangth, and not just on beam?

The length of the ship and also the beam and draught slider will have an impact on the engine weight and cost.

In conclusion, the engine power will change according to the ship hull dimensions to reach the target speed set by the player.

52 minutes ago, Panzergraf said:

(I assume the different personalities have different focuses on what to build. It would be interesting to know which AI personality causes the "I must have 300 submarines"-behaviour.)

None. I wrote all the AI personalities, and there is none that says to build 300 subs and nothing else. Another player mentioned that it can be when the AI is stuck in building new ships. I don't know.

I never used random, so I can't say what will happen. I suspect that the AI will use the admiral personalities that I wrote for other nations, but I am guessing here.

• Like 2

Greetings,

I've run into a problem with this mod where it will partially install (armor descriptions updated, but the search plane options and other mod features didn't).  I suspect this has something to do with the fact the main game files are on a different drive partition (D:/) while the GameLabs folder is on another (C:/).  Furthermore, even after a reinstall of UAD, I only see "custom_battle_data" and neither of the other two files recommended for removal.  

I've installed the mod on a different computer, and everything worked according to the installation guide.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and what has been your fix?

5 minutes ago, Fangoriously said:

The 2 mod files go where you installed the game on steam, if you put them in the right place they should replace existing files.

Ok, having put the files where they're supposed to go, and it doesn't convert the vanilla game over to the mod, what's the next troubleshooting step?

Edited by diceman624

5 hours ago, diceman624 said:

Ok, having put the files where they're supposed to go, and it doesn't convert the vanilla game over to the mod, what's the next troubleshooting step?

0n6aXCo.png

resource.assets file goes in the game data directory. *Ignore "C:Games..."

wdeZ4y8.png

And the english file in this location. *Again, ignore the "C:Games..."

splEfQX.jpg

In game you know the mod is working by reading the news.

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v2.0.1 - for UAD v1.4.0.5 Rx3
  • o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v2.0.2 - for UAD v1.4.0.6
5 hours ago, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

Why does increasing barrel length decrease accuracy?

That was implemented by the devs if to balance the long barrels many patches ago.

The "excuse" behind that was the higher pressure inside the barrel will wear down the gun, decreasing the accuracy.

2 hours ago, o Barão said:

That was implemented by the devs if to balance the long barrels many patches ago.

The "excuse" behind that was the higher pressure inside the barrel will wear down the gun, decreasing the accuracy.

Yes, and while it is somewhat often true it is also a negligible instance... really once you get past a certain point (approximately 40-50 Caliber) it the mass and power requirements to MOVE the cannons becomes exponentially gigantic very quickly.  Changing the algorithm mid update cycle would cause a lot of people using really long guns to be quite angry if the turret mass doubled because of making the elevation gear more realistic as a balance to Super long guns.   So instead you loose accuracy...   SO GLAD I never INTENTIONALLY build a turret with longer than 50 caliber cannons past 3"/76mm bore diameter.

IRL This can be somewhat compensated for by making a LIGHTER cannon (eg the US 16"/50 Mk 7 vs the US 16"/50 Mk1/Mk3 )  But that also actually lowers the accuracy in it's own right (yes the Lexington's 16"/50 Mk1 or Mk3s were more accurate than the Iowas Mk7s!

Of course probably the most accurate US 16" is the experimental 16"/54 Mk4   But it is also almost 2.5 the mass of a Mk7 cannon

Before someone starts throwing data from places like Naveweaps.com for the 16"/50 masses...   The 16/50 Mk1, Mk3 and 16/54 Mk4s were never mounted on ships the mass is just the barrel with the breach with no recoil no elevation etc equipment included... where as the ones that were on ships includes all that mass (which is why the Lightweight 16"/50 Mk7 is almost exactly 2x the mass of the HEAVIER 16"/50 Mk1.  Sadly a lot of websites don't compare apples to apples in this case... it is more apples to pears.  Right ballpark wrong field.

Edited by Pappystein

Great mod i am really enjoying playing dreadnaughts now because of this mod but i do have a few questions/ ideas im not any good at mods so i don't know if its possible to change the single 7 inch British gun to a more realistic open turret by using an upsized 5" or 6" gun model and if its at all possible to give/use both unarmoured and armoured secondary turret designs and being able to keep all different primary gun designs useable just with increased stat to match the mk of gun unlocked thanks for the great mod keep up the hard work its much appreciated

Love this mod. If only the base game implemented some of the changes you made! One thing I did run into, the Destroyer I design for Italy seems to have a longitudinal weight problem. It starts with a massive AFT weight imbalance but if I add guns to the bow, the imbalance gets worse? Perhaps a bug in the calculations. Also appears the center of gravity is very far forward on the hull (with nothing on it). i can send screen shot if needed ( I neglected to do this earlier).

3 hours ago, rossi191 said:

Great mod i am really enjoying playing dreadnaughts now because of this mod but i do have a few questions/ ideas im not any good at mods so i don't know if its possible to change the single 7 inch British gun to a more realistic open turret by using an upsized 5" or 6" gun model and if its at all possible to give/use both unarmoured and armoured secondary turret designs and being able to keep all different primary gun designs useable just with increased stat to match the mk of gun unlocked thanks for the great mod keep up the hard work its much appreciated

Where did you saw a British armored cruiser with a 7" open turret? I searched and did find any. And the British 7" in the navalweaps are all closed turrets. Maybe I am missing something here.

Anyway, my work with the guns is done, unless the devs add new options. I spent maybe almost 100 hours working on them, and I am exhausted. But if you are willing, I can tell you where to look.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_Main.php

1 hour ago, Hasty R said:

One thing I did run into, the Destroyer I design for Italy seems to have a longitudinal weight problem. It starts with a massive AFT weight imbalance but if I add guns to the bow, the imbalance gets worse? Perhaps a bug in the calculations. Also appears the center of gravity is very far forward on the hull (with nothing on it). i can send screen shot if needed ( I neglected to do this earlier).

67978WT.jpg

OS0PomT.jpg

I didn't find any issue. But even if there was an issue, I would not be able to do anything. The values, I tweaked to rework the weight offset mechanic, are global and apply to all ships. I can't do anything to improve a specific ship in that regard.