Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.2 - for UAD v1.5.1.3

o Barão

Ya no Nelson like super structure, or a small front tower so you can actualy make an n3/g3, and the overdoing of Texas hulls, skipping over the standards entirely, it is a shame.

What do you think of the abundance of quad turrets added to every faction? Are you gunna cut those out for most factions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fangoriously said:

What do you think of the abundance of quad turrets added to every faction? Are you gunna cut those out for most factions?

Yes of course. I didn't see any significant changes. Only few changes to France and Britain.

eURE04F.jpg

The one in the back is a British fantasy quad gun secondary that we see in KGV battleship. The others two are french design guns from the WWI period.

oMWDrFH.jpg

All french here. So yeah, is only small improvements to the French and the British guns options.

4 hours ago, o Barão said:

Yes of course. I didn't see any significant changes. Only few changes to France and Britain.

The one in the back is a British fantasy quad gun secondary that we see in KGV battleship. The others two are french design guns from the WWI period.

All french here. So yeah, is only small improvements to the French and the British guns options.

Ya i figured. the very limited model additions didn't make me think they would survive your mod lol. With the 1950+ time period, might be appropriate to push some techs farther ahead in time, especially engine techs, maybe add a turbo electric 2 as well. I'd like to see a tech that reduces that final -15% accuracy on quad guns by 1950, there are way to many penalties applied to quads in general, even into the late era. From all my testing in no circumstance, range, packaging compromise or tech level that will allow a quad to ever out perform a triple in any way.

2 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

Ya i figured. the very limited model additions didn't make me think they would survive your mod lol. With the 1950+ time period, might be appropriate to push some techs farther ahead in time, especially engine techs, maybe add a turbo electric 2 as well. I'd like to see a tech that reduces that final -15% accuracy on quad guns by 1950, there are way to many penalties applied to quads in general, even into the late era. From all my testing in no circumstance, range, packaging compromise or tech level that will allow a quad to ever out perform a triple in any way.

Personally I'd replace Turbo-Electric II with a Diesel-Electric.  It was already in use during the WW2 period on some smaller designs like modern coastal defense ships and even larger designs like icebreakers like the Wind-class because it was  even more durable than a steam-electric design.  Slow as hell obviously since it needed a ton of space, but by making it a post-war turbocharged design you'd drop the tonnage requirements down by a lot.

As to armor stuff... oh boy, I'd love it if all but the latest destroyers had a half inch of armor or so at most because that's typically what they had solely for splinter protection on the conning tower and turrets, most completely lacking anything on the hulls.  The Fletchers were a massive step forwards in that regard since they were the first DD's out there with a splinter-protected hull, AFAIK.

Edited by SpardaSon21

4 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

As to armor stuff... oh boy, I'd love it if all but the latest destroyers had a half inch of armor or so at most because that's typically what they had solely for splinter protection on the conning tower and turrets, most completely lacking anything on the hulls.

I didn't mention this because it is not working properly. But I did make some minor changes to armor limits. But in game it seems each individual hull have specific limits and I don't know why. I can't find anything in "parts" file that explains why this is happening. I will take a better look after BETA v1 is ready.

21 minutes ago, o Barão said:

I didn't mention this because it is not working properly. But I did make some minor changes to armor limits. But in game it seems each individual hull have specific limits and I don't know why. I can't find anything in "parts" file that explains why this is happening. I will take a better look after BETA v1 is ready.

Each hull seems to be adjusting the class maximum armour in ship_types somehow but I’m not sure what value it is that is doing it. It does vary on a per hull basis though. 

6 hours ago, brothermunro said:

Each hull seems to be adjusting the class maximum armour in ship_types somehow but I’m not sure what value it is that is doing it. It does vary on a per hull basis though. 

Yes, the "ship_types" files is where we apply the global modifiers, but each individual hull parameter are set in the "parts" file but until now I didn't understand how is working.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, o Barão said:

I know, and I was also referring to those hull-specific limits the devs added in this update.  It would be a nice way to further differentiate between hulls with regards to tech levels (later hulls carrying more,) type (scout CL's typically less than a fleet CL), and nation, so even if a hull is identical between nations one may have a higher max armor than the other.

On 10/18/2023 at 8:07 AM, o Barão said:

Yes, the "ship_types" files is where we apply the global modifiers, but each individual hull parameter are set in the "parts" file but until now I didn't understand how is working.

Perhaps leave that part out of the initial 1.0 release? I'm curious how the armor limitations will affect ship design, both mine and my enemies. With the old limits it was a bit too easy to make an impenetrable tank.

• Like 1

BETAv1  N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.4.0.2R
  • show_tooltip_timer,0.1,Delay before appearance ToolTip,,,,,,, *stock 0.5

Note about the new hulls:

• Austro-Hungarian “Battleship II” Hull changed to one with more realistic proportions and look, but stills needs a better hull to better represent the "Habsgurg class".
  • Russian “Battleship VI” - "Peresvet" Hull from the devs used to improve the "Peresvet" from the mod (russian Battleship III)
  • British “Dreadnought V” - "Dreadnought V" from the mod become "Dreadnought VI"
  • French “Semi-Armored Cruiser V” Added new small funnels to complement the main tower and improve the French design language.
  • Japanese “Light Cruiser IV” Hull changed

Issue:

• US “Large Armored Cruiser” only show up in 1912 but is set to be available at 1905.

IMPORTANT

• Delete both custom and campaign save files to avoid any issues in this locaction: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Game Labs\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts
  • I do not recommend using the "shared designs" at the moment. I plan to do some important changes to ships and parts. I plan to have everything ready in a few weeks for the live version 1.0.

Important note from the devs:

***We kindly ask you again to stop reporting bugs if you know you use a previous version of the game, or you have modified the game in any way (cheats, mods, save edits). The reason is that a bug you created may seriously delay our work as we try to fix something that is not needed and may cause other bugs.***

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v1 - for UAD v1.4.0.2R
  • o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v1.0.1 - for UAD v1.4.0.2R

BETA v1.0.2  N.A.R. changelog:

• German Light cruiser IV hull changed to better represent the Magdeburg-class cruiser; Karlsruhe-class cruiser; Graudenz-class cruiser; Pillau-class cruiser; Wiesbaden-class cruiser
  • Added German Light Cruiser VI to represent the Emden cruiser; Königsberg class; Leipzig class
  • German Light Cruiser V sections nerfed to a more realistic look.

German Light Cruiser VI images

LJPdZ5E.jpg

Smy6Mud.jpg

xkLK4AE.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v1.0.2 - for UAD v1.4.0.2R

Thank you Baron, was eagerly awaiting your mod's update and I honestly expected it to be ready a few weeks from now given the number of hulls that were added. Not only were we treated to an insanely quick update (as usual) but also your sorcery of now being able to build historical ships like the karlsruhe and emden. 

I've gotten to a point where I cannot play without your mod, thanks (again) for all you do! <3

• Thanks 3

Is it intended that the flush deck destroyer has only the advanced towers available? It looks quite barebone compared to other DD options.

In fact I see most earlier DDs seem to miss the new introduced towers?

My guess is that you haven't touched them properly yet.

Edited by Astor

10 minutes ago, Astor said:

Is it intended that the flush deck destroyer has only the advanced towers available? It looks quite barebone compared to other DD options.

In fact I see most earlier DDs seem to miss the new introduced towers?

My guess is that you haven't touched them properly yet.

You are right. I missed some. I will upload in a few minutes a fix.

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v1.0.3 - for UAD v1.4.0.2R
  • o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v1.0.4 - for UAD v1.4.0.3R
  • o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v1.0.4 - for UAD v1.4.0.3Rx2