Game-Labs Forum

UAD Rebalancing Mod For [v1.4.0.5 R2]

admiralsnackbar

1 hour ago, Käptn_Flitschauge said:

Works for me

Running the mod after a patch will remove many of the improvements made between the patch associated with the mod and the most recent patch. 

The game might still be playable from a subjective point of view but I I would rather the mod keep current with the patches so that people don't report bugs to Nick that they shouldn't be. But updating the file every day is not really sustainable. 

• Like 1

As info for those who are trying to play this rapidly updated game while using AdmiralSnackbar's Rebalancing Mod:

1. Go to your "Steam" --> "SteamApps" --> "Common" folder 
2. Copy the entire Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts game folder
3. Paste the folder directly inside the "Steam" --> "SteamApps" --> "Common" folder and rename it (if desired)
4. Go into your newly created folder and apply the resource.assets file from AdmiralSnackbar's Rebalancing Mod
5. Right-click on the UltimateAdmiralDreadnoughts.exe file and select "Send to Desktop" --> "Create Shortcut"
6. Rename the shortcut on your desktop (if desired)
7. Access the game from your newly created shortcut that you've made and not the original one that Steam created for the base game (if applicable).

By doing this, you're creating a game copy within Steam that Reblancing Mod was updated for.  Your copied version of the game will not get updated when Game-Labs updates their base game, thus allowing you to continue using AdmiralSnackbar's mod until he gets his mod caught up with the current game version.  

When the mod does get updated to the current version, simply delete the old folder you've copied and repeat the steps above. This way, you'll have the most up-to-date version of the game the mod was made for without the constant developer patchhes overriding everything.

Edited by Tex_76
  • Like 2

Kinda wish I could play this mod on 1.2.0 again, 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 feel like a clown fiesta with penetration being WAYYYY too high and guns locking in place for no reason. The two last live patch (not this mod mind you) I can't for the life of me figure out why they were released in this state and with no play testing. Anyway hopefully they go back on the penetration change soon so we can go back to enjoying this mod.

• Like 1

Man, I must really suck at this game, because the AI seems DEADLY with this mod. They never miss, well hardly ever, and when they hit I pretty much lose a ship every time. Sure, when I hit, the damage is quite convincing as well, it just seems to me that they hit much more often on 2% chance than I do (checked it in a simple one on one battle where our accuracy was roughly equal, did it over a couple of times too).

I take it you didn't change AI accuracy, but only worked on the overall values? If so, I guess I either suck or just had a series of battles with really, really bad RNG.

Both are equally likely 🙂

3 minutes ago, MishaTX said:

Man, I must really suck at this game, because the AI seems DEADLY with this mod. They never miss, well hardly ever, and when they hit I pretty much lose a ship every time. Sure, when I hit, the damage is quite convincing as well, it just seems to me that they hit much more often on 2% chance than I do (checked it in a simple one on one battle where our accuracy was roughly equal, did it over a couple of times too).

I take it you didn't change AI accuracy, but only worked on the overall values? If so, I guess I either suck or just had a series of battles with really, really bad RNG.

Both are equally likely 🙂

I only altered the base hit rates of guns. If you're talking about the AI lethality in the campaign, that may be due to research. 

Vanilla has two issues:

1. Heavy guns are inaccurate and slow
2. AI research rates are terrible

So by making research rates better and gun performance smoother the AI is more likely to have ships that are a match for your own. 

• Like 1

I figured that was it. Been playing vanilla for too long and become complacent 😀

Also, and this might be me, too, but it's a welcome change to be sure: The AI doesn't seem to run as often as it does in vanilla. Could have to do with them not feeling woefully outclassed so much with the mod.

Thanks for your reply and, again, great job!

1 hour ago, MishaTX said:

I figured that was it. Been playing vanilla for too long and become complacent 😀

Also, and this might be me, too, but it's a welcome change to be sure: The AI doesn't seem to run as often as it does in vanilla. Could have to do with them not feeling woefully outclassed so much with the mod.

Thanks for your reply and, again, great job!

I lowered the retreat threshold slightly in previous versions but i think the tech differences also might have something to do with that. 

• Like 1

Glad you did, because I was getting quite tired of ghost battles.

I just don't understand why the devs don't just put a simple calculation in when battles are generated going something along the lines of "OK, AI won't want to fight this and he can outrun the player, don't offer the battle."

Or, better still, make them slightly less cowardly like you did. But I'm pretty sure that the fact that they're not as behind as in vanilla also has something to do with it.

Now I just need to "git gud" 😁

Hi, thanks for the mod, the little i tried i found great.

I have a few questions :

What research budget % should i use in order to meet AI research pace ? 

What application do you use to tweak the ressource file ? 

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Vilab said:

Hi, thanks for the mod, the little i tried i found great.

I have a few questions :

What research budget % should i use in order to meet AI research pace ? 

What application do you use to tweak the ressource file ? 

Thanks.

1. I don't know what budget level the AI gets, what I did was;
- increase base research rate

- lower the thresholds where research rates would be accelerated or decelerated from being too far behind or ahead [respectively] 

- lower the max bonus from max budget level

the net effect is to tighten the potential gap in research and also hopefully keep research ahead enough to give an edge but not have your enemy sailing around in pre-dreadnoughts in 1915

2.unity asset bundle extractor

• Like 2

13 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

2.unity asset bundle extractor

Could you please explain where you find the type of parameters you edited and how to change them ? 

The only tutorial i find on this app are about texture and models, nothing about databases and parameters.

I didn't find any UAD modding tutorial either beside save tweaking.

I would like to tweak UAD further in order to simplify things and the AI more competitive by :

neutering gun customisations either by limiting the sliders to -1%/+1% or fixing it by tweaking their effects.

- putting hardcaps to armor and speed limits per type of hull in order to make light ships vulnerable to themselve and prevent insanely speedy ships.

- tweaking the lighter guns in order to avoid the no firing bug : probably by dividing rpm several time and increasing damage of individual shells by as much.

- tweaking the effects of technologies to make new gun start at mk X-1 instead of mk 1, eliminate 50+knots torpedoes, make oxygen torpedoes faster, much reduce maneuvrability of later ships, remove armor layers added by citadel tech.

- removing technologies to remove 19+inch guns, most shells options, citadel tech if not tweakable.

- making research rate nearly constant for every country.

Less important :

- tweaking GDP increase to believable level.

- giving France generic mk3 turrets to replace those huge ugly boxes.

Edited by Vilab

10 hours ago, Vilab said:

Could you please explain where you find the type of parameters you edited and how to change them ? 

The only tutorial i find on this app are about texture and models, nothing about databases and parameters.

I didn't find any UAD modding tutorial either beside save tweaking.

I would like to tweak UAD further in order to simplify things and the AI more competitive by :

neutering gun customisations either by limiting the sliders to -1%/+1% or fixing it by tweaking their effects. 

- putting hardcaps to armor and speed limits per type of hull in order to make light ships vulnerable to themselve and prevent insanely speedy ships.

- tweaking the lighter guns in order to avoid the no firing bug : probably by dividing rpm several time and increasing damage of individual shells by as much.

- tweaking the effects of technologies to make new gun start at mk X-1 instead of mk 1, eliminate 50+knots torpedoes, make oxygen torpedoes faster, much reduce maneuvrability of later ships, remove armor layers added by citadel tech.

- removing technologies to remove 19+inch guns, most shells options, citadel tech if not tweakable.

- making research rate nearly constant for every country.

Less important :

- tweaking GDP increase to believable level.

- giving France generic mk3 turrets to replace those huge ugly boxes.

1. params maybe
2. shiptypes for armor limitations [i think] and partsmodels for speed limitations [i think]
3. a script issue i think not something you can fix with text files afaict
4. technologies
5. technologies
6. idk

1 hour ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Thanks, i was able to export params and technologies as "raw" with UABE and read the stuff with wordpad.

How do you replace the original params by the one you modded for exemple ? Importing on the original params removes its name and turns it into " Unnamed Asset". It is also impossible to view the file to edit its name contrary to prior import.

Sorry to bother you with the working of UABE, i really can't find any tutorial on text editing.

Edited by Vilab

38 minutes ago, Vilab said:

Thanks, i was able to export params and technologies as "raw" with UABE and read the stuff with wordpad.

How do you replace the original params by the one you modded for exemple ? Importing on the original params removes its name and turns it into " Unnamed Asset". It is also impossible to view the file to edit its name contrary to prior import.

Sorry to bother you with the working of UABE, i really can't find any tutorial on text editing.

once the file change is made and committed you cannot look at it again. You can save the file and re-open it. 

All my issues with UABE are solved, i was obviously using it wrong but figuring out how wrong took me hours.

For anyone trying out modding :

- Make a backup of the ressource ASSETS File you want to mod and put it in a different folder

- Open that backup with UABE, select the file you want to edit, plugin, export.

- edit and save it with an application such as notepad

- make sure you have the original TextAsset selected in UABE and import the edited one with the plugin option. The name must not have changed 

- still in UABE go to file, Apply and Save All, select and overwrite the original ressource ASSETS File, make sure it is still an ASSETS File.

Edited by Vilab
I was doing it wrong, importing/exporting as raw only allow editing of numerical values.

6 hours ago, Käptn_Flitschauge said:

The new update has broken the mod again

Not much I can do about that. My preference would be that, given that 1.2.4 was highly stable, 1.2.5 would have been released on the beta branch. Had I tried to update the mod for 1.2.5 i would have been overridden by two subsequent patches over the course of a day. 

Note that a game like mount and blade which has far more people working on it, and is now in official release [b/c game console] still has a split beta and live branch because bug squashing is mostly outsourced to the player base.