Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.1 Feedback<<< [RC 6]

Nick Thomadis

On 12/22/2022 at 6:39 AM, Nick Thomadis said:

- Minor allies interaction with the fleets is not fully tested. We need to know if minor allies participate in naval battles consistently (they will participate in battles near to their ports)

I was lucky to get Korea as an ally, and until the moment when the reborn France broke the game, they constantly took part in my battles. These are some of the best allies in games I've ever seen. They had 5 ships, but they tried very hard.

After the battle, the damaged ships of Korea were noted in the losses of enemy ships, but I did not notice any problems with VP.

Edited by Lima
ttypo

8 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

I'm tempted to say 'invest in UI indicators like yellow exclamation points' to alert players about the issue, and let them decide if they want the formation to fall apart or not.  But that's a lot of work for little payoff. 

A compromise solution might be be:

1. loose formation: no speed restrictions, [it's devil take the hindmost]
2. normal: leader goes at full speed but not flank speed, other ships can catch up by going at flank speed.
3. Tight: leader goes at cruise speed, other ships can easily catch up. 

I like this idea a lot, but to me it feels like it gets in the way of standard formation setting.  What are your thoughts on having this on a entirely new button next to the formation setting?  Something like Division Leader Speed Behavior where the options are exactly the same but are just called:  Flank, Full and Cruise?

Just did a custom battle to test the turning with patch 11.  1933 tech with G. Turbines II, Tall Funnels XI, Aux IV, Electro-Hydro II, Shaft IV, tried with all rudder types (no difference between them for this test), Balanced Boilers, Oil II.

I must say this is a very good improvement.  Also, the division members that are following behind the flagship no longer miss the turn by kilometers and are completing the turn behind the division leader in very short order.  This is excellent.

One thing I noticed however, is that the division members that are following the flagship do not go from left to right and right to left like the flagship does after the turn.  Earlier this was referred to as the "drunk" behavior.  This means that the rest of the division is doing what I expect, but the flagship has a different behavior entirely.  Personally, I would like to see the flagship have the same turning behavior that the other ships in the division are doing.

Overall, this is a monumental step in the right direction!

A strange thing about which I didn't take screenshots, because I thought I could do them later, but the French resistance blew up my game.

In short, I had these Chinese coastal defense ships (CA) with >50% pitch. And in good weather, they looked like they really had 50% pitch. But in bad weather (even just smooth waves), the visual pitching significantly decreased (I would say at least 5 times).

• Like 1

I downloaded an old version of the campaign, and here is the result. On calm water, the pitching of the ship is much stronger.

I haven't checked if this affects the accuracy. The enemy is constantly running away, and these ships are very slow, so it's not possible to shoot a lot, CLs do all the work.

5 hours ago, Lima said:

Free-to-build submarines

With the update, I need to drop the old test campaign, but I'll show this old bug on it again. And you can also notice the size of the shipyard.

ldkld.png

Submarines are free-to-build (FTB). Everything I said about submarines in this post is still valuable. Even worse, now if you need to land, submarines will constantly attack your forces and inflict magical damage. You can say that this is the correct behavior of submarines. Yes, but why can't my 20 destroyers keep 1 submarine away from my battleships or at least guaranteed to kill her? In short, if it is possible to at least fix FTB bug, it would be very cool.

Submarines are costing money. A bug that causes a logical exception during gameplay, may make them to not cost anything?

Do you mean that their tonnage is not considered for the shipyard limit?

2 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Submarines are costing money. A bug that causes a logical exception during gameplay, may make them to not cost anything?

Do you mean that their tonnage is not considered for the shipyard limit?

I do not know what the mistake is, but the construction of submarines does not take money from the budget. The maintenance of already built submarines will cost money, but their free construction allows AI to build them constantly. I can't say with complete certainty, because I don't build many submarines, but it seems that the tonnage of submarines is taken into account in the shipbuilding capacity.

In 1910, Italy has a shipyard size of 200,000. No country has that much. Italy also has very large shipyards on other launch dates.

The top 

15 minutes ago, Lima said:

I downloaded an old version of the campaign, and here is the result. On calm water, the pitching of the ship is much stronger.

I haven't checked if this affects the accuracy. The enemy is constantly running away, and these ships are very slow, so it's not possible to shoot a lot, CLs do all the work.

The top left hand indicators would give the accuracy modifiers. My guess is that the impact on accuracy is driven by the sea state modifiers and the bobbing of the ships is a visual phenomenon only. I think but am not certain that 'hull stability and tower' is suppose to, in part, moderate [or worsen] the impact of the sea state modifiers. 

I think the maneuvering inaccuracy works by gradually applying a debuff the longer a ship performs a turn. So people are getting very large percentages because the ships keep swerving. Worse if both the player and the enemy are stuck in turns. (Though neither ship being able to hit the other in situations like that is actually realistic, even w/ very good FC systems)

Having (and have reported) what I think is a bug.
Playing as USA, I started in 1900.
Have fought wars against Russia, Italy, and Germany.
All three sent ships to my East Coast.  But all wars ended by 1903, and in 1905 they still have ships sitting off my coast raising tension.
Their ships are not returning home.  So it looks like I"m going to get to fight all three of them again pretty soon.

4 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

The top left hand indicators would give the accuracy modifiers. My guess is that the impact on accuracy is driven by the sea state modifiers and the bobbing of the ships is a visual phenomenon only. I think but am not certain that 'hull stability and tower' is suppose to, in part, moderate [or worsen] the impact of the sea state modifiers. 

I think the maneuvering inaccuracy works by gradually applying a debuff the longer a ship performs a turn. So people are getting very large percentages because the ships keep swerving. Worse if both the player and the enemy are stuck in turns. (Though neither ship being able to hit the other in situations like that is actually realistic, even w/ very good FC systems)

I also think that this is only a visual bug, but very strange. It is difficult to check this, because the Japanese are constantly running away, and I have about 5 turns before the French uprising and hanging.

And I just went from having an alliance with France, to going to war with them.
Nothing came up saying my alliance was broken.
Nothing came up showing tension rising.
Just, war with France, out of the blue.
Inconvenient definitely.
Bug....probably?

Also: you wouldn't have the issue with ships not being able to keep formation because they're the same speed as their lead ship if we could just SET THE FORMATION BEFORE BATTLE
Make permanent taskgroups and set their formation when you set up the task group.
This would also, hopefully, prevent ships from leaving without orders to do so. Have a yellow or red icon attached to the taskgroup to indicate the worst state of ship that's in it.

• Like 1

From my observation, the AI does weigh defense of its home waters far to little, ensuring that if I play in Europe, I can largely dominate the sea since there is no tast force of significant size to oppose me.

I think you should look into a way of making the AI defend itself properly instead of sending their entire navy overseas

I used to think that AI retreats if the naval superiority in the region is on my side. This can explain their retreat when attacking a convoy off my coast, although there is little logic in this. But there are battles like this. I have no ships in the Sea of Japan, they have a lot of transports and numerical superiority. Why are they running away, just why?

2023-01-04-21-16-10.png

Well, in so far as naval invasions.

The Good News
As the US, I was able to capture Heligoland from Germany.

The Bad News
Capturing Heligoland from Germany was a truly biblical F-up, as now I'm losing dozens of transports a turn in the North Atlantic.

Edited by Kane

I think naval invasions have improved. I think I would be able to capture Okinawa, but I can't say for sure because this bug appeared.

The problem is that this hung fight has an invasion TF involved and when I feed it to the gods of auto-resolve, the invasion will have problems.

Edited by Lima
T

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Well, in so far as naval invasions.

The Good News
As the US, I was able to capture Heligoland from Germany.

The Bad News
Capturing Heligoland from Germany was a truly biblical F-up, as now I'm losing dozens of transports a turn in the North Atlantic.

Hoo boy I made the mistake of taking Sakhalin in a peace treat with Russia as Italy in the mid 1900s and it's going to take me a decade to get ships over there to protect that area. I'd be better off losing the territory. But, that's my mess up...

The game feels better today, though. I did just experience the "Yes" menu option bug but it was after way more turns than I was experiencing before. 

I already reported this in game.

Playing as Japan with my standard setup:  1890, historical enemies, normal difficulty, selective and create own fleet.

Unable to move ships from Muroran and Naha to Sasebo as the "Move" button is greyed out.  Ship type and number does not seem to matter.  All other starting Japanese ports work just fine.

My current thinking is that this is related to the "Yes" button issue others are reporting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PoB said:

Hoo boy I made the mistake of taking Sakhalin in a peace treat with Russia as Italy in the mid 1900s and it's going to take me a decade to get ships over there to protect that area. I'd be better off losing the territory. But, that's my mess up...

I did the same thing as Japan earlier.  Kicked Germany so hard I got every single port outside of mainland Germany and the one in China (wasn't an option in reparations, probably a bug).  Next war, I was losing over 20 transports a turn.  RIP that campaign.

Well, I did manage to capture Okinawa (although my fleet was very badly damaged by auto-resolve). This is a very big improvement.

As I understand it, this is an invasion by the French, who started a war with me. But it is displayed for me.

09129.jpg

The problem is that now this campaign is hanging on every battle. So I will not continue it, I will run out of fleet in auto-resolve fights.

1 minute ago, Suribachi said:

I did the same thing as Japan earlier.  Kicked Germany so hard I got every single port outside of mainland Germany and the one in China (wasn't an option in reparations, probably a bug).  Next war, I was losing over 20 transports a turn.  RIP that campaign.

I play as Germany and have several ports on each continent and don't suffer from any noticebale transport loss ever.