Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.09+ Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

On 12/8/2022 at 8:57 PM, Stephensan said:

Interesting

The person that did the most videos and post popular CC posted this yesterday:

Stealth17 Gaming with 575 Videos on This Game Said This:

Hey guys, I've just recorded my last video for Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts.

It will be airing on Monday.

"Last episode?!" Yes.

The game is a complete mess right now with a ton of game-breaking bugs that make it entirely unenjoyable for me to play and for you to watch.

I simply cannot make good content with the current version of Dreadnoughts. Over the past 2 years I've had a lot of fun with Dreadnoughts but it's time to move on as the game is not worth playing/buying right now.

With that, what comes next? I'd like your input on that. What game would you like to see me feature on the channel? 

I hope this gets approved by the moderators, this speaks volume for feedback of 1.09, one of the most biggest CC's besides people like Brother Munro at 505 videos, is just straight up quitting creating content for this game due to the issues.

You look up on youtube and just type in "ultimate admiral dreadnoughts" and see Both Brother Munro, and Stealth17, with one or two other content creators sprinkled here and there with majority of "front" page being Stealth17, with even his CHANNEL being the first thing that comes up, even on a vpn and a "incognito" tab to remove all the cookies, and location Stealth17 is there on the front page as if he was the only CC there.

With Stealth17 having 38,881,705 views on his channel, while the second place with amount of videos being again, BrotherMunro at a smaller size of 3,474,750, it is clear that Stealth17 was a large CC for this game in total, while BrotherMunro, even if his content was great, and almost as large as Stealth17 in amount of video, a large content creator leaving due to bugs, and overall disappointment is going to leave a large amount of free publicity, and aswell youtube content removed due to the issues.

I purchased the game due to Stealth17, and now he is just quitting the game due to issues..

It speaks alot about how 1.09 is at.

14 hours ago, Branman said:

Stealth had an extremely damning video posted today. Short version is he is done with the game. 

I am very sad it has come to this. I've been a big advocate of Dreadnoughts. I've hopefully shown how good the game can be and how far it still has to go. 

When a lot of game breaking bugs are resolved (I always write bug reports) I might return to the game. Therein lies the caveat: throughout the two years that I've covered and followed the game I've seen a lot of "we've fixed X bug" in patch notes and more times than I'd like the bugs simply weren't resolved. Victory points being misattributed, ships fleeting battles, the formation system: I've seen they were fixed or improved a lot of times only to be disappointed. 

I hope the devs will surprise me with a complete turnaround of the game and its bugs. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Technology report long run

Well, this is 1947 (1890 start) and in the long run you can see the speed of technology research. I've never used research acceleration, and I've had the maximum technology slider all the time. As you know, since the 1930s I began to notice problems with the unexpected overweight of my ships. And I think that's the reason.

Hull construction reduces weight very much. However, it is developing slowly (because there are also technologies that are responsible for reducing flaws). 

2022-12-14-17-27-28.png

On the other hand, various technologies that increase weight are developing very quickly. There is a bug with the date display in technology, it is "1932" that has been shown for a long time, although the technology is changing.

2022-12-14-17-27-49.png

Armor research speed is very slow, for example, it is difficult to get Harvey's armor when it was in history. This is extremely noticeable for AI designs.

2022-12-14-17-28-08.png

Endgame report

In fact, the endgame is quite good. The sandbox works well, but there are a couple of problems.

1. Ai is very poor (constant wars, convoy losses).
  2. Undead free-to-build submarines.
  3. A LOT of mines. For this I have a lot of DD minesweepers, 3-4 per capital ship. At this point, the game turns into Ultimate Admiral: Destroyers.
  4. Game speed is not very good, entering "Fleet" tab takes a lot of time (600 ships lul, but I am sorry, mines are not a  joke), as well as entering tab "Ship designs" tab (about 20 refits/projects). It would be very nice to be able to rename the ship directly on the TF or in the port. For example, the ship somehow distinguished herself in battle and I want to name it. I need to go to the fleet screen and find her there among her 500 sister ships with names P-XX.

I have to say that the speed of the game is not so bad right now. It is just not very good and I am very afraid that with the introduction of minor countries it will get much worse. But we have examples when everything is really bad (Victoria 3 says hello) and if the turn is long, but there will be no critical bugs, I will be satisfied.

2022-12-14-17-44-44.png

Edited by Lima

Just an incredible amount of pain on SPain. The war has been going on for 20 turns. At best, there is one battle per turn. At best, it's a battle for my convoy. In all other battles, the enemy runs away. Their ships have a larger displacement and they are more expensive, I just don't understand why this is happening. The interaction of TF is in a terrible state. But not only that, compared to all my walkthroughs, ships from ports generate very few missions. A turn counts for a very long time. I think the game just can't handle a huge number of TF (like 50 for the US).

2022-12-15-03-31-27.png

On 12/14/2022 at 5:42 AM, Lima said:

Technology report long run

Well, this is 1947 (1890 start) and in the long run you can see the speed of technology research. I've never used research acceleration, and I've had the maximum technology slider all the time. As you know, since the 1930s I began to notice problems with the unexpected overweight of my ships. And I think that's the reason.

Hull construction reduces weight very much. However, it is developing slowly (because there are also technologies that are responsible for reducing flaws). 

2022-12-14-17-27-28.png

On the other hand, various technologies that increase weight are developing very quickly. There is a bug with the date display in technology, it is "1932" that has been shown for a long time, although the technology is changing.

2022-12-14-17-27-49.png

Armor research speed is very slow, for example, it is difficult to get Harvey's armor when it was in history. This is extremely noticeable for AI designs.

2022-12-14-17-28-08.png

I checked the 'technologies' text assets and, assuming:

1. The game has a 'time ahead penalty' 
2.  'difficulty' is the default months to research a tech [50% budget and no time ahead/behind penalty] 

You'll find that the sum of months across a particular tech type goes from 57 (submarine experiments) all the way up to 175 years (main battery). The difficulty ratings sometimes accounts for the time between, say, a 1890 tech and a 1892 tech but it doesn't account for the *number* of 1890 techs that are all queueing up to be researched. So you end up with 4-8 years of research being crammed in a 2 year gap.

This is why main guns are such torture to research. The default difficulty is 35 months, but new gun techs are unlocked for the potential to be researched at a rate close to .5-1 per year. 

If I don't see any mention of technology research time updates for 1.10 I will try to work on a mod which cuts the difficulty ratings down (by roughly a factor of 1.5 to 3 depending on the tech type) so that the default is somewhere close to 50 years for each tech type and the difficulties account for the number of techs in a year and the gap between years. But my fingers are crossed that I won't have to do that. 

I recall Nick answering my question about research times close to a year ago that the current campaigns are not designed for full 1890-1940 so we would just have to wait until the campaign was more feature complete. This latest patch sounds closer to the ideal. Fingers crossed. 

Japanese campaign 1890, December 1939.

Now at the point where every turn it is getting tied up on Update Missions.

3 major powers have long since dissolved, China, Italy and France. There are 6 of us left.

Into 1941 now - 8 times I've had to use task manager to exit the game since Dec. 1939. And it gets worse as the campaign progresses. It's every turn now.

In the October to November turn of 1941, it did NOT require me to use task manager. So I overwrote the save file just in case. November to December, again no problem progressing the turn. So I saved the campaign in a second slot. It seems to have cleared up finally.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

Japanese campaign finished, 1890 - 1950.

Same deal with economics - when I bypass turbines on my ships and refit only diesels, my economy and budget remain very high and easily manageable. When I refit the turbo-electric drives on my ships, it seems every future update is cumulative. Fleet maintenance costs spiral out of control. At peace, my late-game Japan was enjoying a monthly naval budget of nearly 500 million. 2.6 billion at war. With the largest fleet I've built in a long time. And it was only increasing. There were no ports that couldn't fit the fleet including super battleships.

Between 1900 and 1925, Russia was consistently blockading me while having a significant disadvantage in tonnage in Northeast Asia. I still haven't figured that out. At one point my power projection was well over 100k, and the Russians had me under blockade with 345.

Submarines keep fleets from moving and attack military vessels. That is the limit of their usefulness. There comes a point where my submarine technology is maxed and few others have even begun deploying countermeasures, where they are very effective. By 1940 all subs are obsolete since they don't have any power against enemy merchant vessels and are easily dispatched. At that point in the game the only subs worth anything are mining submarines.

The Japanese Modern Heavy Cruiser III has gun encasements that allow torpedo launchers in them. I'm fairly sure this is by design. I certainly used them for that purpose with excellent results.

My 20 inch guns were firing and hitting consistently more than 9x the distance to the horizon. I love those guns.

My torpedoes had such a long range, often when the battle loaded and I turned my flagship toward the enemy, my fleet was already dumping torpedoes and I was in danger of getting whacked. 25+km range on oxygen fueled torpedoes is awesome, but there is often not enough time to turn them off before they are already in the water. I'm wondering if it's better to have torpedo ships have torpedoes turned off upon arrival in a battle?

This is the 2nd campaign in a row in which I was able to finish it, with the same problem occurring - the game would start seizing up at Update missions around 1939 and would start happening every turn by the 1940s. It cleared each time by late 1941, but there is a point in between where every turn I need to use task manager and reload the game.

The same issues as before arise in ship design - as time passes, the ships must be refit because they are now overweight due to tech advancements. The only saving grace is, by that point Armor Forging and Armor Quality along with Manufacturing improvements are easily achieved. It eases up after Modern Armor II. But some tech advancements are difficult to achieve the next one and I'm not sure this is what the designers want.

I play on normal difficulty only. The reason for this - is that the game is still in beta. To me it's habit forming. And like the next guy I like to play on highest difficulty, but if it's not working properly on regular difficulty it needs someone out there helping to fine-tune it at that level.

And to that end Politics must be addressed. There is too big of a hit to relations when a single ship is passing one of my adjacent sea zones. It also places some powers, like Italy or Austria-Hungary, at a huge economic disadvantage. Permanent states of war are hurtful to the economy and will get your nation dissolved inevitably. Somehow, though, Austria-Hungary manages to survive and thrive in my campaigns. Their economy is far out of what I expect historically, and more often than not I witness them having 150+ ship navies AND positive economic growth during a state of war. I would rather Politics were balanced correctly than this, since AH is always abusing the other powers. In my campaign, AH managed to end up in a war with Japan without EVER passing naval vessels near my adjacent sea zones. The closest I saw them was off the east cost of Africa. So I'm not sure what's happening there, but AH is broken and needs review.

At any rate that's good enough for now and for this campaign. Good hunting.

EDIT - one more thing - many ports are inaccessible to their owners due to them being too close together, or rather, their map signature is too large. Examples of this - the French can't seem to get ships into Tunis. They all go to Bizerte instead unless dumping in for repairs. Colon and Balboa are another example. Emden and Wilhelmshaven are quite a pain as is Helgoland. Port map signatures need to be reduced to inside the flag on the map and no further.

Edited by Admiral Donuts

1 hour ago, Admiral Donuts said:

Japanese campaign finished, 1890 - 1950.

Same deal with economics - when I bypass turbines on my ships and refit only diesels, my economy and budget remain very high and easily manageable. When I refit the turbo-electric drives on my ships, it seems every future update is cumulative. Fleet maintenance costs spiral out of control. At peace, my late-game Japan was enjoying a monthly naval budget of nearly 500 million. 2.6 billion at war. With the largest fleet I've built in a long time. And it was only increasing. There were no ports that couldn't fit the fleet including super battleships.

Between 1900 and 1925, Russia was consistently blockading me while having a significant disadvantage in tonnage in Northeast Asia. I still haven't figured that out. At one point my power projection was well over 100k, and the Russians had me under blockade with 345.

Submarines keep fleets from moving and attack military vessels. That is the limit of their usefulness. There comes a point where my submarine technology is maxed and few others have even begun deploying countermeasures, where they are very effective. By 1940 all subs are obsolete since they don't have any power against enemy merchant vessels and are easily dispatched. At that point in the game the only subs worth anything are mining submarines.

The Japanese Modern Heavy Cruiser III has gun encasements that allow torpedo launchers in them. I'm fairly sure this is by design. I certainly used them for that purpose with excellent results.

My 20 inch guns were firing and hitting consistently more than 9x the distance to the horizon. I love those guns.

My torpedoes had such a long range, often when the battle loaded and I turned my flagship toward the enemy, my fleet was already dumping torpedoes and I was in danger of getting whacked. 25+km range on oxygen fueled torpedoes is awesome, but there is often not enough time to turn them off before they are already in the water. I'm wondering if it's better to have torpedo ships have torpedoes turned off upon arrival in a battle?

This is the 2nd campaign in a row in which I was able to finish it, with the same problem occurring - the game would start seizing up at Update missions around 1939 and would start happening every turn by the 1940s. It cleared each time by late 1941, but there is a point in between where every turn I need to use task manager and reload the game.

The same issues as before arise in ship design - as time passes, the ships must be refit because they are now overweight due to tech advancements. The only saving grace is, by that point Armor Forging and Armor Quality along with Manufacturing improvements are easily achieved. It eases up after Modern Armor II. But some tech advancements are difficult to achieve the next one and I'm not sure this is what the designers want.

I play on normal difficulty only. The reason for this - is that the game is still in beta. To me it's habit forming. And like the next guy I like to play on highest difficulty, but if it's not working properly on regular difficulty it needs someone out there helping to fine-tune it at that level.

And to that end Politics must be addressed. There is too big of a hit to relations when a single ship is passing one of my adjacent sea zones. It also places some powers, like Italy or Austria-Hungary, at a huge economic disadvantage. Permanent states of war are hurtful to the economy and will get your nation dissolved inevitably. Somehow, though, Austria-Hungary manages to survive and thrive in my campaigns. Their economy is far out of what I expect historically, and more often than not I witness them having 150+ ship navies AND positive economic growth during a state of war. I would rather Politics were balanced correctly than this, since AH is always abusing the other powers. In my campaign, AH managed to end up in a war with Japan without EVER passing naval vessels near my adjacent sea zones. The closest I saw them was off the east cost of Africa. So I'm not sure what's happening there, but AH is broken and needs review.

At any rate that's good enough for now and for this campaign. Good hunting.

How much of the tech tree are you able to keep up with by 1940?

52 minutes ago, Lima said:

In 1907 (1890 start), China was dissolved. It seems this is the fourth campaign where this is happening. They have very heavy losses of transports and a very weak fleet.

China is in a very weak position, smallest economy, doesn't surprise me. Kind of why I like playing china as my own campaign.

Designer bug

Well, I decided to play for China.

2022-12-17-22-41-35.png

During the battle, the main battery did not fire. I went to the designer and...???

2022-12-17-23-04-17.png

Edit: I tried redit 

2022-12-17-23-08-22.png

This is the craziest bug I've seen so far in this game. No, I didn't interrupt the game.

Design OK

2022-12-17-23-12-44.png

Edited by Lima
  • Like 1

After playing various campaigns both with the last major update, and this one. I think truce timers are in desperate need of being added since the amount of wars that start a year later after you've finnished and when your in the middle of another can become a grind.

• Like 1

Haven't played for a long time.

Submarines, mines, big map and etc etc is good. Announced new features good too.

But why you didn't fix old annoying flaws, with AI especially?

After 4 or 5 hours i got finally decent battle where AI choose not to run for his lives - ofc, bcs it's not 1v1 and he have advantage a little. But why you even spawn this retarded 1v1 missions, where we should waste a lot of our time to catch or not catch enemy? Just don't spawn mission if AI will run, it's better.

Why you didn't fix vision system? "Smoke at north bla-bla-bla" very irritate, we should be able to at least see that smoke. And stealth ships is just retarded, like combat AI.

Tell me, how 5 CL and 5 TB can even survive vs 120 ships?

But they not only survive, they kill more than half of this fleet in 6 hours, and only out of time stop this carnage.

I have literally 0 interest in this gameplay, and i think you guys should work on core gameplay instead of adding more features.

Ah, also forgot retarded balance.

Is it SO hard to make exel sheet and calculate weight and stats?

Why 8.9" have 70-80% aim on 1k distance, when 7.9" have 19%, 8" have 14% and 9" have 23%?

Why casemate 4.9" have weight 79t and 5" have weight 36t?

I told this a lot of time ago, and as i see you guys do nothing with this. But we have mines, wow, all hail mines!

1.jpg

Edited by jkl
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, jkl said:

Haven't played for a long time.

Submarines, mines, big map and etc etc is good. Announced new features good too.

But why you didn't fix old annoying flaws, with AI especially?

After 4 or 5 hours i got finally decent battle where AI choose not to run for his lives - ofc, bcs it's not 1v1 and he have advantage a little. But why you even spawn this retarded 1v1 missions, where we should waste a lot of our time to catch or not catch enemy? Just don't spawn mission if AI will run, it's better.

Why you didn't fix vision system? "Smoke at north bla-bla-bla" very irritate, we should be able to at least see that smoke. And stealth ships is just retarded, like combat AI.

Tell me, how 5 CL and 5 TB can even survive vs 120 ships?

But they not only survive, they kill more than half of this fleet in 6 hours, and only out of time stop this carnage.

I have literally 0 interest in this gameplay, and i think you guys should work on core gameplay instead of adding more features.

Ah, also forgot retarded balance.

Is it SO hard to make exel sheet and calculate weight and stats?

Why 8.9" have 70-80% aim on 1k distance, when 7.9" have 19%, 8" have 14% and 9" have 23%?

Why casemate 4.9" have weight 79t and 5" have weight 36t?

I told this a lot of time ago, and as i see you guys do nothing with this. But we have mines, wow, all hail mines!

1.jpg

Running away AI is just terrible. I can still take it in duel battles, but if I'm attacked on the global map, AI shouldn't run away.

I think with the addition of shared designs such impossible battles will become a thing of the past (assuming that Ai will be able to build exactly the same ships as mine, and I have a lot of questions about this).

7 minutes ago, Lima said:

I think with the addition of shared designs such impossible battles will become a thing of the past (assuming that Ai will be able to build exactly the same ships as mine, and I have a lot of questions about this).

It's mostly not design, it's AI behavior pattern. 

s.jpg.f8c182fa4cd49e4a5449343b970b685f.j