Game-Labs Forum

Upcoming “Update v1.09” News [07/10/2022]

Nick Thomadis

1 hour ago, Zuikaku said:

Subs are needed but gun length is overpowered feature at the moment.

In a way I find this interesting,  I tend to *TRY* to run Historical builds as best I can... I tend to use Historical gun caliber/lengths and I often find the guns are FAR too short in range and penetration power.  

Also the smaller caliber guns, the ones that NEED the really long barrels never get them.    I want to make the 3"/70 US/UK guns but you can't.  

All that being said, a few take-aways.

1) currently Hit locations are still kinda-borked in game so judging Gun damage vs Torpedo Damage vs whatever is not accurate at all to really compare/contrast with

2) Looking at Gun performance, the guns are always SHORTER in range by a large margin than real world equivalents utilizing the same powder and shell combos as real life.

3) several of the Powders in use should have a very high spontaneous explosion chance due to shock, that should only be mitigated by Crew training.

5 hours ago, Zuikaku said:

Exactly, even after the patch I will be very gad to turn off this "FeAtUrE" for me is walking bug. 

Let's wait, I have good hope about that. 

7 minutes ago, Narbar said:

To be fair I think they have listened to feedback, people were not happy with releasing buggy updates in the past.  So I think they are doing the right thing

I agree. I have no problems with Games  Labs waiting until they have a decent release.  It would be nice though if they dropped a quick heads up along the lines of 'Release delayed due to <reason>'.

Going forward I hope they do no more than one update a week, except in extraordinary circumstances (e.g. the last update broke the game) and that they do a weekly status update. The  status updates could be as simple as 'next update on time/delayed/ expected <day>'.

I don't think they realise that silence before a delayed release does more damage than the delay. Delays can't be helped but communication is easy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kjg000 said:

I agree. I have no problems with Games  Labs waiting until they have a decent release.  It would be nice though if they dropped a quick heads up along the lines of 'Release delayed due to <reason>'.

I would also like this, although knowing internet people they're damned if they do and damned if they don't lol 

Edited by Makko
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 10:12 PM, Zuikaku said:

I'd say fractional gun sizes and lengths are more important than subs with the caveat that they do need some tweaking. 

Subs are hard to get right without making them too powerful.  The submersibles of this era relied heavily on luck in being in the right place at the right time. They could barely manoeuvre while submerged and couldn't stay submerged for long. In game I'd expect a significant replacement cost each turn to reflect the high attrition rate.

I also can't see the justification for including subs but not air power, implemented in a similar way. This would include land based and CV based aircraft as well as scout planes when carried on capital ships. Aircraft also were perhaps the greatest deterrent against subs in costal waters especially when you consider that shallow submerged subs could often be seen,  and attacked  from the air.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kjg000 said:

I'd say fractional gun sizes and lengths are more important than subs with the caveat that they do need some tweaking. 

Subs are hard to get right without making them too powerful.  The submersibles of this era relied heavily on luck in being in the right place at the right time. They could barely manoeuvre while submerged and couldn't stay submerged for long. In game I'd expect a significant replacement cost each turn to reflect the high attrition rate.

I also can't see the justification for including subs but not air power, implemented in a similar way. This would include land based and CV based aircraft as well as scout planes when carried on capital ships. Aircraft also were perhaps the greatest deterrent against subs in costal waters especially when you consider that shallow submerged subs could often be seen,  and attacked  from the air.

yea forced to agree, the earliest naval use of air power was sea planes to help look for subs in WW1