Game-Labs Forum

>>> v1.06-1.08+ Feedback<<<(17/8/2022)

10 hours ago, PainKiller said:

Have you tried putting your guns to agressive? If the hit chances are too low on normal, they will not fire. That dd seems to be very fast, so i can imagine this is your problem.

That can't be it since the mains are still firing, they have slow traverse, slower aiming, etc. if anything mains would stop first, would never get a firing solution first. 

Edited by Skeksis

Been lurking on the forum and playing this game since before it came to steam. Just want to give a shout out to the devs for their continued work on the game. It is has come so far and look forward to the next iterations. Amazing game! I always play the betas and will strive to give more feedback than just bug reports in the future betas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skeksis said:

That can't be it since the mains are still firing, they have slow traverse, slower aiming, etc. if anything mains would stop first, would never get a firing solution first. 

Yes it is. All guns with less 0.3% accuracy will not engage the target unless you set to agressive.

The main guns are working fine because in this situation, the accuracy value, at this distance is enough for them to start firing. (Above the minimum 0.3% at normal condition)

29 minutes ago, o Barão said:

Yes it is. All guns with less 0.3% accuracy will not engage the target unless you set to agressive.

The main guns are working fine because in this situation, the accuracy value, at this distance is enough for them to start firing. (Above the minimum 0.3% at normal condition)

Target Fast Speed, Target Manoeuvre and Target Ship Size combine total is what’s at fault here, stopping guns from firing.

Fault because that’s not good gameplay. You're supportive of status quo?

Edited by Skeksis

16 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Target Fast Speed, Target Manoeuvre and Target Ship Size combine total is what’s at fault here, stopping guns from firing.

Fault because that’s not good gameplay. You agree with the frustrations alot of players are reporting regarding this, you're supportive?

The only fault here is the player not using the aggressive option to force them to work if they want to. The system in general works very well and this is to prevent the ship to waste ammo in unrealistic situations.  This is clear, not a bug. It is a game feature since the beginning.  Now, the game manual doesn't explain how this works, and for that I understand the confusion with this.

OZJTa2l.jpg

The manual mentions range when it is instead the accuracy values that matters.

Now, if you want to discuss the accuracy values nerf against small ships, that is another topic and not relevant to what is important here.

Edited by o Barão

1 hour ago, o Barão said:

values nerf against small ships, that is another topic

It’s the same topic, if mains can firer so should the secondaries and if secondaries can firer on a targets further away, they should be able to firer on closer targets. 

Edited by Skeksis

6 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

It’s the same topic, if mains can firer so should the secondaries. 

This is wrong by two different reasons.

• range
  • accuracy values

The range is easy to explain. The higher the caliber gun, the longer the distance a gun can shoot (NOTE: applying the gun barrel length/ shell size/ propellant modifiers can get you different results) In short, it is normal to get main guns able to engage targets far away, where the secondaries simply don't have the range to work.

The accuracy values changes according to the gun you are using. Let's say your ship is targeting a small ship at 5km away.

Lt1K6pK.jpg

The tiny stock 2-inch guns mark 3 will have only 0.9% base value at those distances.

xNQAbEr.jpg

However, the 12-inch have 13%. Big difference.

Now apply the penalty modifiers by targeting a small target, doing maneuvers, using smoke, waves, crew experience, range finder control, etc, etc, etc.... (so many modifiers to take into account) and you can easily get into a situation where your main guns still have a good chance to hit the target but for your secondaries is so bad that is best to stop to not waste ammo. (this happens when is below 0.3%)

So, the reason why is not working in those situations is very easy to understand. However, the game allows the player to set the guns to agressive. This will allow to waste ammo trying to get a lucky hit.

The mechanic works very well in this regard and gives the player the option to change the guns behavior. There is no reason to complain here.

29 minutes ago, Iuvenalis said:

I've never had this before. No matter what I do, my GPD just keeps shrinking faster and faster every turn. I have the investment in transports at 100%. I am not blockaded. What am I doing wrong?

image.thumb.png.ab1967dbf3bc6396b78a0b083bfd186c.png

Did you send a bug report? Can be important for the devs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The PC Collector said:

I have seen torpedoes doing very strange things, like suddenly turning 90º away from the target in a completely random way. Is that a bug, or ot is part of the battery of torpedo nerfs?

It is part of the nerf.

I noticed weird thing many times, my battleship got secondary tower destroyed (or primary or even funnels), but then enemies were shooting it further and shots in the already destroyed non-critical part of the ship still cause thousands of damage. What is even there to damage further? I get if that would be hull part, but it is superstructure.

Do i really have to armor it like the damn citadel to prevent my ship getting demolished?

• Like 3

So in the 1890 campaign, iron armor vs compound armor seems to be broken.

The increased effective armor protection vs. the weight added to go compound doesn't justify compound armor. The armor effectiveness should be +125% on compound vs. iron (-25% iron vs +35% compound, so 0.75 vs 1.35, 1.35-0.75 = 0.6, 0.75/0.6=1.25). Yet, on my BB my main belt armor weight for 10in of iron is 283t vs 10in of compound is 1316t!  That's 465% more weight for 125% of additional armor effectiveness. Instead, I can get the same effective armor with 22.5in of iron armor for only 637t. I could max out the main belt at 35in and its still under 1000t with iron.

Further, iron armor is supposed give -15% hull form, yet my engine weight doesn't increase or decrease when I change the armor type. Shouldn't a lesser hull form require a more powerful engine for the same design speed?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, o Barão said:

There is no reason to complain here

That’s your opinion. Mine is with so many players who don’t understand, cataloged by those “complains”, albeit it a lack of knowledge, is there nothing Dev’s can do.

The lack of understanding is bought about by (average) players applying common sense to situations and coming up with zero answers. That’s called 'frustration' and it is relevant.  

Edited by Skeksis

Hi all, decided to write down longer post with suggestion after very interesting campaign i had. Sorry for my always a bit broken english i am not native speaker, but i do have to write alooooot here.

So i started as i always do 1890 AH game on legendary, usually due to the work i am unable to finish anything (no time to spent more then 2h playing and usually in the mean time there is update reseting progress). This time i had a bit of free time and no update came up so i was able to spent a bit more time on the campaign about 7 houers? Not sure how much but 12 years and 3 wars passed in the game.

First war was brif it was one battle against doomstack of France that decided to go to war with me - My ships were in port for the whole duration of pre war time so no tensions from me... - even tho france and UK were busy being demolished by Germany.

I fought one battle agains doomstack - 50 ships, which were butchered by my navy. They asked for pece after battle

Next war was also provoked by france this time it was after it lost a war against Germany (i think) there was no doomstack present - alot of small scale confrontations. It was war that lasted for 14 months and alot of auto resolve was done. Cannot say much about it other then i won. Its suprising that France started slander in Random Events... one could assume they will be more... agreable...

Last war in which i parking fleet outside their ports for some time started with 2-3 houer battle against their doomstack.

I must admit i had alot of fun but there are still things i think that should be fixed.

Chellange for this game i decided to use was using all 3 focus reserch giving me very unequall tech grow. It only deepens feeling that in current situation tech growth is a bit broken but it is not as bad as people think it is.
Here are my suggestions on how to fix that
1 - Lower bonus and penalty for manual focus in reserch
2 - Let us build National Naval institute and build labs in it towards certain types of reserch, influencing time needed to reserch those techs and giving us good place to spent cash which is in huge excess (i am able to right now field 50 modern bb and 40 tbs and still have more cash)

AI tends to have obsolete fleet
1 - In my current game AI fielded 1893 designs in 1900 combat which is still on the border of being ok, but due to the tech growth especially in the early game those were obsolete to the point of note being threat. AI should make refit evry 2-3 years
2 - Lifespans of the ship is very short - effective ship will have less then 6-5 years while 10 year old ship is beyond obsolete. In real life ship has about 20 year life spans that can be increased to max of 30-40 (if you are desperate). I think that refit process should be made far easier and in some cases even made to be done with push of one button to place entire class of the ship in a way for modernisation

More sliders!
1 - We need separated slider for crew training and crew recruitment
2 - We need aditional slider for naval industrial growth in which we inffluence increace in Naval infrustructure such as port capacity or repair capacity

1a - Slider in ship design for size of fire control room
2b - Slider in ship design for size of machinery section

Administrative decisions
1 - We need to be able to make some administrative decisions concerning navy - such as selary, quality of life for a sailor type of training and soo on

More hulls in early game
1 - We really need more hulls

Ability to switch betwean ongoing wars in the war window
1 - I was stuck watching UK vs Germany when i myself was in the middle of the war

AI is incapable of using big fleet
1 - AI is using fleet as a enrmous blob. It should be able to use seperate classes independently. It should use TBs as a agresive suiacidal swarm, CLs as big capable destroyers, not to use entire fleet as big mob easly picked out by superiour ships

Cmmunication technology should be one of the most important
1 - Give us option of fog of war that is dependent on the location of ouer task forces and if ships have radio/radar
2 - Prehaps put limits on task force size dependent on communication equipment on the ships?

Rebalance the weights
1 - Please... Radio that weight not 10 tones but over 1000 tones is a bit on the heavy size...

2  - 200 tones TB speed 31.9 = 197 tones, 32 =265 tones
0.1 kn increase is equall to doubles engine size on that thing??

Indicate optimal ship speed for ships
1 - Please just put it as a line in the hull selection...

Allow us to delate ship blueprint
1 - Please, if the is no ship, and force AI to do the same to avoid problems

Give us general ship construction technology
1 - something that would decrease time and money spent in the dockyard while increasing speed in which naval infrastructure is imporved (look into one of the points above)

More hulls are desperatly needed in 1890 start
1 - As i sayed - really needed

Bugs with 8 inch turrets not shooting
1 - i have to admit i had it

More things in designer to shape ships
1 - We need to have still more freedom to create things, prahaps by having more components, prehaps by having more hulls but i would love to be able to modify hull ans superstructure elements in the designer, even after choosing certain ones, i am for example fan of the tumblehome and it should allow me to have option to design ship in this shape, after all i am the one that is suposed to controll navy :)

Thank you for your hard work, game is cooming up fine in my opinion. Enjoying it alot

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Skeksis said:

It’s the same topic, if mains can firer so should the secondaries and if secondaries can firer on a targets further away, they should be able to firer on closer targets. 

I'm assuming you modified gun barrel length? By default that makes no sense. With the new gun barrels and caliber shenanigans, it also doesn't make much sense either.

However if you're talking about the aim bug, that 100% needs to be fixed.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:09 AM, Nick Thomadis said:

*v1.08.1 Hotfix*  [14/7/2022]

• Fixed major bug of the new citadel mechanics which affected the penetration calculations and damage. For example, you could notice impossible deck penetrations at very close range. Now the system should provide consistent penetration calculations utilizing properly the angle of hit.

The penetration ballistics are really fixed now, thank you a lot !

Had quite some little fun in an Germany Campaign from 1890 to 1902 so far (still going).
I was also surprised that the French AI was quite capable in building a really nice Pre Dreadnought Battleship.
My mistake was to put 3 funnels on the german Battleship 1 design for redundancy, but also for 100% engine efficiency for 18 Knots. In the end the French Battleship had, although having smaller main gun caliber (and therefore less aim% on the gun itself) much better hitrate because of less smoke interference. Had to draw my ships back to port and wait for the redesign.

One thing I would like to mention are Light and Heavy Cruisers in the 1890 campaign. I tried for ours to get a good design which can hit something 1m away, but they have so incredible low hitrate no matter what I do that I simply dont find a single use for light or heavy cruisers.

Would be really nice to use those designs for something. I would like to use especially light cruisers as screening and anti torpedo boat ships, with lots of small caliber guns, but a hitrate of under 1% + pitch/roll instability + smoke interference even with one funnel and extremely slow engines like even 16 knots, makes them quite unusable.

Therefore I currently build only BBs with some cannon fodder TBs as support.
I also used my 3 Research points mostly for Boilers, Fire Control and secondary guns, but so far in 1902, even with early oil boilers, mark2 secondary guns and good funnels their hitrate is too low. 

• Like 1

Again I am curious just what does it take to keep your crew above trained?  I have funded crew at 75% (I don't need anymore crew) I haven't mothballed any of my ships and all of my ships have been in major battles that required lots of damage repair AND dealt at least 60K damage between mains and secondary.  I checked and it said they were seasoned at the end of the battle but the very next battle after repairs they are back down to trained.

I am also thinking the economy is broken (At least for German/Legendary) since I can't keep 22 battleships crewed in or out of port and make any money if I keep the crew up and at least 50% research (With the merchant slider all the way) over 110% and I still lose money every turn.  

On 7/18/2022 at 4:45 PM, Fangoriously said:

I was holding a steady course as much as possible, and making slight course corrections to keep all main guns in arc, they have extremely good fireing arcs but at that precise moment of the screenshot the front guns might not have been able to shoot. But this is one screen shot among a few hours of hopeless gunnery on a class of ship that should have impeccable accuracy, and in previous game versions even with a mediocre crew, having such high hull stability & towers meant your ship could acquire and hit targets very reliably. Its acting more like a 1900 design with a hull stability & tower score of 0, not over 100.

In several missions Id watch countless 9 gun salvos go out at only medium range targets, and aiming progress wouldn't move from 0%, it would even show -100% progress some times. Chance to hit in the single digits, wile an AI BB with abysmal stats, 50+ weight offset, pitch in the 30s, and 2 salvos of fire from like 4 guns and they had me locked with a 20% chance to hit. My ships spend 80% of a battle not sighted in on anything and are easily overwhelmed by smaller ships they used to be able to in annihilate in older versions.

I'm abandoning this campaign, these BBs I build for this campaign are helpless despite how good their stats are and how well built they are. gonna try again with 15in based guns next time, on top of whatever other bugs there might be, 16in+ guns even at mk3 are nearly unusable because of how bad their base stats are. I only used them this time because the tower stats and pitch score of only 17 should have made them usable. it didn't.

more screenshots

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

As a follow up to this post, the campaign with the 15in guns goes very well, i decided to go with just battleships to do nothing but test the contrast. Was able to build 24, now down to 17 thanks to so many unbeatable doomstacks. Was still able to defeat a few doom stacks with as many as 5 capital ships, and endless smaller torpedo spammers, resulting in a point spread like this so far.

the issue with the aimed or not status persists though, but its only a fraction as bad.

when letting the AI target things by itself, it will often just never go beyond 0% aiming status, but if i actually click on that same ship its already targeting

it magically dramatically improves the hit chance. with the 16.5in guns in the last campaign not even that would work.

right now all the bugged behavior I'm noticing these days

-aimed status ether always 0% or always 100%, nothing in between. shouldn't it build progress?

-aiming will often get stuck at 0% indefinitely unless you interfere with what the ship targets

-guns that are aimed status, have a high chance to hit, are in arc of target, will just stop autofireing. You can get it to resume if you click on the target, though often it again stops fireing after just 1 salvo

-if your going to doom stack us, at least pull ALL my ships into the battle too. Or increase the 'withdraw' chance when a fleet of more than 10 ships rolls up on you.

-being in combat is doing nothing to increase my crew training level. I have 800 navel prestige, i have a total of 364,893 victory points from fighting 3 different wars at once. The needle has not moved since the first battle of the war, the +9.4 accuracy from crew training level has remained completely unchanged, they aren't even .1% more trained than they were since day 1.

-16+ in gun stats are ungodly terrible, wile all smaller caliber main guns have extremely high hit chance wile being mostly harmless to 1920+ battleship armor. Beyond 1930 14in or 15in guns are the only guns that can hit hard enough to mater wile being able to hit at all. Put those guns stats back they way they were in the last game version, they were already balanced by their ungodly weight, right now there's hardly a difference between having no main guns, and any number of main guns 16in+.

Edited by Fangoriously