Game-Labs Forum

Manual firing of torpedoes.

GenJeFT

A nice thing to add for destroyers would be the ability to order them to fire torpedoes on a specific heading and spread. Its really annoying how badly inaccurate the AI is at launching torpedoes and it would be nice to line them up and fire a spread of torpedoes against an entire battle line instead of an inaccurate volley on one ship that will probably miss.

• Like 2

I agree. It would be nice to have a visual indicator of the spread (as well as settings to adjust the spread) as well. Usually I try targeting the 2nd ship in large formations to increase chances of hitting multiple ships in formation. Just depends on the positioning.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GenJeFT said:

A nice thing to add for destroyers would be the ability to order them to fire torpedoes on a specific heading and spread. Its really annoying how badly inaccurate the AI is at launching torpedoes and it would be nice to line them up and fire a spread of torpedoes against an entire battle line instead of an inaccurate volley on one ship that will probably miss.

My experience is that the computer is actually good at aiming the torpedoes, but the ships are sometimes ridiculously evasive (how do they expect me to effectively attack battleships are are in a confused circle?) More importantly, the computer's fire control clearly overestimates the valid arcs of the torpedoes compared to the estimate produced by the collision modeler or something, so I lose them as they are fired (and presumably hit the ship).

I think at least for the moment, they should reprogram the system so if the mount launches, the launch is automatically a success.

Well that would be extremely useful for avoiding bug that makes 1+ torpedo tubes fire 1 torp. instead 5, plus AI think that enemy ship would always stay at the same speed, and ignore change in speed (acceleration, damage deacceleration), thus making torps miss more often, and on top of that dispersion is shit garbage on long ranges

On 6/6/2020 at 5:53 AM, johnson smith said:

what's next, giving player direct gun aim. are we playing World of warship ?

I have to agree with that... The level of control abstraction seems to be around controlling ships as an admiral would (course, formation, primary and secondary targets) leaving individual battle stations (like actual gun aim, torpedo launch and damage control priorities) to AI. 

Maybe implementing some more launch options (wide/narrow/normal spread or simultaneous division launch) can be added, but i dont see too big of an issue with current way to be honest.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ArtifaX said:

I have to agree with that... The level of control abstraction seems to be around controlling ships as an admiral would (course, formation, primary and secondary targets) leaving individual battle stations (like actual gun aim, torpedo launch and damage control priorities) to AI. 

Maybe implementing some more launch options (wide/narrow/normal spread or simultaneous division launch) can be added, but i dont see too big of an issue with current way to be honest.

But we are choosing what type of ammunition to use against the target (AP/HE) and that is fine? But with sentiment that direct control  is wrong way to deal with this - it will work fine as long as you are focusing on 1:1 combat but on task force level, this will just increase the player workload. I like your suggestion with more launch options better.

But I agree that this should not be a priority at current state of the game.

• Like 1