Game-Labs Forum

trader ships knowledge slots

Great idea.  It would help me. 

Perhaps we could gain trade-XP from the amount of stuff we transport, and the XP increases with distance traveled.

Trade XP could be used for appropriate improvements; - survival, speed.   Using fighting books could be limited to slots opened with combat XP.

Always thought that I have no knowledge slots open in my trade ships cause they improve my crew's ability to fight.   Opening slots is an incentive to fight.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Earl of Grey said:

Well, i leveled my Indiaman to max by doing battles ... why you should do it by afk sailing?

Because a trade ship is intended for trading, therefore exp should be awarded for trading in it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Because a trade ship is intended for trading, therefore exp should be awarded for trading in it.

It has guns ...

But the point is: leveling ships by afk sailing is bad mechanic. You wanna Level your trader, be active and just do something ...

6 minutes ago, Earl of Grey said:

It has guns ...

But the point is: leveling ships by afk sailing is bad mechanic. You wanna Level your trader, be active and just do something ...

Completing trade missions should do it not just plain sailing, often trade missions involve getting in and out of enemy ports mot something you can do afk

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Earl of Grey said:

Well, i leveled my Indiaman to max by doing battles ... why you should do it by afk sailing?

The suggestion is XP for trading.  Not AFK sailing.

Perhaps 1 trade XP for every 1,000 tons  5,000 tons we haul 200km. But the  trade XP can only be used for speed and survival books.  

Edited by Macjimm
added tonnage
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Earl of Grey said:

Whats wrong in do some Combat Missions in it?

Cause I like trading and fishing.  :)

Your sediment likely reflects why the devs have not coded some sort of reward for exclusive trading.  Someday I hope to get some help and farm a lot of XP to open up the slots on my trade ships.  Till then my books will remain mostly unused.

Fighting is promoted.  Trading, not so much.

11 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Cause I like trading and fishing.  :)

Your sediment likely reflects why the devs have not coded some sort of reward for exclusive trading.  Someday I hope to get some help and farm a lot of XP to open up the slots on my trade ships.  Till then my books will remain mostly unused.

Fighting is promoted.  Trading, not so much.

But why you need books to trade and fish? To save 2% time meanwhile sailing? But why you should want to shorten the joy? 

10 minutes ago, Earl of Grey said:

But why you need books to trade and fish? To save 2% time meanwhile sailing? But why you should want to shorten the joy? 

I have a Lynx that I use for very high speed trips, I don't use it for trading goods or resources.  She is fast enough without books.   My other ships are Traders Brigs, and I sail them most of the time.  Occasionally I use Indiamans when sailing with other players.

I use the war server and get attacked.  I have some good speed books that would help me to flee.  The increased speed would allow me to carry more in the hold and still be reasonably fast.   The iincreased speed with Indiamans would help me keep up with other players I sail with.

I like sailing and am not trying to reduce the time at sea.  Some traders have different goals.  They do want to reduce sailing time.

@Earl of Grey What you say is absolutely right, but we also receive free XP only when traveling, both with battleships and with traders. It 's true you can indiamen go to raid other traders but I was mainly talking about the little ones, Tlynx T brig Tsnow. Those most used to lose, crafted with the cheapest materials

Edited by Conte D. Catellani

Trade ships have always been treated as fodder for pvp hunters and I do not see that changing any time in the future. Your best bet on leveling up your trader is sit there at the capital and slowly gain by beating up 7th rates or sail with a friend who can board the target while you shoot it at point blank range.