Game-Labs Forum

Gun powders.

Spitfire109

Yes. There are reasons for using different powders. They all have different stats (advantages and disadvantages) and costs. You can see each powder's stats by hovering your mouse over it during selection. Pick whichever suits you best.

For example, TNT/High TNT is good if you like to spam HE shells. And if you know you're going to rely on AP shells, then consider tube powder. Perhaps you'd like to take a more flexible approach, by selecting something more universal - with weaker bonuses, but improving both HEs and APs. Also, while some powders only have advantages, other may have disadvantages - you should always consider that, too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spitfire109 said:

Is there currently any benefit yo using different powders besides the 'newest' one for the year? For example if Tube powder and TNT are available, and you can afford TNT, is there ever a reason to use Tube Powder?

Yes, if you have ship with smaller guns like 356mm and below, u can use Tube Powder to boost their penetration and Tube Powder have much better penetration than both TNT and also still gets extra damage.

• Like 1

Battleships with lyddite is rather bad idea unless you want to make budget-cruiser-killer-pocket battleship. Lyddite is great for destroyer and light cruiser, it's damage boost is worth worse penetration due the fact that destroyer usually don't have armor (and if there is protection it rather won't stop your lyddit shell).

12 hours ago, Hussarball_PL said:

Battleships with lyddite is rather bad idea unless you want to make budget-cruiser-killer-pocket battleship. Lyddite is great for destroyer and light cruiser, it's damage boost is worth worse penetration due the fact that destroyer usually don't have armor (and if there is protection it rather won't stop your lyddit shell).

For awhile loading a BB with heavy shells, lydite, and 18" guns was unstoppable. you were blapping basically everything for high damage.

Is there anywhere where one can find what navies historically used during what time?  I'd like to be more historically accurate when doing my videos but usually can't find that information.  What information I do find the powder is called something different.

Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War by Lacroix and Wells is superb. Appendix H gives a fine history of Japanese propellants, from black powder to 1945.

Campbell's Naval Weapons of World War Two has great information on propellants of the seven major navies: UK, US, Japan, Germany, France, Italy, and Russia.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 4:30 AM, disc said:

Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War by Lacroix and Wells is superb. Appendix H gives a fine history of Japanese propellants, from black powder to 1945.

Campbell's Naval Weapons of World War Two has great information on propellants of the seven major navies: UK, US, Japan, Germany, France, Italy, and Russia.

If you have access to those sources, I suppose you might consider starting your own thread, where you could summarize your findings for people to use. 

• Like 1

I've noticed it can have a significant effect on shell trajectory. So you can choose to go for a very flat trajectory with light shells, white-powder and a relatively small calibre gun(which have higher velocity). Or you can go for more plunging arcs if you go super-heavy shells, tube-powder and a high calibre gun. Both have advantages and disadvantages in terms of where you hit an enemy ship(belt or deck). I'm not sure if shell velocity has any effect on accuracy at the moment, but I imagine firing over a very flat arc with high velocity might make aiming easier. I believe shell velocity might also have an effect on armour penetration. But I'm not sure if or how that is modelled in the game at the moment, since there is a separate stat for that.  

On 3/10/2020 at 2:35 AM, Shaftoe said:

Heavy, but not Super Heavy?

super heavy if you can afford it.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, Wowzery said:

Is there anywhere where one can find what navies historically used during what time?  I'd like to be more historically accurate when doing my videos but usually can't find that information.  What information I do find the powder is called something different.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/index_weapons.php

Navweps has everything. just click nation and pick the gun.