Game-Labs Forum

AI Kraken

Yeah ok your just another kraken hater. The Kraken is a gigantic squid most likely exist because of evidence, its not "fictional".

In my earlier post I actually said I was for this suggestion.

But the Kraken as depicted in popular culture, is not real. There is no scientific basis for it, at all. You will never find a ships log detailing an attack by one, a carcass washed ashore or indeed any evidence that a cephalopod of the reported legendary sizes ever having existed.

If some variation of the Kraken existed, It could be a Colossal Squid, but even then, even the most extreme scientists put their size estimates far below what could attack, or sink ships.

If this happened in game it would have to be a joke. A 1st April thing similar to Gaijin's giant snail in War Thunder. Adding it as a lasting serious element just wouldn't fly. Thinking about it while the game is in alpha is way too early.

In my earlier post I actually said I was for this suggestion.

But the Kraken as depicted in popular culture, is not real. There is no scientific basis for it, at all. You will never find a ships log detailing an attack by one, a carcass washed ashore or indeed any evidence that a cephalopod of the reported legendary sizes ever have existed.

If some variation of the Kraken existed, It could be a Colossal Squid, but even then, even the most extreme scientists put their size estimates far below what could attack, or sink ships.

That's your assertion.There actually is evidence to support the existence of kraken. For example historical literature from early period of age of sail describes these beasts in norway recorded in Konungs skuggsjá. It's likely that only a few krakens existed during this time. Popular culture exaggerates its size. The true size was slightly smaller than a sperm whale, which would have been large enough to attack ships.

If this happened in game it would have to be a joke. A 1st April thing similar to Gaijin's giant snail in War Thunder. Adding it as a lasting serious element just wouldn't fly. Thinking about it while the game is in alpha is way too early.

Your comment is a joke and without rational thought. Please show me the evidence of a giant snail the size of Godzilla ever existing?

Can't tell if your for it, against it, or trolling. But allow me to debunk some of those ideas in your mind...

Giants were real but were on land and not from age of sail period. Any "Seadragons" would of been a dinosaur, again not from age of sail period... There is zero evidence for Mermaids...

Giant squids are real creatures that exist today so putting the Kraken in the same category as Gnomes is like comparing apples and oranges.

Why should I be trolling

I just would like for this game to be accurate, not only technical details but also in social aspects of age of sail. Superstitious beliefs were very common and I would really like to see them in the game. I would also like to see the slavetrading, genocide of the native population of north and south americas, looting of the africa, killing and thieving for your religion and nation. Age of privateers, Opium and tea trading etc..

Actually putting gnomes, unicorns, giants, onelegged humanoids, witches and such together with Kraken is the right thing to do.

Put personally I'm against putting only one of them in to the game, i call for all or nothing.

Spirits, bad omens, monsters and gnomes were just as real as Kraken for the sailors who lived in the timeframe of NA. At the given timeframe, there were actually more proofs about demons and gnomes than krakens.

If theres a kraken, there should be also protective forces, where gnomes as an example come to play.

Buy a gnome for your ship and be saved from the damnations of the sea.

Gnomes were helping people as long as you respected them and took care of them.

Stay safe from a kraken, invest in gnomes.

No gnomes and such, no kraken.

• Like 1

That's your assertion.

No, that's the popular assertion.

Konungs skuggsjá.

Which provided the following description of the "Kraken":

"because the times he has shown before men, he has appeared more like land than like a fish."

"It is said to be the nature of these fish that when one shall desire to eat, then it stretches up its neck with a great belching, and following this belching comes forth much food, so that all kinds of fish that are near to hand will come to present location"

"but this great fish lets its mouth stand open the while, and the gap is no less wide than that of a great sound or fjord"

Not exactly scientific observations, and the description here does not give any indication that the Kraken was a cephalopod. These early descriptions of the Kraken, back then called a Hafgufa, bear much more resemblance to a whale than squid or octopus. Furthermore, the author of Konungs skuggsj made no reference that he had actually made any of these observations himself.

The true size was slightly smaller than a sperm whale, which would have been large enough to attack ships.

This estimate would put your Kraken at between 10-18 meters in length, correct? Which coincides with the more liberal theories on cephalopod size, as I explained earlier.

To summarize; The Kraken as described in the Norse Sagas, and other early sources has no evidence to support It's existence. There simply put, has never been any squid or octopus observed, or documented properly, with the size to attack any sailing ship.

But scientific theories suggest that some Colossal Squid could attain sizes between 10-20 meters in length. The Kraken could be real in the sense that sure, there's a chance there exist some big ass squid out there, but even at 20 meters, they wouldn't pose a large threat to most ships.

Why should I be trolling

I just would like for this game to be accurate, not only technical details but also in social aspects of age of sail. Superstitious beliefs were very common and I would really like to see them in the game. I would also like to see the slavetrading, genocide of the native population of north and south americas, looting of the africa, killing and thieving for your religion and nation. Age of privateers, Opium and tea trading etc..

Actually putting gnomes, unicorns, giants, onelegged humanoids, witches and such together with Kraken is the right thing to do.

Put personally I'm against putting only one of them in to the game, i call for all or nothing.

Spirits, bad omens, monsters and gnomes were just as real as Kraken for the sailors who lived in the timeframe of NA. At the given timeframe, there were actually more proofs about demons and gnomes than krakens.

If theres a kraken, there should be also protective forces, where gnomes as an example come to play.

Buy a gnome for your ship and be saved from the damnations of the sea.

Gnomes were helping people as long as you respected them and took care of them.

Stay safe from a kraken, invest in gnomes.

No gnomes and such, no kraken.

Yeah accept we are talking about real creatures here not fantasy animals/gnomes. Oh and people still believe in spirits today (including myself), so that's certainly not a time period thing.

Kraken is not a superstition. We have reported sightings of them in norway and have the historic documents describing them.

Yeah accept we are talking about real creatures here not fantasy animals/gnomes. Oh and people still believe in spirits today (including myself), so that's certainly not a time period thing.

Kraken is not a superstition. We have reported sightings of them in norway and have the historic documents describing them.

Dont shoot down gnomes. We have reported sightings about them in Finland.

Actually theres even juridical cases from 17th or maybe 18th century where gnomes were trialed for causing fires which destroyed some buildings near the city I live in.

Unfortunately they couldnt catch one so they had to give the sentence without seeing the criminal, but in theory police should be still looking for them.

Even today gnomes are looking after our children. If children behave baddly gnomes will report to the parents, or in a severe case straight to father christmass.

Gnomes are just as real as Kraken. No gnomes, no Kraken.

Edit. Nice that you agreed about spirits.

Quite simply it isn't worth the effort to put something such as this in the game.

Why should Game Labs spend time and resources on implementing something that will almost certainly detract from the experience for the majority of players?

Excellent first post and pretty much my thoughts as well.

What could you do if there were a Kraken in game ? well nothing tbh unless some little mini game hitting tentacles with a knife.

For me a random event during deap sea voyages might be

"Damage incurred from hitting Wreckage"

"Damage incurred from hitting a whale or maybe the fabled Kraken"

"Damage incurred from freak gale strength gust of wind"

"Damage incurred from freak rogue wave"

I'd like to clarify my stance on this suggestion;

I would love to see marine fauna in game, but not necessarily as AI encounters, but purely cosmetic things. To me, It's a lot of unnecessary extra work for the developers to start coding krakens and fishes. But simply animations of animals while out at sea would really help immersion.

A "kraken" (I think we just need clarification on the terminology), or colossal squid would just be a rare sighting among these, I'd find that quite thrilling.

• 1 month later...